Author Topic: Ann Johnstone  (Read 13398 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Johnstone
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 July 07 23:16 BST (UK) »
Wooooooo

Finally found the correct death - 1892, Kirkpatrick Fleming, aged 68. Ann Irving, Maiden surname Johnston.

You will be able to get the parents' details from this cert

Gadget :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 July 07 12:06 BST (UK) »
How flukey is that - two Christopher Irvings born around 1817 in Kirkpatrick Fleming.  Ah, I see the correct one was born cir 1819.   Well, you know what they say - never assume.   ;D

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 07 12:57 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D Nell, I though you were infallible!

I've found an Ann Johnston in Kirkpatrick Fleming in the 1841

Williamsfield, KF, DFS

District 837 ED 4

Samuel Johnston, 60, cotton handloom weaver
Jean, 55,
Joseph, 22, cotton handloom weaver
Ann, 17
Mary, 13

All born Dumfriesshire

The IGI has a patron submission for Ann:

b. 1824, Fleming, Dumfries. Parents - Samuel Johnstone and Jean Bell

Also a similar one for brother Joseph. b. 1819

Although it's a patron submission the dates and names do seem to fit. I'd check up on the death cert if I were you.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Trapper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 07 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for help everyone, much appreciated

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 July 07 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Trapper

Anne  Johnstone's parents were Samuel Johnstone and Jean Bell. 
Jane Johnston, aged 75 and a widow, was living next to Christopher and Ann Irving in Hollee Village, Kirkpatrick Fleming in 1861, with two daughters and son all unmarried and born in KFL (Kirkpatrick Fleming). Janet was 44, Joseph was 41and Mary 33.  Joseph was deaf and dumb at birth, Jane was a Bobbin Winder as was Mary.  Janet and Joseph were Cotton Weavers.

In 1851 Christopher and Ann Irving were at Hollee Village, KFL with their three children Jane (4), Jannet (3) and John (11 months).  All were born in KFL and Christopher was a Joiner or Carpenter.
The births/baptisms of all three children are shown in the KFL register (Let me know if you want these.).  However the marriage of Christopher and Ann is not shown in KFL.

In 1841, Ann Johnstone (17) is living at Williamsfield, KFL.  She is with her parents(?) Samuel and Jean Johnston – 60 and 55 respectively and both born in  the county (Dumfriesshire).  Samuel was a Cooton HLW (Hand Loom Weaver).  With them are Joseph Johnston (22) -a Cotton HLW like his father(?) and Mary Johnston (13).   Note this Jean Johnston (55) and the Jane Johnston in 1861 aged 75 and Joseph – 22 in 1841 and 44 in 1861 – and Mary – 13 in 1841 and 33 in 186.

I cannot locate a baptism in KFL for either Joseph or Ann but can for Mary in KFL thus; 
2nd Dec 1827   Johnstone     Mary Bell, lawful daughter of Samuel Johnstone & Jean Bell, Williamsfield.  There was also a baptism in 1832 of James, lawful son of Samuel Johnstone & Jean Bell, Williamsfield.  Born July 23rd.

On the 31st October 1780 there is a baptism of Samuel Johnston , son of Joseph Johnston in Kirkpatrick.

Source of this information is from booklets of the Records of Kirkpatrick Fleming published by the D & G Natural History & Antiquarian Society  and funded by the Ann Hill Bequest.
What about Christopher?  You should now be able to get Jean/Jane's parents from her Death Certificate in due course :)

Regards    Reiver

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 July 07 19:05 BST (UK) »
Glad that all my findings proved correct  :)

Gadget

Offline Trapper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 July 07 20:55 BST (UK) »
My Christopher & ann Irving had a daughter Margaret b.1843/44, would she not be mentioned on the 1851 census

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 July 07 20:58 BST (UK) »
Ifyou go to the dumgal link I gave you to the 1851, Trapper, you'll find her, aged 1, daughter of Christopher.  Maybe the first one died and this was a child named the same.

Gadget

Offline Trapper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 July 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Reiver & Gadget
what a wealth of info, I never expected all that, absolutely brilliant, thanks so much