Author Topic: Two Marriages? 1923-1955  (Read 7166 times)

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Two Marriages? 1923-1955
« Reply #36 on: Friday 15 August 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
Before I order that cert, wouldn't the marriage just say widow, as there were a lot of Penfolds that died in the war from South London and i'm almost certain she married a Mr Penfold.  Unless I suppose she was illigitimate and later took her father's name Penfold.  Is that likely?
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 18 August 08 09:56 BST (UK) »
Anything is possible - our task is to find out the facts!!

It will say widow if she HAD married previously, and then for some unknown reason reverted to her maiden name, but at present we are thinking she was most probably still single.

Either way the cert will help - no good assuming one or the other till we know.
IF it is spinster - then it is very straitforward, she never married any of the previous ones, just used their name for a bit and had a few children.
IF it does say widow, then we are back to the task of finding previous marriages, which so far has proved fruitless and lead us to believe she had not previously married.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenturner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 30 July 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
Please help, this side of my family has been really well covered up and was kept from me for a long time.

I am looking for the marriage of Edith E (previously unofficially Wrenn up to 1920s, Penfold from 1916 and previously Buxton from birth) who having married a Mr Jennings, died in Dec Quarter 1956:

Edith E Jennings  72  Croydon 5g p88 on 18/12/1956 in Mayday Hospital.

When was her marriage - it was in London I think as Mr Jennings was a Londoner.  They married PROBABLY between 1930-1950.

I don't know his first name, but if you could find the death of a Mr Jennings who died between 1954 and 1960 in Croydon or Wandsworth it might help in your search as this is when he died I think.  I think his name was Albert/Alfred.

I have the death certificate, she died in Mayday hospital and Edith's daughter registered it. 

As Edith had children from a Mr Wrenn (but did not marry him as he stayed married to a different woman), there are four surnames she went by in her life - I wouldn't be surprised to find a fifth! e.g.

Marriages Mar 1925   
Penfold  Edith E  Barclay  Brentford  3a 239

Did an Edith E  Barclay marry a Jennings??  or is there another marriage for an Edith E Penfold anyone can find after 1923.
any answers?
Chris

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 30 July 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Perhaps she never married any of the others?

Edith Buxton married Richard Jennings - Battersea June qtr 1943

Jennifer

Chris if you look back over this post this has all been found before.
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk