Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 74891 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #117 on: Monday 31 October 11 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone whose research interests lie in the Bedfordshire line of the Carver family had a DNA test done? I ask because one of my relatives has done so and is awaiting the results. We hope it will link us to a branch of the family that went to America in 1621. Current status on the Norfolk branch is that the oldest relative (Thomas b 1680) had a decent sized farm and I have found a will for the widow Elizabeth Carver dating 1650s referring to that farm. So there may well be a link that could take us further back.

It is not impossible that the Bedfordshire Carvers emerged from Norfolk (or vice versa) or they both emerged from somewhere else and a DNA test might help prove or disprove that theory.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 10 November 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody, back on the case after a prolonged absence from any research.  I have started once again to try and confirm the link between the Aussie Carvers and Rev John of Wellingborough and will be visiting Bedford Archives early in Dec to look at new leads.

On my last visit, the Archivist suggested that many people came to Beds from Norfolk and Suffolk via the waterways. I have had one suggestion that my Thomas (settled in Southill from Turvey in 1720) came from Ipswich, but have not been able to prove it.

As to DNA testing, if enough of us wished to take a test, I would be willing to participate assuming that the costs weren't too exorbitant.

Chris

London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 11 November 11 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

I think the point regarding DNA testing is that if you know you are related, there is not much point in doing so to prove that, but if a group of known relatives wanted to test for links outside their known community then perhaps sharing the cost might make it more viable.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Friday 02 August 13 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody,
I'm not sure if anybody a) has any interest still in this thread or b) any new info/ speculation to add. Personally, the last 2-3 years have been dominated by family matters and my research has definitely taken a back seat.  However, the last month or so I have been able to do a bit of research and also been through the thread again to see what I have missed/ forgotten.

If anybody is interested, I'll post my definitive thoughts on the Southill Carvers in a few days time.

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Friday 02 August 13 21:19 BST (UK) »
 Please post away Chris, I'm sure it will be of interest. I have nothing new at the moment.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 03 August 13 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi (all),

Yes, very much interested in anything you come up with.

Likewise, my personal circumstances have meant I have barely touched the Carvers for two years(?) or more.

I am planning to get back into it when my current work commitments allow - perhaps October?  And I promise not to mention the cricket or rugby, too...

Kind regards all.

Neil.

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 04 August 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just when I thought to put my head above the parapet (so to speak) and offer a few thoughts, 2 new observations were given to me, one of which I can't check until my return to UK in the middle of the month. (For the first time I have travelled without my laptop thinking I could rely on my IPad App, but I don't have access to the source documents).

The other would potentially solve our problems about where the Bedfordshire Carvers originate from as a lady contacted me claiming connections to Thomas Carver and Mary Bromidge.  She claims the Carvers are from Sussex.  I have asked for more info, so will wait to see what she has to say, unless anyone else has been down this route before.

Meanwhile, 2 other bits of news.  Firstly, I have been tracing the Torquay Carvers (descended from Rev John) and one of them married Rear Admiral Ralph Lindsey Fisher (WW2 hero) and their daughter married the 4th Baron Spens. Secondly, I attended a family marriage a few months ago to a descendent of the Byng family who lived in the big house in Southill in the 17/18th century. I met a keen genealogist from this family who assured me that the family archives are still in tact and has promised to help me access them. I just haven't been able to arrange a suitable time yet.

More in 2-3 weeks hopefully

Chris

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 04 August 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris (and Neil and others)

Sussex is interesting, or at least rings some vague bells, although I can't find anything in my Carver files. At some point I'll have a burrow in the West Sussex RO as there are some early West Sussex Carver marriages and burials showing on FindmyPast.

Look forward to hearing anything more your contacts may have

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 04 August 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thomas Carvel/Carver (c1700-1762) married Mary Bromidge (c 1700-1758) May 1720 in Turvey.  Settled in Southill Sep 1720.
Not sure where he originated, I had been of the opinion that he may have come over the border from Northants or from Norfolk, but perhaps he did come from Cambs?

Or may he have come from Southill? Might he have been the son of William Carver who married Margaret Usher in Southill on 11 Feb 1655? I'm always dubious about looking further afield when there's a family of the same name in the same parish, particularly when it's not a common name, and more so when non-conformists are concerned.

Perhaps Thomas Carver was actually from Southill, rather than settling there, and he merely married in Turvey. A Thomas Carver of Southill was received into the Independent Church in Southill on 3 Dec 1719 so it looks very likely that he was the Thomas who married in Turvey in 1720 and who then had children in Southill. I don't think he "resettled" in Southill in 1720 as you put it on 9 Feb 2010, as it looks as though he was already living in Southill the year before he married. It's a bit early for the Turvey marriage entry to have more than the two names, but you might get lucky and the entry says Thomas from Southill.

I would be concentrating on Southill, rather than Northants, Norfolk, Cambs or Sussex!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock