Author Topic: where do i begin?!!  (Read 4762 times)

Offline ROLYMO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where do i begin?!!
« on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
hi all ! what a fab site
ive been planning on doing some family research for ages, and have finally found time -  all i have to go on at the mo is my grandmothers name,dob,place of birth,dod - my grandfathers name (her husband) and my fathers (her son) name,dob,place of birth.

there are loads of sites to look at, and im getting confused !

is it possible to make a start from the info i have - where is the best place to start?

im hoping to follow my grandmothers line first

ive tried speaking to exsisting family members, but they are all elderly and not able to remember much

thanks in advance for any help  :)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where do i begin?!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:08 GMT (UK) »
the first thing would be to find your grandparents marriage entry and certificate this would enable you to find their fathers names. alternatively if you already have your grandparents birth certs, then the marriage cert will not be needed as the birth cert will tell you their father and mothers name and also should show the mothers maiden name, the next step would be to find the marriage for them. (your grandparents parents)

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rolymo,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Why not just post your grandmother's details and we'll see what we can do from there  8)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:12 GMT (UK) »
much more satisfaction if you can do it yourself !

Work back from known events by obtaining Certs until you have a name who was alive in 1901, then you can march back thru the census as early as 1841 - then its Parish Registers ...

If you cant find someone on a census, people here - like Tati are very good at teasing out mis-spellings and mistranscriptions

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rolymo,

Welcome to RootsChat

Let's hope we can help you -you may have to purchase some certificates along the way - (always a good idea to confirm information.

Just remember not to post the names of any living person .

As you have d.o.d. for your gran , would you like to post all the details you have ? especially d.o.b.  and maybe one of us can help you .

If you post details on the board for the county she was born in -look up request section -I'm sure you will receive help and guidance

1881 census is available free at family search

Some BMD's are available at FreeBMD.

If you state that you would like guidance to using free sites at certain points please state that.

Hoefully from Gran's birth we may be able to find some info on the 1901 census, then 1891 then you can be guided to 1881 etc

Look forward to reading your post

Happy Hunting

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROLYMO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:21 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the speedy replies,

my grandmothers name is/was Annie may Rowlands (nee Reed) dob 4/10/1916 in Newport (Wales) she passed away on 8/4/01

I always thought all my fathers side were welsh, but have discovered my grandmothers family lived not far from where i live now, id love to be able to find out where and when.

is it possible to research without spending too much money?  time i have , money i dont !! ;D

so i need to find my grandmothers parents , then i can find more through the census - am i on the right track?

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Annual Sub to Ancestry - circa £60 .... FreeBMD - as it says ....... Certs £7.00 .... a question or four on here - priceless !

:)

PS. Yes, you are on the right track  :)

DoBs for Annie's children - and Grandfathers forenames ?

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Theres an Annie M. Reed born 4Q 1916 Merthyr Tydfil - mothers maiden name is Bennett
Vol 11a Page 1311

See Toni's find - but MMN = Marsh

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:36 GMT (UK) »
well i searced for a An* Re* birth in Newport M 1915-1917 and only 1 popped up so thats good
here it is:~

REED Annie   mmn. Harsh   Newport M.11a   583   Q4   1916  

if you want to buy her cert. fromt he GRO you will need the ref no. above plus the reg district which is Newport M

you can see from this that her mothers maiden name was Harsh so the next step would be to look for a marriage with a Mr Reed and a Miss Harsh
you can also look for siblings

by putting in surname Reed mmn. Harsh  (but i can't see any)

form Q4 1911 mothers maidens names were included in the index, this makes it easier to find.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive