Author Topic: George W Rix - Wisbeach/Cromer/Erpingham- COMPLETED  (Read 6579 times)

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George W Rix - Wisbeach/Cromer/Erpingham-
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 August 07 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Teddy

Thanks for the message.

That's very true! Also, there are all the spelling mistakes, wrong ages etc etc - maybe they didn't want to make it too easy for their descendants........... ::)

Hilary

Lancaster- L. Buzzard  Johnson - Northampts
Lancaster, Perryer-Fulham
Clifford - London, ssx, S Africa, Berks, Wilts  
Divall-Ssx  Randall-Ssx, Surrey 
Rossi-Sienna Notts Leics London   
Brimfield    Seton 
Rix - Norfolk   Burke - Co Clare

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 August 07 17:33 BST (UK) »
Just looked where you are, never been to that part of France.  I worked just outside Tours in 1978 and I love to visit France every year if I can, to keep up my language skills.

Went to Dol last year and Coutances, where I have an old friend from those days.  My school pen-pal lives just outside Orleans.  Oh, I'm getting homesick for the old place just thinking about it..............

You lucky person.

What made you take the plunge?  Something I couldn't do as I'm too stuck to good old Norfolk, perhaps a summer house in Norfolk and a winter chateau in the Loire????  Now that's a thought.

Sorry about my ramblings.............................. I'm getting old!

Have some pate and baguette for me!

Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 August 07 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Teddy!

The pâté and baguette was very nice - I had a glass of red wine too..................  I never thought I'd live in France (or Brittany, as I should say!), but I met my Froggie husband while working in Germany and we now live in the village where he was born - and where his ancestors go back at least to the 16OOs, probably earlier....................Our "cul-de-sac" (only our house there) is actually named after his family - "Duliscouët"...We're not far from Lorient, which is where there the Interceltic Festival is held - on at the moment, bagpipes galore............. I go to England once a year and think it is WONDERFUL!!!

Now back to the Rixes - I've found an Ann Cook in the 1871 census living in Lambeth, born County Clare - the date of birth is wrong, but she has a daughter called Alice and her age fits.... The husband is called Richard.  However, no trace of any of them in 1881  - Maybe Richard has already popped his clogs, as  Ann is a widower in 1891................ And the children went into service or to family in England or Ireland?  I'm still looking as I'm definitely not going to give up - I'll order George and Alice's marriage certificate today, which might confirm Richard is the father - or not!

Off to work now.........

A bientôt

Hilary
Brimfield    Seton 

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 August 07 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hello again!
I have now received the marriage certificate for George William Rix and Alice Cook(e). Married on the 3rd April 1892 at St Anne's Church, Wandsworth.  George's father is given as William and he is a labourer, address looks like Swaffield Road.

Now for my question!  ??? - Alice's father is named on the birth certificate, but in the 1891 census her mother Ann is a widower. Did they put father's name and occupation on the wedding certificates even if he was deceased? His profession was "decorator". Unfortunately - I am having trouble reading the father's name - looks like Francis (or Mavis, but I think that's out!!! ;D) - so - what do I do now? I've tried Francis Cook in the 1881 census and can't find one married to Ann.....  Maybe they were still in Ireland then....

Should I give up - or can anyone help me along please ?!

Looking forward to you tips and thoughts ........

Many thanks -
Hilary

ps - the Bridget mentioned in my former posts would seem to be Alice's Grandmother, who was born in County Clare -
Brimfield    Seton 

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 August 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Bonjour Hilary,

Yes, the father would usually be named on the marriage cert even if he was dead...

Pleeease tell us the father's name could be Richard  :P :D
I had a look at the Ann you found in 1871(RG10/674 107 48), and her husband Richard is a house decorator ... (In 1861, they are at RG9/352 108 7) 

... and 1881:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881&indiv=try&h=20734508
RG11/605 147 26
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 August 07 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Tati
you are RIGHT ;D - the name on the marriage certificate definitely isn't Richard - but the 1881 census you have found definitely IS my lot! I just never think of looking for a surname that is different - I do look for wrongly spelt names, or a missing 'e' as in Cook and Cooke - but I would never have thought to have looked for CORK!! Next time I'll know....................
I am very grateful as I was slowly going mad trying to figure this out..... Now I have to try and find Ann's family in Ireland!
Merci beaucoup again ;)!!

Hilary
Brimfield    Seton