Author Topic: Janet Dunlop Missing Death Record  (Read 7730 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Dunlop Missing Death Record
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 July 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
I would have thought the Mitchell Library would hold the collection of MIs for Ayrshire  :D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 July 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Going by the longer list of names from that link for children to James and Janet, and from the name Stevens mentioned earlier, is this Janet's entry, submitted on IGI:

JANET DUNLOP  Birth: 20 NOV 1808 Fenwick, Ayr, Scotland
Parents:ANDREW DUNLOP and MARGARET STEVEN

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 July 09 16:11 BST (UK) »
Re MIs, this is an example of what can be found, re James' family:

99. by Andrew DUNLOP, farmer Thorn, bro Thomas D. d 26.7.1855 aged 41 y,
father Adam D. d 25.8.1851 aged 85 y, sis Mary D. d 31.5.1829 aged 17y, sis
Agnes D. d 24.1.1854 aged 34 y, mother Janet Millar d 12.7.1858 aged 80 y;
above Andrew D. d 6.12.1859 aged 43 y.

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/AYRSHIRE/1999-04/0923098833

Monica

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 July 09 17:12 BST (UK) »
Going by the longer list of names from that link for children to James and Janet, and from the name Stevens mentioned earlier, is this Janet's entry, submitted on IGI:

JANET DUNLOP  Birth: 20 NOV 1808 Fenwick, Ayr, Scotland
Parents:ANDREW DUNLOP and MARGARET STEVEN

That is definitely her - I've found the same entry at SP.  I'm more convinced now that the other 3 children I've found are their children due to the names and the timing of the names; 1st child Margaret after Janet's mother, 2nd child Janet after James's mother, 3rd child Adam after James's father, 4th child Andrew after Janet's father, 5th child James after James.  It seems like a classic case of Scottish naming. 

I'm further convinced because I have found James and Janet on the 1841 census in Fenwick with children Andrew (aged 10), James (aged eight) and Mary (aged 2) - there is only one James Dunlop born in Fenwick around that time and that was 1835 to Margaret and Matthew so the Tarbolton born James looks like he must be James and Janet's son.  Of the children missing I assume the Tarbolton born Mary died young for them to have named another child Mary, Margaret is old enough to be married or working elsewhere, Adam is with his grandmother and Janet must either have died young or be out working somewhere by the age of 13 (I suspect she died though as I can't find her on the census at all.)

It looks like MIs might be my only hope in dating Janet's death.  I've found a couple of certificates on which a mother or father of the bride/groom is not listed as deceased when they were; Is this quite common?  I hadn't thought about the Mitchell so that might be worth checking.  Thanks again for the enormous help.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 July 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

I think at least some of the children of James and Janet may have been at paternal grandparents for 1841, like Adam b. 1829. That 1841 entry:

Adam Dunlop 78, farmer
William Dunlop 85
Janet Dunlop 63
Elisabeth Dunlop 30
Thomas Dunlop 26 cattle dealer
Andrew Dunlop 24
Agnes Dunlop 22
Jean Dunlop 18
Adam Dunlop 12 ag. lab.
Adam Dunlop 25 ag. lab.
Alexander Watson 24, ag. lab

Address Thorn, Fenwick

Monica

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 13 July 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes that's him - I found that one earlier.  He's still there in 1851 and his brother Andrew had joined him by that time too.  Grandfather Adam died between 1841 and 1851 by the looks of things - I have found a birth entry for him in 1766 in Stewarton and I think he had 9 other siblings so perhaps the 85 year old William was one of those.  I know his parents were William Dunlop and Margaret Robertson but I can't find any births, marriage or deaths for them.  Thanks again.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 July 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
From that MI I posted earlier, you have father Adam:

father Adam D. d 25.8.1851 aged 85

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 13 July 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
If you do a 'parent search' on IGI at www.familysearch.org, you will get birth/christening details for the children of William D and Margaret Robertson. They all look to be submitted entries rather than extract from the OPRs and as such on SP. However, the dates are quite specific so wonder what the source for these may be.

To do a parent search on IGI, if you haven't done one before, go to the International Genealogical Index on Familysearch. Simply put in full parents' names on the r/h side of the screen, then British Isles and Scotland and then search. All the entries showing are for the family.

Monica  :)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 July 09 19:22 BST (UK) »
From that MI I posted earlier, you have father Adam:

father Adam D. d 25.8.1851 aged 85

Monica

That death date makes sense. 

I've searched the IGI and found a number of possibilities - Margaret in 1753 seems to be the earliest birth so that woud put the marriage in the early 1750s.

I think the submitters must have got the information from OPRs as just from searching for one or two of the records these births do seem to be on SP.  Thanks.

Regards

Michelle