Author Topic: Can't find people on Marriage Certificate  (Read 6339 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find people on Marriage Certificate
« Reply #45 on: Friday 17 July 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
I suppose you have browsed the Green Howards website
http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/index.php?submenuheader=100

and you may have seen this
'March 1858 - 2nd battalion 19th regiment reformed in Exeter'

Could this have been when John joined up & how he came to be in that regiment?

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 18 July 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
I had a look through the Green Howards website, but I didn't see that wonderfully perfect phrase. Actually, after going back and looking, I still can't see the right bit. Which page is it on? I assusme the history page but I cannot for the life of me see it.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 18 July 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
It's in Regimental History - Battalions. Fits in well doesn't it? Also with Joseph Reed who may have joined at the same time. Hopefully I'll get time to look for John Harding, William Morris & Joseph Reed in the 2/19th on the WO 12 series for 1870. Wonder if William Morris came from the west country?

This page address might work
http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/battalions.php
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 18 July 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
According to the censuses after 1881, William Morris was born in either Aden or the West Indies. Don't know how I'd go about finding more about him.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 18 July 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Those birthplaces sound like army postings. The usual circuit was Gibraltar - Malta - Halifax Nova Scotia - Bermuda. My great grandfather did this with the 87th & met my great grandmother in Halifax [she was from the local farming community]. They married in Halifax Garrison in 1876 & their first child was born in Bermuda in 1877 after they had left Halifax.

I looked on the military births on findmypast & found 2 William Morris births in 1846 in Aden; both to fathers in the 74th regiment. GRO Regimental Birth Indices 1761 - 1924 [1] 1846 1304/124 [2] 1846 1304/101 - tried to attach an image but there seems to be a problem. I can perhaps PM you with it.

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 18 July 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
That would be amazing, I'm impressed at how swiftly you managed to find them.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 18 July 09 18:17 BST (UK) »
I've sent the image to your email address. You can send off for the certificates - they cost £7 each from the GRO but it would be better to try to somehow find out at least one of his parents' names first. If you know that detail, the GRO will do a 'reference check' for an additional £3 & only send you the one you want [ie £10 instead of £14]. You need to go into 'Overseas events' on the 'order certificates' page of the GRO.

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 18 July 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
That is fantastic josey, I can't believe that I could obtain more information about William Morris, even though he isn't a genetic relative I do carry his name, and so finding out more about him is very interesting. I'm just wondering now how I can find out what his fathers name is, as far as I can tell, there are no clues on the census.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 18 July 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
The 1872 marriage certificate should give both fathers' names. I don' t know how you will get that as it was in India- perhaps fibis may have the procedure......