Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 74892 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #108 on: Friday 02 September 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
Margaret found a William Carver waggon-maker born Bedfordshire dying in Illinois in 1895 age 70. Further research has shown him to be the son of Young and Mercy born c1824 who married Maria Richards in Doddington, Cambs in 1849. The couple are in Wimblington Cambs in 1851, William is a carpenter. In Sep 1852 William Carver Wheelwright and wife Maria arrived in New York. Maria Carver widow is in Illinois in 1900 living with daughter Annie Taylor and her husband Arthur.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
William and Maria were in Kincardine, Bruce, Ontario by1856 as their oldest daughter Esther D. was born August 10, 1856.  That area was known as Upper Canada at that time.  They then had Frederick in 1858, William James in 1859 and Annie about 1866....all in Kincardine, Bruce, Ontario.  William and Maria were still in the same place in 1891 and by that time their children had left or married.  They left sometime after that to live in Illinois, which is where Esther and Annie and their husbands and family were living.  William died in Illinois in 1895 and Maria died shorthly after in 1904.  They were buried in Graceland Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois.

Marg
Carver....Bedfordshire and Leeds Yorkshire
Schofield....Hunslet and Leeds Yorkshire
Oliver...Hardingstone and Roade Northampton
Dutch and Hornsby....Bethnal Green and Spitalfields, London

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Marg

Thanks for posting the extra info on William and Maria. Did you see my posts above on John Carver's apprenticeship? In addition I have found tax was paid for apprentices who served under him in 1783, 1792 and 1802.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Some excellent detective work going on here!    I can't keep up.   

Incidentally, I was born in New York and a few years thereafter left America having last lived in Chicago.  I can therefore only applaud more North American digressions for the Carvers!

I’m off on a three-week holiday so I’ll jot down some observations for cogitation off the top of my head.

Given that the John ‘Dunton’ Carver received an apprenticeship, this lends weight to him being the start of the wheeler Carvers?

Does your info (Jan) mean we can rule out any other Wrestlingworth Carver receiving such an apprenticeship?

Re: the Hitchin apprenticeships (1744; Samuel 1734-1767).  There is no evidence yet these are connected as this emanated from Southill?

John ‘Dunton’ Carver’s children:
William also Wrestlingworth wheelwright via Arrington.
John; married Martha Mitchel 1812 at Eyeworth; profession unknown? 
George; also Wrestlingworth wheelwright.
Young; also Wrestlingworth wheelwright.
The mysterious Simeon Carver born circa 1794.  No further sightings; perhaps he went overseas, too?

Neil.

PS: Biking my way to Switzerland; if I come across any Carvers on the way I'll claim them too.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
Re your points

If John is  "Dunton John", which I feel is most likely then he is probably the first of the wheeler Carvers

I agree that we are unlikely to find apprenticeship details for the other Wrestlingworth Carvers as they would have most likely learned from their father.

We have not been able to connect Samuel of Hitchin to the Wrestlingworth line.

Of John and Elizabeth's children that you list I believe their son John born c1785 also disappears and it is his father who married Martha Mitchel but have no proof. Martha was 50 when she died in 1819, but that doesn't rule her out as having married the younger John.

Enjoy Switzerland

Jan

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline robsdad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry to recap Jan but can it be confirmed whether it's Elizabeth Merrenton 1764 of Wrestlingworth ( Henry & Ann)
or Elizabeth Merrington 1766 of Dunton ( John & Sarah ) who married John Carver.
The latter would be only abt. 15 at time of marriage.
Appologies if this has been discussed previously.
I noted your two burial dates of 1801 & 1809 for Elizabeth deaths and I assume no ages have been found as yet from that source.
regards
robsdad
STAFFS: Hodgkins, Hughes, Ford, Orton, Sharratt, Burns, Devonport, Lambsdale, Law, Mitton, Meek, Obburton, Dalloway,
SHROP: Bird, Colley, Parton, Cock.
WORCS: Knowles, Adams, Evans, Wanklin, Edwards, Harvett, Potter.
WARKS: Garrington.
NORTHANTS: Betts, Clark
BERKS: Cross, Preston, Orpwood, Banister, Celly/Colly, Wildblood, Bond.
BEDS: Carver, Merrington.
OXFORD: Edwards, Maizey, Hanwell, Laurence

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry to recap Jan but can it be confirmed whether it's Elizabeth Merrenton 1764 of Wrestlingworth ( Henry & Ann)
or Elizabeth Merrington 1866 of Dunton ( John & Sarah ) who married John Carver.
The latter would be only abt. 15 at time of marriage.
Appologies if this has been discussed previously.
I noted your two burial dates of 1801 & 1809 for Elizabeth deaths and I assume no ages have been found as yet from that source.
regards
robsdad

Hi

To my knowledge it hasn't been confirmed who Elizabeth Merrington was, she and John were both living in Cockayne Hatley at the time of marriage which is of no help. The burials don't give an age, but we believe the 1801 Elizabeth could be Elizabeth nee Merrington and the 1809 one Elizabeth nee Bird (William Carver's first wife) but have no proof of this.

Not really very helpful :D

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline robsdad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 08 September 11 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
Thanks for your thoughts.
The only clue if you could call it that is that the last child of the 5 born to Henry & Ann Merrinton / Merrenton was in Cockayne Hatley 1770 ( IGI ) which is where John and Elizabeth were married.
Just a thought that it could have still been the family's and Elizabeth's residence in 1781 .
Trouble is the Merringtons were in Dunton ( John's village ? ).
Have you any thoughts on the ages of the two Elizabeths when married ?
regards
robsdad
STAFFS: Hodgkins, Hughes, Ford, Orton, Sharratt, Burns, Devonport, Lambsdale, Law, Mitton, Meek, Obburton, Dalloway,
SHROP: Bird, Colley, Parton, Cock.
WORCS: Knowles, Adams, Evans, Wanklin, Edwards, Harvett, Potter.
WARKS: Garrington.
NORTHANTS: Betts, Clark
BERKS: Cross, Preston, Orpwood, Banister, Celly/Colly, Wildblood, Bond.
BEDS: Carver, Merrington.
OXFORD: Edwards, Maizey, Hanwell, Laurence

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sunday 30 October 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

I recently got out the DVD of the BBC's 'Kibworth : A History of England' series.

A reason why this village was chosen was because of the records archive kept by one of the Oxford University colleges.  The college was a major landowner in the village...this got me thinking re:Wrestlingworth. 

I checked out my notes from way back (as in I wrote them down years ago).  Around 1320 Wrestlingworth village was split in ownership between the de Kendales and a little later, the de Herefordes.   In 1800, the then owner of Hereford Manor founded Downing College.   

This is the blurb in Wikipedia for Downing College: "Upon the death of Sir George Downing, 3rd Baronet in 1749, the wealth left by his grandfather, Sir George Downing, who served both Cromwell and Charles II and built 10 Downing Street (a door formerly from Number 10 is in use in the college), was applied by his will. Under this will, as he had no direct issue (he was legally separated from his wife), the family fortune was left to his cousin, Sir Jacob Downing, and if he died without heir, to three cousins in succession. If they all died without issue, the estates were to be used to found a college at Cambridge called Downing."

Has anyone considered/have knowledge of whether records may be held at Downing College concerning Wrestlingworth, in the same way as the Oxford college had for Kibworth?

Thoughts anyone?

Neil.

PS: It would be delicious if there were any as it would be slap bang in the middle of the Carver dynasty in Wrestlingworth...ho hum.