Author Topic: HEALY bmd lookups and advice please  (Read 5376 times)

Offline tuttycotton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEALY bmd lookups and advice please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help I’ll certainly get cracking to find more hidden ancestry.

Offline tuttycotton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Quite a lot of information on the Irish genealogy website… a lot of name’s Anastasia Ryan

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Quite a lot of information on the Irish genealogy website… a lot of name’s Anastasia Ryan

That is why I haven't been able to assist you - too many Ryans  :D
and best not to mix Ryans and Healy in same thread anyway.
Also, you didn't provide any details on timescales, or whether you have people further back than the ones you mentioned earlier.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Actually, I thought of another set of records - court records.
Those New Ross Healys were a divil of a bunch - up before the law all the time in the 1850s and 60s!
Including Darby Healy in 1862, which gives his address - Irishtown, New Ross.
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/bantry/saint-marys/irishtown/

No wonder they all ended up in the Antipodes - probably a free vacation as a guest of Her Majesty!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 21:06 GMT (UK) »
May not be a joke - I next turned to prison registers:
Jerh. Healy, Co. Wexford, aged 23, sentenced to 7 years transportation.... For larceny, but also says sheep stealing.
Has physical description, a tailor.
That was in 1852. I think they were usually released early - returned to Wexford?

Could he be your chap? -  Would depend on whether prisoners ever returned from Australia (they could), and if he could get back in time for the birth of son Thomas in New Ross in August 1858?
But there is also the basic question of whether he actually would have been transported - he may have been sentenced to transportation, but I believe it had virtually ceased in practice by 1853? Instead sentences commuted to imprisonment in Ireland.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I believe there are extensive Australian records on the "Guests of Her Majesty". Perhaps could follow this chap from the bottom end, if he made it "down under"?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 06:23 GMT (UK) »
A search at the NAI returned the following:
https://findingaids.nationalarchives.ie/index.php?simpleSearchSbm=true&category=18&subcategory=147&searchDescTxt=jeremiah+healy&simpleSearchSbm=Search#searchfocus

Match 1 from 'Ireland-Australia transportation database'
Last name:   
HEALY

First name:   
JEREMIAH

Full name:   
JEREMIAH HEALY

Sex:   
M

Trial place:   
Co. Wexford

Trial date:   
22/06/1852

Crime desc:   
Larceny and former conviction of felony

Sentence:   
Transportation 7 yrs

Document ref1:   
TR 12, p 164

Comment1:   
Convict ordered to be discharged, 14/07/1856

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer, wow, thanks so much for that very interesting information, and more suggestions.

My Thomas Joseph Healy and his brother Michael came to Australia as immigrants rather than convicts. However. It is quite possible that their father Jeremiah/Darby might have been on the wrong side of the law.

My reasons for thinking this?  My second cousin once removed (who I met through being a DNA match) told me some stories which were passed down her family about Thomas Joseph and his brother Michael - stories related to bushrangers and some gun-toting. I have lost many of our early emails but have been in contact with her recently so will ask if she can re-tell the stories. It seems that at some stage the brothers might have teetered on the edge of lawlessness, so there might have been something in the water.  ;D

I’m going to go over all the information you’ve found ahout this Jeremiah. Thanks so much.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 December 23 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer, following on from your previous help, I contacted my second cousin once removed who related a couple of family stories about my direct ancestor Thomas Joseph Healy and his brother Michael.

Apparently they hated the English, and were on the run from English soldiers for poaching and/or anti British activity when their mother told them to go to Australia. Another story was that they put someone down a well!  :o

I have looked at the BNA newspaper link and the NAI site but couldn’t see any mention of them which coukd mean I was doing something wrong, or they didn’t do enough wrong to get a mention (or weren’t caught). I wonder if it would have been covered in any local newspapers or you have any other sources or ideas on where I could search to find out more about these boys?

The Healy brothers arrived in Australia in 1884 so all this must have taken place prior to that.

This all leads me to think that the Jeremiah Healy who was tried and convicted in 1852 could well be the correct Jeremiah Healy, despite that one’s occupation of “Tailor”.

Thanks for any more help you can offer.  :)