Author Topic: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana  (Read 38147 times)

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana
« Reply #72 on: Monday 01 March 10 07:01 GMT (UK) »
No I can't be transcribing the whole affidavit - usual wording just that she says widow

The first bit saying signed before me etc etc . . . Catherine McNally of Green Ponds in the said colony, Widow, and voluntarily made oath that she is . . . above 21 years of age . . . etc etc etc to the said Catherine McNally and Frederick Stiegltiz of Green Ponds Bachelor with whom she is now desirous of proceeding to the solemnization  . . .etc etc signed!
Catharine McNally.   18th Jan 1830.

My opinion is that she wouldn't have bothered to marry Thomas at that late stage!!    That is just moi opinion!!  (Sorry JM!!)       I'm her G3 so it is my family feeling!!!!   ;D      Just joking doncha know!!

Wiggy

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 01 March 10 07:06 GMT (UK) »
So, one day she was Catherine signing the affidavit, and the next day, she was Christiana marrying Freddy...  ;)

Gently remembering that newspaper report ....  Mrs Catherine McNally for that marriage to Freddy ...   ;)

;D 

Not sure if I can help further Wiggy ...

Cheers JM

Hi JM,
Before I went to Tassie last time, in November, you asked me about this so I asked the TAO for info, both before we went and while we were there
 - as both parties were of age, no special licence was required for them to marry.
The certificate (No 45 in the New Norfolk parish register) shows their names and the place where they were married, Green Ponds  - it does not show Catharine as either widow or spinster or anything else - just names, place, date and officiating clergy (Robinson). She signed as Christina - by which name she was known.  The witnesses were W King and John McMullen - (I think - hard to read, ......................
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 01 March 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Wiggy ,

can't see any in NSW  at that time nor any in Tas.

Of course if he was in the army it could have been anwhere in the world that the british had sent their armies!!!! (Most likely I would think).

That could be like looking for a needle in a haystack

best wishes

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 01 March 10 08:01 GMT (UK) »
JM,
Yes that's what I thought - very odd - re names I mean!  As said before she seems to be called Christina most of the time- Catharine for legalities (except her marriage certificate!!)    ;)
  The thing is, it doesn't say special license - just an affidavit saying that she is free to marry by license   It was only the papers saying anything about special- not the church records - I don't know if there is any difference.  Ignorant that's me!

JM you've been a trouper and I quite understand if you've come to the end of the road on this one!  I see you on the boards helping others all the time, and am very grateful for all the time you've spent finding information for me!     'Mille danke!'

Robyn
- or even out at sea on a sealing trip!!  -  another flight of fancy!!   As opposed to the fancy of considering herslef married to Thomas for all intents and purposes!  Like saying widow!    :-\

Cheers and many thanks,

Wiggy        :)
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 01 March 10 08:21 GMT (UK) »
 ;)  Err, Wiggy,

JM,
Yes that's what I thought - very odd - re names I mean!  As said before she seems to be called Christina most of the time- Catharine for legalities (except her marriage certificate!!)    ;)
  The thing is, it doesn't say special license - just an affidavit saying that she is free to marry by license   It was only the papers saying anything about special- not the church records - I don't know if there is any difference.  Ignorant that's me!

JM you've been a trouper and I quite understand if you've come to the end of the road on this one!  I see you on the boards helping others all the time, and am very grateful for all the time you've spent finding information for me!     'Mille danke!'

Robyn
- or even out at sea on a sealing trip!!  -  another flight of fancy!!   As opposed to the fancy of considering herslef married to Thomas for all intents and purposes!  Like saying widow!    :-\

Cheers and many thanks,

Wiggy        :)
If crew had been lost at sea, it would have been recorded in that vessel's log book and reported to the next port and to the home port.

Free to marry by licence ... and married the next day ... twas not a marriage by banns, but by marriage licence, ie special licence ... granted by the Gov, or his administration,  permitting her to marry a second time ... as she was a widow...  the marriage certificate would say if married by banns or otherwise, ie SL or licence or Special Licence... (the last three are same thing as each other)...  (edit to add, as opposed to a Publican's licence, also issued by Gov, or to a convict seeking to marry thus asking for the Gov's permission and IF granted it would be by licence)

I agree with Robyn, its a needle in a haystack.   

You may consider purchasing transcripts of the death certs for a Michael Mc Nally (make sure there's a space betwixt Mc and Nally) on the NSW BDM online index ... 1827, aged 35 from memory...   Also there were very heavy penalties for making false declarations on affidavits ... penal clauses in a penal colony .. perhaps banishment to a place of secondary transportation ....  She didn't marry Thomas because she thought she was still married to a Mr McNally.  She learnt he had died, but only learnt that after Thomas had died.  She was a widow by her lawful marriage to Mr Mcnally ...

Wiggy, I know you may not agree, BUT you need to purchase transcripts/copies of the indexed records, not just rely on indexed info, or on family trandition.  At least that way you can confirm family tradition...
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 01 March 10 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I believe you JM - it's just that I have a very similar declaration signed by my grandmother in Launceston on the day before her marriage stating that she is free to marry not otherwise married and over the age of 21  impediments - and signed on the day before -  - that's why I thought it maybe the same thing by another name. 

Been looking for a death - will try to follow up leads.    Thanks folks!     :D

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 01 March 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wiggy,

But VDL in 1830 was a penal colony... and there in lies the difference between your Gran's marriage in Tasmania and your GGG Gran's marriage in Van Diemen's Land.  Differences in time, in administration, and in colonial rule  ....  From my point of view, it is important to know of and have an understanding of  the rules and practices of the "regime" in control at the time any event was recorded, so that with that knowledge it leads to knowing how to find the records of the forebear that lived under that "regime" and then construct an image of their lives.  From my point of view, the specific day, month and year for their birth, marriage and death is important only in providing their limits.  Its the time between those dates (the little line that the software programs show on tree charts as "-" ) that interests me.  For example:
The Macquarie era was significant in Thomas Ransom's life at NI, and in his re-settlement in VDL ....
Bigge's report addressed in a significant way various issues in VDL under Macquarie's regime...
But Gov Arthur's era was significant in Thomas and Catharine's decade immediately before Thomas' death in 1829.... 
Yet both Macquarie's and Arthur's eras were penal administrations.   
Your Gran's marriage may well have been decades and decades after Tasmania's governence moved on from penal times, into responsible self government, with elected rather than appointed decision makers. 

I did not doubt that you believed me, Wiggy, and I am sure you must be rather tired of reading my postings about the importance of  the primary records  and not just the index number for those...  Each of us has our own ways of researching, and helping others with their research, so I do hope you follow up on the leads from everyone who has contributed to the three threads about Catharine Christiana McNally.

Cheers, 

Sincerely JM

Offline lstieglitz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 12 March 10 01:26 GMT (UK) »
May i send some greetings to all ?
It is all high interesting and gives many information about these times in Tas. And it would be very amazing to take part. Sadly i am too far away, and my uncle the historian Karl Rawdon vS is since years dead. So: get lucky with the needle in the haystock ... sometimes has the haystock the notice.
Best wishes LvS
Stieglitz and all relatives

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 12 March 10 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you Leo!  We've got a bit stuck - but still looking!  One day that haystack will reveal all!

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)