Author Topic: Geddis/Houston  (Read 13700 times)

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Geddis/Houston
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 March 07 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tees,
you are being kind. will let you know after this afternoon
Bye
Liz

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 March 07 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Me agai,
That ref. I mentioned was for Matthew Ernest, Annie's brother, hers was 1 - 19.
any point in getting his too do you think?
Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 00:04 GMT (UK) »
When I was looking at LDS a few years ago I found a Marianne Geddis b. Antrim 4th qtr. 1896  ref
1 - 679 but was then told  not able to access that. Would I be able to if I sent that  ref. number to GROireland or GROuk (not a lot of faith in the latter, they couldn't work out that Samuel was the same as Sam even with the ref. number when sending for my paternal g.father's birth cert.)

This birth registration you found sounds very likely to be her. That explains why the Family Ulster said nothing because they were following your instruction that you were looking for Anne Geddis.

Right year, right place of birth. Ummm....

Wait until you get ahold of 1901 Census and see what you find.

Thing about the reference number they are only good if you order from the GRO in Belfast, the GRO in Roscommon do not do that. Both GROs do need the reference number for the marriages.

I think you are onto something now. I would like us to wait for 1901 Census.

When you apply for the birth certificate, please try to spell her father in full as both GROs are sticklers for the exact information. If I were you, I will just fill the form out that you are looking for a Marianne Geddis born in 1896 in Co. Antrim and the parents are unknown. BUT we do know who her parents are, right? So better to add father's full name. We will work together on this one when we get there.

Good luck and have a fun at the LDS centre.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

If you are confident that he is your Granny's brother. Go for it. Just forget about the reference information.

Apply to the GRO in Dublin for a photocopy for 6 euros.

I think you can get a photocopy of his birth entry at the LDS centre, too. Yes, a full birth entry--just for a small fee (much cheaper than 6 euros!).

Do enquire at the LDS and see what you can get.

If his birth entry matches up with the marriage registration I found, then we have a right family!

You already have this information--that is great!!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Tees, I did have ANNIE on my requests, anyway, must fly, have to put the car in for service.
BFN Liz

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tees,
Been to LDS, not a great deal of help there, nice ladies but did not know a great deal about Irish stuff, however I did get them to look at street references for 1901 census & ordered film for Mayo St but was told you can't search for head of households so if Geddis family didn't live at Mayo Street in 1901 how on earth do you find out where they did live? It seems there will be a lady there tonight who knows more about Irish info so will give her a ring. They don't do birth entries there so will have to send for certs to GRO or Proni but will ask said lady tonight before I do. I thought  that the Ernest Matthew was right but his birth is given as 2nd qtr but his birthday is March 20th so perhaps not right after all but worth a look? 1st qtr would be Jan/Feb/Mar? But the Lisburn & year are right.
That's all I have for now, the Mayo St. film will take between 2 & 4 weeks so not much to do before that,
Regards,
Liz

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi once more Tees,
spoke to lady at LDS tonight, she wasn't sure but feels you can order a film for a whole district & not just one street like I was told today, she'll get back some time.
Look forward to a further exciting instalment - some time!
Regards,
Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I thought  that the Ernest Matthew was right but his birth is given as 2nd qtr but his birthday is March 20th so perhaps not right after all but worth a look? 1st qtr would be Jan/Feb/Mar? But the Lisburn & year are right.

Hi Liz,

Since he was born on 20th March, his parents may have registered his birth next month as I think you have 6 weeks to do it.

So 2nd Quarter, year & Lisburn are right! Go ahead and order the photocopy of his birth entry from the GRO in Roscommon as it is much cheaper than from the Belfast GRO in the NZ dollar terms.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi once more Tees,
spoke to lady at LDS tonight, she wasn't sure but feels you can order a film for a whole district & not just one street like I was told today, she'll get back some time.
Look forward to a further exciting instalment - some time!
Regards,
Liz

Hi Liz!

Delighted with the progress you are making now!! This lady was correct--you will be looking at the whole district, not a street!

Looking forward to your next finding! :)

Kind regards,

Tees