Author Topic: Elizabeth Hogg LookUp  (Read 18057 times)

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hogg LookUp
« Reply #27 on: Friday 12 February 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Georgiana Gardner had a sister Elizabeth born 1835, father Samuel's occupation Gent from Edge.  Found Elizabeth Gardner's burial 27th November 1835 Painswick  :'(

Susan

Added:  Found another infant burial, Emma Gardner 30th May 1839 of Edge Farm
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 February 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to sound silly but was the burial usually the death date as it oftens seems in that era in Australia!

Cheran :-[

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 February 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
The burial was usually a few days later than the death - maybe more in the winter. I haven't actually come across any UK burials that were the same day. It seems to be a very sensible hot country practice......
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran

I know the age looks a bit iffy, but this census record might just might be Samuel if his Mum came to be with him when Elizabeth died. The ages match the memorial index mentioned (if you round down a bit), as does one of the names.  (I think it should be ok copyright-wise to post the link if not the contents http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/GLS/Painswick/MIs.html)

1841 Ref HO107/349/7 Folio 5 Page 4 Edge Farm House
Samuel Gardner - 30 - Yeoman - Born in county
/
Celia Gardner - 60 - Ind - Born in county
/
John Bennett - 35 - Servant - Born in county
Henry Evans - 20 - Servant - Born in county
Sarah Cooke - 19 - Servant - Born in County
Edwin Bricknale - 15- Ajutant (?) - Born in county.

This would match up (although age still iffy) with the familysearch reference for Samuel Gardner son of Thos and Celia Gardner born 26 Jan 1805 baptised 11 Apr 1805 at Painswick. This is an extracted record which I can check, hopefully, tomorrow.

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Cheran

There is a will for the Thomas Gardner mentioned on the gravestone - the one who died in 1827.(I think he is Samuel's father and given his age it might be a second marriage so the will could be interesting) It's in the Gloucester Record Office's database - http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx -

The reference is  1827/250 and I'm not sure of the best way of getting hold of a copy but I am sure Susan will  :)

Checking the death duty register, he is in that so left a reasonable amount of money and the executor is Celia.

Angela

Added

There's also a will for Edward Hogg of Pitchcombe, who might be Elizabeth's father, reference 1838/235.  If you can get hold of these wills, they should go a long way towards confirming relationships  ;D

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 February 10 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Next time I'm in RO (beginning of March?) will have a look at the wills mentioned by Angela  :D  Off-hand can't remember if they are on film or fiche!

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 February 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Again, Thankyou so much for all your help..................

I just would not have got that farm without you.

Re reading the inscription

It looks like 3 families

Thomas Gardner died 1772 72 years so born about 1700 wife Sarah died 1795 85years so born about 1710

Thomas Gardner died 1827 80 years so born about 1747 perhaps wife Celila died 1842 64 years so born about 1778  so if that is correct they would have been 24 years diference in age...... then perhaps the Ann died 1808 aged 52  born about 1756 could be have been Thomas 1st wife?

Then Samuel & Elizabeth

It will be really interesting to see what you are able to find!!  I can't wait.

Cheran

;)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 February 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran

Back from the library - ran out of time but am emailing you the details I have got. The evidence is looking good for 'your' Samuel being the son of Thomas and Celia, with brothers Thomas and Henry and young sister Mary Ann.

I was frustrated to find that the library didn't have records for Pitchcombe, so the Hogg family records will largely require a trip to the Record Office  to confirm :(

If Susan has time to look for the wills we mentioned on her next trip, that should be extremely useful  ;D

Regards

Angela

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 February 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Angela

Again thanks for taking the time!

Cheran :)