Author Topic: Janet Dunlop Missing Death Record  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Janet Dunlop Missing Death Record
« on: Monday 13 July 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching Scotland's People over and over for a death entry for Janet Dunlop (also nee Dunlop) who was born in 1808 in Ayrshire and died between 1856 and 1861.  She was a witness at her son's wedding in 1856 and is stated as deceased on her husband's death entry in 1861 but I simply can't find any record of her death despite trying many variants - I would think it unlikely since statutory registration had come in that she wasn't registered at all so I'm a bit stumped.  Is it possible she could be indexed wrongly? Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Dunlop Missing Death Record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching Scotland's People over and over for a death entry for Janet Dunlop (also nee Dunlop) who was born in 1808 in Ayrshire and died between 1856 and 1861.  She was a witness at her son's wedding in 1856 and is stated as deceased on her husband's death entry in 1861 but I simply can't find any record of her death despite trying many variants - I would think it unlikely since statutory registration had come in that she wasn't registered at all so I'm a bit stumped.  Is it possible she could be indexed wrongly? Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards

Michelle

Where was she living in 1851 and what was her husband's name?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

Around this period, sometimes deaths show an unrecorded death age on the index (although the age shows on the actual image). Have you tried searching for her death without entering a death age/birth year and ticking the 'include unrecorded ages in the age range'. Sometimes this picks up new entries.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
Here are possibles from ScotlandsPeople from 1855 - 1861, for all districts

1859 Dunlop Janet Coylton AYR      
1859 Dunlop Janet YOUNG Riccarton AYR      
1859 Dunlop Janet Anderson Stewarton AYR
1860 Dunlop Janet Fenwick AYR

Anderson is a christian name, whist Young is an other surname.
Jamjar      
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
Where was she living in 1851 and what was her husband's name?

Hi Cookie4,

Thanks for your reply; her husband's name was James Dunlop (b.1805) - they were both born in Fenwick and lived there.  It seems they got married when Janet was only 15 in 1824 and they had seven children as far as I can tell - Margaret (b.1825), Adam (b.1829), Andrew (b.1831), Mary (b.1839), Elizabeth (b.1842), Anne (b.1844) and William (b.1846).  Janet is on the 1851 census as Fanet Dunlop (aged 42) with husband James (aged 46), daughter Elisabeth (aged eight), daughter Ann (aged 6) and son William (aged 4).  They are living at White Hall Kings Arms Inn in Upper Fenwick and James is listed as a farm labourer.  James died in Stewarton in 1861.  Thanks for any help.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
Jamjar's 1860 entry looks a good possibility in Fenwick...have you looked at that entry?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Nope, the Fenwick one isn't her. It is a 4mth old girl with father, Matthew. :'(

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
Was Janet's mother's surname Stevenson?

Jamjar

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica and Jamjar,

Yes I was just about to post that I've seen the 1860 one and it was a baby.  The Stewarton one was also a child and the one with Young as another surname shouldn't be her as Dunlop was both her maiden and married name.  I'm not sure about the Coylton one but as far as I can tell she never really moved from Fenwick or Stewarton.  Thanks again for all the help with this puzzle.

Regards

Michelle