Author Topic: Help with the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s  (Read 17740 times)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s
« on: Thursday 01 October 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone can help me with the 'tours of duty" of the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s. My Great-grandfather, William Clunas, served with them during this period and I am looking to tie him into the documented history of the RGA.  All help would be gratefully recieved.

I have his service record so this is what we know:-

William Clunas was from Elgin in Scotland and was a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery. He enlisted at Leith Port in 1887.
He married Ellen Louisa Jones in Dover in 1888. His residence is given as Dover Castle.
(Ellen's father, George Jones, is marked on the marriage certificate as deceased. He was a Driver in the Royal Horse Artillery.)

For the next 10 years Ellen,William and children were in Gibraltar, then India (Bombay) then Gibraltar again. The children were born during the "tour'. They can be found in the 1901 census at the Sheerness Garrison on the Isle of Sheppy (where my grandmother was born). They then moved to Landguard Fort, Felixstowe. He was discharged in 1905. (he re-enlisted at the age of 51 to go to France in 1919-20)

He is listed as being in the 24 Company Eastern Div. RA (while in India), 21 Company Eastern Div. RA and 12 Company RA (Gibrlatar and Landguard). So he moved around!

Hope you can help.
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
I cannot see what other information you expect to find. Your last sentence lists his service. He was obviously transferred from company to company, rather than serving in one company that then went on a 'tour of duty'. An exception might be 12 Company, if he was in that at Landguard Fort, as the 1893 Army List has 7 Company as being there.

Ken

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
I am hoping that I can cross-reference this specific information about William to what the RGA  was doing during that period ie why was he posted there, were the RGA involved in any incidents in India (say) during his time there.  I'm hoping to see the bigger picture if that is possible.  Maybe also link up with others who had ancestors in the RGA at this time.
cheers
Bob
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 09 17:10 BST (UK) »
Apart from major wars, ie WW1 and the Boer War, the RGA manned fixed guns in forts. Unless his record says he was transferred to the RHA, RFA or a mountain company he probably never left the fort.

His record should say if he earned any medals.

Ken

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 09 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken

Offline winstoncunningham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 09 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I've had some help this week from Rootschatters (including Ken)concerning a relative who was also in the Royal Artillery in the 1890's and served in Gibraltar.

The photo attached is of Robert Peter Abbott of Ipswich and can be dated roughly at 1890 - he was a gunner. The photo was taken in Gib.

Gunner Abbott's career seems to have paralleled (is that a word??  ;D) that of your great grandfather - 12 years in service from 1884 to 1896 - certainly with a spell in Gib, and perhaps India. On commencement of the second Boer War, Robert signed up for a further year in the Royal Garrison Artillery reserve, and was also based at Sheerness. His wife and daughter were there per 1901 census, although Robert himself seems to have ''done a runner'' for some reason, up to his sister's in Derbyshire (his military record marks him as ''deserted'' six weeks before the end of his one year stint!). 

Maybe they were pals??? ;)

Hope this helps.
WC

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline winstoncunningham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 October 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
Granted Neil  :)

Here's the original without the pretty touch-ups. From previous chats, we think this is the dress uniform.

Regards
WC

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 October 09 21:41 BST (UK) »
Dear WC,
They could indeed have been pals.  The photo is great.  I can imagine my G-grandfather in that uniform.  Do you have his service record? I downloaded William's from Ancestry. Lots of details - 11pages.  This is the sort of info I was hoping for.
cheers
Bob