Author Topic: Mary Ann Riddle Completed  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Riddle Completed
« on: Saturday 18 October 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
My grandad William Riddle was born in Tynemouth England17th Feb 1915,his sister Mary Ann was born 7 Front Street Tynemouth1917 ,their mother was not married to their father,approx 1920 Annie Riddle left her partner and took the children with her,she placed them in a childrens home somewhere in the North East,William was sent to Lancashire to live with the Capstick family,William grew up thinking he was an orphan, he was told his sister was taken to Canada and adopted,I have searched everywhere for her with no luck,please can anyone find her,I know Canada is huge,if she married would she have her Riddle/Riddell name or her adopted name,Ever hoping Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Riddle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 08 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian,

I believe she would use her adopted name when she married.

Do you have any idea of the adoption agency in England?

I checked the Home Children Index, and she wasn't sent to Canada through the Home Children Scheme.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 08 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting in touch,no I cant find which childrens home they were in,I travelled over to Newcastle,but I wasnt allowed to view my grandfathers records or his mothers,he was born in Preston Road hospital,posh word for the unmarried mothers unit of the Tynemouth workhouse,I do believe Mary wasnt taken from her mother legaly as Grandad went in search of her when he was in his thirties,and met someone who knew his mother,he told my grandad that she died of a broken heart,she went to fetch her children when she was well and working to be told they had been adopted,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 08 00:11 BST (UK) »
Looking at the problem another way I searched index of FindMyPast to see if there's any Mary Ann Riddle born c1917 going from England to Canada as a child. Only possibility I could see might fit is M. Riddle 1919 from Liverpool, England to Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada but no age was given.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 08 23:43 BST (UK) »
I checked the image for M. Riddle on findmypast but I think it is a transcription error.  The only Riddle on the image of the passenger list was a Mrs A Riddle, aged 25, heading for the US.  I couldn't see any other possible matches either.

Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 08 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all so very much,Gillian

Offline hoopersct

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:55 BST (UK) »

hello Gillian
I believe I hold the answer to your question regarding Mary Ann Riddle! She was I believe my late mother born on 28th November 1917 at 7 Front Street Tynemouth. She was we understand placed in a Barnardo home but not sure which one.Somehow she made her way to Guildford and then met and married my father in 1941 in Chelsea London.She had three children one stillborn and two girls one of whom is me!!Sadly she died in 1960 when I was very young so that is why I was so excited to see your request.My elder sister and I had no idea she had a brother.We are trying to piece together your information with our limited knowledge. Is your grandfather still alive? I await your reply with anticipation.
Kind regards
alison

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 October 08 23:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Alison. As a new member you can't use the Personal Message system to exchange email addresses, recent family details, etc. with Gillian but after making a few more posts you will be able to do so.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hello no sadly my grandparents are both dead,do you have a birth certificate,was Mary adopted or fostered like my grandad,need to speak to my mum,she has 6 brothers and sisters and they will be shocked at this news that she didnt go to Canada,best wishes Gillian