Author Topic: mclarens perthshire  (Read 73620 times)

Offline Otis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens perthshire
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 05 February 11 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

Am looking for any help on ancestors of:

Colin McLaren-1 was born about 1787 in Lochearnhead, Loch Earn, Perthshire, Scotland. He died in 1860 in Beckwith Twp., Lanark County, Ontario, Canada.

Mary Christian 'Christine' Henderson was born about 1784 in Perthshire, Scotland. She died on Unknown in Beckwith Twp., Lanark County, Ontario, Canada.

Colin McLaren and Mary Christian 'Christine' Henderson were married on 02 Aug 1806 in Lochearnhead, St. Fillans, Comrie Parish, Loch Earn, Perthshire, Scotland. They had the following children:

i.   Donald McLaren was born on 18 Aug 1807 in Balquhidder, Lochearnhead, Perthshire, Scotland.

3.   ii. George McLaren was born on 20 May 1809 in Balquhidder, Lochearnhead, Perthshire, Scotland. He married Christena McLaren about 1854 in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada. He died on 21 Jan 1887 in The Derry, Beckwith Twp., Lanark County, Ontario, Canada.

4.   iii. Peter McLaren was born about 1812 in Perthshire, Scotland. He married Mary Ann McDonald about 1841 in Lanark Twp., Lanark County, Ontario, Canada. He died on 15 May 1858 in Lanark Twp., Lanark County, Ontario, Canada.

5.   iv. Margaret McLaren was born on 15 Oct 1815 in Balquhidder, Lochearnhead, Perthshire, Scotland. She married Alexander 'Soldier Sandy' Stewart about 1831 in Perthshire, Scotland. She died on 28 Mar 1895 in The Derry, Beckwith Twp., Lanark County, Ontario, Canada.

v.   Elizabeth McLaren was born about 1816 in Ontario, Canada.

5.   vi. Duncan McLaren was born about 1818 in Ontario, Canada. He died in Jun 1897 in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada. He married Margaret McNee on Unknown.

vii.   John McLaren was born about 1819 in Ontario, Canada. He died on Unknown.

viii.   Colin McLaren was born in Mar 1822 in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada. He died on 17 May 1905 in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada.

6.   ix. Mary McLaren was born about 1830 in Ontario, Canada. She died on 27 Oct 1897. She married Daniel McLaren on Unknown.

Thanks

Mark

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark
 Re your Colin McLaren , could this birth record be him? his parents names , would continue in to his own children's names , as was the naming protocol.
It is dated the 14th November 1784 , and Colin's parents are Colin and Margaret McLaren from Auchra.
 If this is the case you will probably be related somehow as i have links to Auchra , my g/g/g/g grandfather Archibald born in 1761 at Carnlia , stayed at Easter Auchra from 1797 in to the 1840's (i have him on the census of 1841) was the local tailor.  Carnlia just being above Auchra , Dalveich , Ardveich etc. at Loch Earn.
With reference to Derry , their is also Derry Farm , not far from Auchra on the north shore of Loch Earn.
yours Gordon

Offline Otis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 06 February 11 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon;

Thankyou very much for the reply.

The baptism cert. may very well be of my Colin McLaren. The date certainly lines up. I'm not a 100% sure.

The name Colin doesn't show up until well down the children lines. Although Margaret is the first daughter. Perhaps there was another son born named Colin that I haven't found yet.    As always more research is to be done.

I do know that Colin arrived in Canada in 1818 and was a shoemaker by trade.

Thanks again

Mark

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 06 February 11 18:43 GMT (UK) »
hi Mark
     I have a link for you to look at which you may have seen allready. a website by david mclaren with mclarens to Lanark , Ontario in 1820.
http://david.mclaren.name/

Now , i share 66/67 dna with David , even although his family went to Canada in 1820. If you want to send me your e mail address by personal message i will get in touch , click on my username "gordon44".  look at the picture of Peter McLaren 1839 on David's website , i can e mail a pic of my g/g grandfather , scarily similar!          gordon

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 02 May 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Cloichran , Loch Tay , as it is now. ruins , but one building used for sheep shelter , lambing etc

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 14 July 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Smcb

re you part in a previous posting .

Now I am really stuck because previously I didnt think she fitted in..but now I definately think she does....cloichran, etc is just sooo close and she may have been one of the mclarens that married Clarks living at Cloichran!  I am sure I definately have read about Clarks at this farm but cannot remember where.

here is something to support the theory from the National Archives of Scotland.
 this is a widow Clark/Campbell at Cloichran/Clochran. their may well have been other Clarks at this farm.

Reference Title Date
GD112 Papers of the Campbell Family, Earls of Breadalbane (Breadalbane Muniments) 1306-20th century
GD112/11 Petitions from Tenants and Others 1716-1862

Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Archives of Scotland
Reference GD112/11/6/2/14
Title Representation and petition of Christian Clark, widow of Robert Campbell, late of Clochran, to be continued in fourth part of said farm
Dates 6 Nov 1797

hope this off some use.  Gordon

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 07:24 BST (UK) »
Robert McLaren b 1828, illegitimate to Archibald McLaren, Holeton (?) and Ann Comrie
Baptised July 19, 1828 Fowlis Wester

Looking for further details on the above Robert McLaren and his parents.  In particular, details of his mother.  I found the above in the OPR. 

Thank you in advance.

Liz
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
hi Liz , think this could be your family of Comries  :)

:  Birth/Christening, 1790 - 1810, Perth, Scotland, British Isles
Father: William Comrie, Mother: Helen Ritchie
Exact Spelling: Off
 [refine search] [Print]
Prepare selected records for download

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 6 Find more British records by searching on the
updated FamilySearch site. Click here...

Select records to download - (50 maximum)
 1. JOHN COMRIE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 20 FEB 1801 Fowlis Wester, Perth, Scotland

2. MARGARET COMRIE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 02 OCT 1796 Fowlis Wester, Perth, Scotland

3. WILLIAM COMRIE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 06 OCT 1805 Fowlis Wester, Perth, Scotland

4. ANN COMRIE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 28 FEB 1799 Fowlis Wester, Perth, Scotland

5. JANET COMRIE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 15 FEB 1795 Fowlis Wester, Perth, Scotland

6. ANDREW COMRIE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 28 DEC 1803 Fowlis Wester, Perth, Scotland

yours gordon

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your help.  It is much appreciated.

The family you detailed for me are in my Family Tree.  I have not been able to find what happened to Ann after she gave birth to my illegitimate ancestor in 1821 and I wonder if she is also the Ann who gave birth to Robert McLaren.  The trouble is there is more that one possible Ann Comrie from Fowlis Wester and surrounding district. 

I am hoping I can make a breakthrough from researching Robert McLaren but he too is in hiding!

Fingers crossed.

Liz
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.