Author Topic: Lancashire Records of Machester and Salford Reform School  (Read 3271 times)

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lancashire Records of Machester and Salford Reform School
« on: Saturday 05 August 06 07:11 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be going to the Lancashire Records Office.  I have been told that there are records there for The Manchester and Salford Reformatory for Juveniles.  I was interested in Albert and his brother Henry Ashworth who were on the 1871 census for this school.  The records office said I could visit there, and look at the records.  However, I live in Australia, so it would be a bit difficult.  They have give me some reference numbers to look at.  If anyone is visiting there, and could look anything up for me, I could give them the reference  information.    I would appreciate any help I can get.

Sabrina.

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Records of Machester and Salford Reform School
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 06 10:10 BST (UK) »
I will more than likely be going on Monday to the records office ,if not in the next couple of weeks.If you want to send the details I will look them up.

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 07:11 BST (UK) »
Dotty/ I would appreciate if you could at least try and help me.  I know time is prescious.  I am mostly interested in Albert AShworth, but as Henry was his brother, there might be some info. to help:
Ref:DDX 1791/6/17 License and Discharge Book, 1869-1873 Shows Albert Ashworth in 1 page tab form.  shows dates of admission and final discharge

Ref:DDX 1791/6/17 see above: an entry for Henry Ashworth

Ref:DDX 1791/6/24 entry for Albert Ashworth  in note book form, with comments about his progress up to year 1877

Ref:DDX 1791/6/27 After care Report Book 1873-1880 Brief entry on Henry Ashworth about his progress till 1881.

Iwas really looking for their parents, but could be impossible. Thank you

sabrina

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 06 19:43 BST (UK) »
Albert Ashworth reg no 208 admitted 23rd June 1869 ,he was sent out on Licence in November 1872 to work for Mr Siddall of Blackley.He was finally discharged 22nd June 18??.In the column on the right there was a remark-- doing well.This was out of the main book.
Notebook
Jan 1873 Doing well
Jan 1874 doing well    Rochdale[dont't know what that referred to ]
Dec 1874 Doing well
Jan 1877 doing well   visited last year
Out of the minute book  a page showing 208- A Ashworth period of detention 5 years ,admitted 22nd June 1869 Time served three years and seven months  remarks very promising.
The details of Henry as above except his number was 209

Henry Ashworth admitted 23rd of June 1869 ,He was sent out on licence on April 30th 1873 to work for Mr Brennan of Blackley and to stay with his mother who removed to Blackley from Rochdale. Dec 31st 1873 doing well
74/75 doing well at Rochdale
1875 doing well
75/76 visited the school in November
1877  Jan doing well
1878 Jan doing well
1879 Jan doing well Dec 1879 not heard since Jan.

Still not really having found why they were there I looked up info on the school
In 1853 a meeting was held to consider building another Ragged School in Manchester.The institution was to be affiliated to the Manchester Juvenile Refuge and was to be known as the Angel Meadow and Ancoats Ragged and Reformatory School for boys and girls .it was built in Mayes Street and opened in 1854.Many of the boys admitted had been found guilty of theft.This school soon shut after an outbrak of fever and eventually in 1857  new premises were opened in Blackley ,it opened as a Ragged school  the reason being given for this--because it was impossible to cast loose upon the streets ,to throwunprotected upon their former habits and temptations,boys who had expressed and to some extent proved their desire to reform.
The boys were provided with religious education and taught industrial traing and employment.
In the weekly minutes for the week 23rd JJune 1869 ---- admission of Henry Ashworth and Albert Ashworth from the county jail

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 05:55 BST (UK) »
Dotty

Thank you so much for finding this information.  It would appear that they were naughty boys.  At least I now know when they were sent there.   However, I still have to prove their parents.  It would appear to be them in the 1861 census with William and Ann (the ages fit), who had more children in the 1871 census, but Henry and Albert were not with them.  One day I might be able to find some records where they went in and their parents were mentioned.  Thank you for your valuable time.

Sabrina

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
Sabrina What are their ages and the details of the censuses please?I will see if I can find any more about them if you want.Have you seen another entry on the A2A site for an Albert Ashworth in 1877/8 do you think this may be him re- offending?

Dotty

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
Dotty

My Albert was on the 1881 census aged 25 with wife Amelia, Sons Frank 8, Henry 2.  The 1871 census shows an Albert Ashworth 15 in the reform school, with a Henry aged 14years.  In the 1861 census, there is a William and Ann Ashworth with sons Albert 6yrs and Henry 4 yrs and Elizabeth 2 yrs.  In the 1871 census, William and Ann have Elizabeth 12 yrs and  more children but no Albert and Henry.  All of these boys (Albert and Henry) look to be the same children.  However, I can't prove it.  What is the A2A.  The records you sent me state that Henry was allowed to live with his mother in 1873 after she had moved to Blackley from Rochdaleto look after him.  Would she have moved if she had all of the other children.  William and Ann were on the 1881 census in Castleton with 3 children.

Sabrina

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 August 06 16:11 BST (UK) »
Sabrina where were William and Ann on the 1871 census?The A2A is Access to the Archives----.www.a2a.org.uk/  -- very informative.

Dotty

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
Sabrina
Have you noticed the entry on the IGI records for Henry son of William and Ann, born 1856 but wasn't christened until June 1868,there's nothing showing for Albert though.If it is the same family it would appear that the offence took place 1868/69 I wonder how long they were in the county jail before they were admitted to the reform school.

Dotty