Author Topic: Distrestoration - for those with imagination but not many photos  (Read 14718 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Distrestoration - for those with imagination but not many photos
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
There are some very lucky people on RC with an amazing collection of early photographs, some with a few and some with none. I fall into the middle category. I have lots from 20th century but only a few precious ones from the 19th.
To make my accounts of my Ancestors more interesting - just text is a wee bit dull - I have done the usual of going around places they lived and taken masses of photos.

But what of these non-imaged Ancestors - what did they look like, what did they wear? I've now come up with a possible solution based on techniques I used in my artworks. I try to get a feel for them in my head and imagine them. Now I'm going to create  images about them from that.

When I last did this, I was using chemical/darkroom techniques and it took ages - processing rephotographing etc. With digital photography, scanning and graphics programs, it can be done so much faster.

Here is an example of something I did 10 years ago. It is from a series I did about an old story of a drowning accident circa 1900. The subject of this image was the widow of one of the men. She had lived in an old cottage we then had. I didn't know what she looked like but did some research and imagined her. I then photgraphed someone and processed the resulting film - printing on soft 'art' paper, wetting it and crumpling it, re-photgraphing, painting various bits with developer to get differential development and printing up. This process was repeated a few times. It was part of an exhibition of Creative Women's Photography - Birmingham and touring.

Today, it's easy - why don't you all have a go.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Distrestoration - for those with imagination but not many photos
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 17:49 BST (UK) »

Well .... I cheated a bit ....... did I say that  ??? ??? ???

My Granddad was supposed to look like his father .... ( no photo !!) and in later life everybody thought he looked like the actor Michael Horden ........ so ....... I got a picture of Michael Horden - rubbed a bit of wood stain around the edges and put it in a photoframe - and I tell everybody it's a facsimile of my Great Granddad !!  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
As most Americans don't know who Michael Horden is ...... they just smile and say OK Annie .... whatever !!  :) :) :) :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 18:14 BST (UK) »

As most Americans don't know who Michael Horden is ...... they just smile and say OK Annie .... whatever !!  :) :) :) :)

Not just the American, Annie  ;)

Good for you - why not if he looked like him.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
Today, it's easy - why don't you all have a go.

You must need a woman's imagination to do this I think!! :o

I can't see a face from 10 days ago let alone 110 years!

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Just let the right side of your brain take over and you can imagine anything, Keith ::) ::) ::)

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 06 00:41 BST (UK) »
I'm concerned now!  ???

I'm beginning to think I don't have a left side to my brain.  :(

I tend to think in pictures and your pseudorestoration appeals. So far I haven't had to resort to subterfuge as I'm one of the lucky ones with a few pre-1900 originals but nothing so far on my wife's side from that era so this idea will be stored on the left side 'cos there's lots of room  ;D  ;D  ;D

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 06 01:21 BST (UK) »
But with my approach Russell, you can produce images from before the advent of photography  ;)

Get that right side working - the left can speak for itself  :)

Gadget

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 06 01:48 BST (UK) »
So I can genuinely say

"Come up and see my etchings"    leer,  leer

Having chosen nursing as a career Keith's  suggestion that it was a woman's way of thinking got me wondering if there is something about the way male/female brains are wired up when it comes to visualisation of things   - or is it just that my wires are crossed.

Too late now for this.  Work calls tomorrow (today actually)

Bed where is thy spring ?  to misquote a more famous personage.

Night all     -  that's not advertising is it ?
Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 06 01:55 BST (UK) »
Don't worry about Keith, Russell - he's got far too many photos already - have you seen his website  :P
Anyway, his right side should be fine as he's left handed.
What he actually said was incorrect, but who am I to critcise him, he said he couldn't remember faces - I wasn't talking about memory, I was talking about imagination ;)
And with all those Scottish problems we've been dealing with, I think all our right sided skills have had to be used tonight ;)

G'night

Gadget  :)