Author Topic: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh  (Read 25722 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 14 April 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
Just came across this in the civil records:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10945/8000413.pdf

Three John Macauley/McCawley marriages on the one page.

Edit: On closer inspection, it looks like the middle "McCawley" is actually "McConkey"

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 15 April 19 00:24 BST (UK) »
Gilby, my grandfather's passage to the U.S. according to the Ellis Island website was paid by William Dodds, son of John Dodds and Martha Houston.  William Houston Dodds had married to Jenny McCauley in 1881 at the Wellington Street Presbyterian Church.

This is from a newspaper article:

Death at Groveland o f John M'CauIey. Aged 4 5 Years. Groveland, Sept. .14.—John McCauley, who was born at Ballynashee , County Antrim, Ireland, forty-five years ago, and has lived in this town about a year, died Sunday morning of inflammation of the bowels. He leaves a wife and three chlldren. Deceased comes of a long-lived Irish family. His grandmother, Jane Gardner , lived to be 99 , and his grandfather, John McCauley, died recently within  a 'few weeks of his aged wife , at the age of 102.   

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 15 April 19 05:45 BST (UK) »
    KiwiRose,
    I am very grateful for your most excellent lead.  Here is what I have been able to find so far:

1.  David McCauley m. Mary Service [Were living at 13 Crosshill in 1901 census]
    Probate of David's will granted to John Service and James Lamont, farmers.

2.  Thomas McCauley 1859-1934 m. 1883 Margaret Clarke 1864-1945, dau of Francis Clarke and Janet Bonar

Do we have anything confirming the parents’ names in the marriage of Thomas McAuley to Margaret Clarke in 1883 in Australia?

Gilby,

The Queensland historical BDM site has the deaths of Thomas and Margaret (Clarke) McAuley which mentions parents’ names.

1934   B25431   Thomas   McCauley   Parents: David McAuley    Mary Service

1945   C2160   Margaret   McCanley (!)  Parents: Francis Clarke    Janet Bonar

Their 1883 Queensland marriage only names the bride and groom. One would have to order a copy of the certificate for further information.

Regards,
KiwiRose

Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 15 April 19 06:00 BST (UK) »
This one is of interest as well as it is a little contradictory of my previous post, both of which came from Australian newspaper articles:

1946--Warwick Daily News, Australia

Mrs. Jane Hoey wife of T. H. Hoey of Herbert Street, allora and late of Upper Forest Springs, aged 86 and four months.  She was the third daughter of the late David McCauley of Randalston, Co. Antrim.  She married Thomas H. Hoey on June 5, 1879 in the Presbyterian Church, Randalston (Previous post said Glenwherry).  Eldest son David born.  They had nine sons, five daughters, 28 grandchildren and 22 great grandchildren.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 15 April 19 06:37 BST (UK) »

« Reply #37

I am not sure how the following are connected.  These are just some miscellaneous notes that I have collected:
Glenwherry Presbyterian Church-1895 marriage of William John M'Clean, eldest son of John M'Clean of Ballyalbana, to Maggie, eldest dau of Thomas Gardner of Glenwherry.
-----------------------------------------------------
Andrew Gardinier m. Sarah Kirkwood  1795-1889; of Ballyeaston; children:   Andrew, John, James, Hugh, Agnes, Mary and Anne; some? emigrated to Canada.

Pablo,

Information from my notes about Andrew and Sarah Kirkwood:

Andrew and Sarah Kirkwood Gard(i)ner emigrated as an older couple with some, or all, of their unmarried children. The family appear in the Census of Canada from 1861 onwards.  Andrew died 1882 and Sarah in 1889 in Kincardine, Bruce County, Ontario.  (Andrew’s headstone has him as being c 90yrs)They may have had children who chose to remain behind in the Ballyeaston area.

I have not found a McAuley connection in Kincardine.

I have found searching for the McAuley's and other Glenwherry families in Australia and latterly NZ really interesting especially with the free newspaper sites.

Regarding the 1946 Warwick Daily News item maybe the reporter or informant got the Church location wrong. 

Regards,
KiwiRose.

Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline kingy90210

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I managed to find this thread looking up to see if there was anything regarding my husband's family.

I am married to Paul McAuley, whose father is David McAuley. He now owns the farmland at ardymagh road, known locally as the "wee colin" . Paul's father's father was called David McAuley and he was married to Rose Gardener.

Davy inherited the land off his uncle James McAuley. James also had brothers called William, Bryce, Thomas (Tam), a twin that died and don't know his name, and David who is my father in law Davy's father.

I don't know if I can find out information you are looking for but I can try if you give me specific information you are after.

Thanks
Laura McAuley

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 15 April 19 23:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Kingy90210,
Thank you very much for your post.  I am interested in the McAuleys living in the following areas of Ardymaugh, Glenwherry, Crosshill, Ballynure and Larne.  Quite and area to cover.  All of my McAuleys belonged to the Presbyterian Church it seems.  Any information that you have on your husband's family such as his grandparents, great grandparents, great uncles and who they married would be quite useful.  Marriages of McAuleys that I am presently researching have taken place with the following families:  Killen, Adair, Gardner, Service (Serviss), Dodds, Hoey, Buchanan and Robinson.
Again, with many thanks for your post and any help would be much appreciated.  All additional information, no matter how small, is of use.  With best wishes, Paul Robinson

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 06:42 BST (UK) »
I found this news article to be of interest:
1859--Richard Gardner, Thomas Robinson, Sarah Johnston and Eliza M'Auley
brought up on remand, charged with being a riotous and disorderly mob that
attacked Sgt. Bailey and four policemen on the Crumlin Rd.  The two females
fined 40s;  judgement on the men postponed.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 23:42 BST (UK) »
KiwiRose, it may well be that her newspaper article was more correct than his unless they had two ceremonies.  The Emerald Ancestors website had the following:  Thomas Hugh Hoey married 1879 to Jane McAuley at the Ranmdalstown Old Presbyterian Church.  Also, on a net website I came across the following although I do not know how accurate it is as there are certain problems, namely that Jane McAuley is a daughter of David McAuley, not James.

1.  James McAuley born c. 1787 married Mary McLachlan born c. 1797.  They had with other issue,
2.  Joseph McAuley
?2.  Jane McAuley born 1823; She married in 1845 Hugh Hoey, b. 1822, Glenwherry.  They had with other children,
3.  Sarah Hoey
3.  Agnes Barton Hoey
3.  Jane (Jeannie) Barton Hoey c. 1859-1931 married 1884 William John Huston
4.  Samuel David Huston
4.  Thomas Andrew Huston
*  If the Huston information is correct, then that might tie in with my Dodds-Huston marriage.
-----------------------------
1.  David McAuley born abt. 1822 m. Mary Service (Serviss), b. abt. 1830
2.  Jane McAuley m. Thomas Hugh Hoey
2.  Robert McAuley
2.  David McAuley, Jr.
*  The son Robert I am aware of but not the David, Jr.