Author Topic: Two Marriages? 1923-1955  (Read 7165 times)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Two Marriages? 1923-1955
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
I think he might be referring to Edith's death cert?

Which I think he is now saying that his dad has and now does mention her 'hubby's' name.

I think  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
Oh ... I see!

"husband" as in who registered the death

Not "husband" as in groom at a marriage.

So (havnet got that coffee yet, so not that with it) looking at the very first post - where does the idea that Mr J died 1954-60 come from? Or is that a pure guess with no back up at all? He was alive in 1956 if he registered death, and was a Richard not an Albert/Alfred.

No room for guesses in this game!

Plenty of room for coffee, though.... ;D

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
Yeah it was on the death certificate all along, the daughter registered the death and it says wife of Richard William Jennings.  It says Edith Ellen Jennings which is odd.  As I'd been told way back he was a Merchant Navy Officer.  I heard that he didn't live that long as his dying solved a dispute with the daughter.  I've ordered the 1916 marriage certifcate though now (see below).   

I'm sure Edith called her children Wrenn even though she was called Edith Penfold formerly Buxton because he lived with her a brief time but after a few years they lived separately, he'd moved to weston super mare by the war and he died in 1945.   As for Mr Penfold he might be one of the many WWI dead.

Ta very much finding the marriage, it saves me alot of time.
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, there is a birth reg in 1884 in Oakham Leic. for an Edith Ellen Buxton?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 August 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
Do let us know when you receive the certs(and what they say) won't you Chris-and maybe we'll be able to make more sense of this family and help you further.

Carol

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 August 08 18:46 BST (UK) »
The marriage in 1916 says:
27th April 1916

Name and Surname: Edward Penfold age: 41, condition: widower, rank or profession: flower hawker, residence at time of marriage: 73 Wardley Street, Wandsworth, father's name and surname William Penfold (deceased), rank of father: flower hawker

Name and Surname: Edith Penfold age: 40, condition: widow, rank or profession: flower hawker, residence at time of marriage: 75 Wardley Street, Wandsworth, father's name and surname Robert Smith(deceased), rank of father: house decorator

at the Register Office in the district of Wandsworth
In the presence of Joseph King and Fanny Forster
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 August 08 11:42 BST (UK) »
It was a surprise reading that certificate, but i think i've figured it out  ...flower hawker born Smith in 1875/76 then Penfold then Penfold again.  Definitely not born 1882-4.  (Edith's daughter knew Edith's age within a year i would say.) 

There is a likely flower hawker aged 17 on the 1901 census, Edith Buxton, in Wandsworth, see copy on page 2 above.  There was not a Buxton marriage to Penfold 1900-1920 when i looked at the FRC.

What do you think about the idea that Edith (having a 2 year old and a 4 year old) might have even become a Mrs Barclay in 1925 - see page 1?

If so she would have gone from: Buxton to Penfold (died in war?) to having her children with Wrenn (who definitely left her sometime 1923-1940 as he went off his other children said to Weston super mare) to Barclay and then to Jennings in 1942.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 August 08 14:54 BST (UK) »

You are not going to believe this but an Edith BUXTON married a Richard JENNINGS in Battersea in June 1943 ref 1d page 507.
You can get the cert for £7 from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
I wonder if she never actually married any of the previous chaps,but just called herself by their surnames,or did she just decide to revert back to her maiden name to marry in wartime?

I think Carol is right, she never married anyone before Richard Jennings.
Certainly this Penfold nee Smith marriage is a red herring! And if it is true she never married before Jennings, then Barclay is a red herring too.
Looks like the Buxton/Jennins cert is the next move, to see if she is a spinster...
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 August 08 17:29 BST (UK) »

I think Carol is right, she never married anyone before Richard Jennings.
Certainly this Penfold nee Smith marriage is a red herring! And if it is true she never married before Jennings, then Barclay is a red herring too.
Looks like the Buxton/Jennins cert is the next move, to see if she is a spinster..

Yes definitely a red herring.......not your Edith at all I'm afraid.
But that's the nature of this game-a few false certs to find the real one eventually.

And yes I agree with Liz,the Buxton/Jennings cert would be the next move.
It will (we hope) say that she was a fairly elderly spinster  ;D

Regards

Carol