Author Topic: Pleasance High, Gaywood, babtism request Completed  (Read 11696 times)

Offline MJR

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasance High, Gaywood, babtism request
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 16:37 BST (UK) »
Wyanga. I have not been able to find a baptism record for Pleasance from the parish register for St. Faiths Gaywood, I will double check another day. I have found many other records as listed below.
Baptisms: - 7/8/1836        Alice dau. of Robert and Pleasance Copeman.
                   3/12/1837      Eliza ------------"------------------------
                   9/2/1840        Robert son of  ---------------"---------
                   20/7/1825      Marriane Johnson Hye  day of Anne (spinster)
                   9/7/1826        Elizabeth Hye dau of John and Anne.
                   21/9/1828      Harriet Hye   dau of John and Anne.   occ shoemaker.
                   8/8/1830        Robert Hye son of John and Anne. occ. shoemaker
                   12/7/1835      Juliet  Henrietta Mussell High dau of Henry and Susannah.
 Marriages: - 25/2/1813    Robert Copeman & Mary Ann Dye. She signed, he made his mark.
                     25/8/1814    John Hye & Ann Hewing. Both made their mark.
                     4/6/1835      Henry High (Widower) & Susannah Bone (Spinster)
                     19/10/1835  Robert Copeman & Pleasance High. With consent of their friends. Both made their mark.
                                          Witnesses William Dye and John Raines.
                    11/2/1843     Robert Holmes & Pleasance Copeman He signed, she made her mark.
                                         Witnesses Tor F Hye and Mary Ann Johnson.
Burials: -    22/8/1827      Anne High    age 8
                  24/3/1829      Mary High    age 31
                  20/11/1829    Robert Copeman     age 40
                  28/1/1834      Ann High      age 41
                  5/9/1834        Elizabeth High     age 64 of Mintlyn
                  1/10/1835      Juliet Hannah Butter Mussell High infant
                  12/1/1841      Robert Copeman    age 29

I realize that some of above might not be connected to your research, but there might be a lead there. "Highs of Mintlyn", might be Pleasance family and where she was born. Mintlyn is a very old church/parish now connected to St Faiths, some of their silverware was once at St. Faiths. I will look again for Pleasance, if there are any other date you wish to be confirmed please let me know. MIK.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
MJR
         Fantastic Mik !!
  I have printed out all that information and will work my way through it to see how much I can identify in my records.
         I will come back with any requests for more info if I need it.
    Thank you for your effort and time
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
MJR
        You have done a tremendous job on the High family for me.
  My notes indicate that both Henry High and Susannah Bone were 'of Mintlyn'
 So the Elizabeth High aged 64 that died 5/9/1834 is very likely his mother. She could also be the mother of John High (Hye) that married Ann Hewing as I have a birth date of 1796 from the 1841 census  for him. The Anne High that died age 8, 22/8/1827 is very likely their daughter.
     The baptisms that I dont have are:
         Pleasance High (Hye)   b. about 1816  father John Hye
         Anne High  died aged 8   b abt  1819     ??
         John Hye                       b abt  1824  ( 1941 census ) father John Hye

There is room there for another child between Anne and John
    Possibly they may have been baptised in the former Parish of Mintlyn ? although Pleasance gives Gaywood as her birthplace.
Information that may or may not be connected
       A Henry High and his son Henry High were convicted of shop stealing in the Norwich Court 2nd qtr 1823 and sentenced to death, remitted to life and transported to Australia.
  Pleasance Holmes also was charged with larceny but was acquitted in about 1845
 Wyanga

England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
MJR
       More derived from your information.
   Ann High married John Johnson 21/11/1825 or 8/1/1826 (familysearch submitted )
  This would indicate that  Mary Ann Johnson, that was a witness to Robert Holmes marriage is in fact Marriane Johnson Hye b 20/7/1825 mother Anne (spinster) and is likely to be a cousin of Pleasance.
     This may give a theoretical family of :
                     John Hye
                     Ann Hye
                and Henry Hye              with a mother Elizabeth------
         and they may have come from Mintlyn
Wyanga                               

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 02:08 BST (UK) »
Correction to that theory   :(
  Henry Hye aged 70  is with Susanah Hye aged 25 at Mint Lynn in the 1841 census together with Elizabeth Bones aged 65

The Elizabeth High that died 5/9/ 1834  must have been his wife.
 After the death of his wife he must have got Susannah Bones pregnant, marrying her on
4/6/1835 just before the birth of their child Juliet Henrietta Mussell High 12/7/1835.
      Juliet subsequently died 1/10/1835.

Henry b abt 1771  would therefore be of an age to be the father of John Hye b abt 1796
 and Elizabeth b abt 1770 could be his mother    ???
  In 1851 census John Hye b 1796, gives St Germans, Norfolk as birthplace.

Offline MJR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 22:40 BST (UK) »
Wyanga. Here is another list to get you thinking, all Baptismal dates: -
Children of Robert & Mary Copeman: -5/9/1813 - Robert; 25/12/1814 Mary; 19/10/1816 Samuel; 21/12/1817 Elizabeth; 16/10/1819 James; 19/5/1822 Sarah; 25/1/1824 William; 26/7/1828 George; 2/5/1830 Anne dau. of the late Robert and Mary Copeman. (I would have expected her not him to have died after all those children).
Children of Robert & Jemima Holmes: - 1/9/1808 James; 25/7/1813 Jemima; 9/8/1818 Robert; 30/3/1821 Sarah.
Children of John & Hannah Hewing: - 18/3/1798 Esther; 10/6/1809 Hannah; 7/8/1814 Harriet;
Children of John & Hannah Herving: - 17/81800 Robert; 8/2/1803 Mark; 16/3/1806 Henry. ( I think these are "Hewing" children, either bad writing/my translation or different ministers spelling).
Children of John  & Ann Hye: - 20/8/1821 Maryann; (I think this right, bad writing).
Children of Henry & Elizabeth High: -20/11/1796 John; 11/2/1798 Samuel; 15/2/1801 Valentine? &  Edward; 10/10/1802 Elizabeth; 15/12/1805 Elizabeth; 16/8/1807 Ann.
I have had a look round St. Faiths gravestones, the church yard is full and is looked after by the council now, I suspect many gravestones have been removed/fallen down over the years. I found the following, which may or may not be of interest: - Sarah Copeman, age 81; died 30/5 1941 & George age 73; died 9/12/1932. Harriet Elizabeth Jane Hye, age 38; died 26/9/1863 & Francis Hye, late Sgt. Grenadier Guards, age 47; died 29/6/1864. Elizabeth Copeman. age 96; died 18/12/1956 & James, age 92; died 22/12/1962.
I just went through the baptismal records and listed any with connecting surnames. I will do the same for marriages/ deaths if you wish. It appears that the Hye children were not baptised or not at St. Faiths apart from Maryann, who might have been the last child, I have checked upto 1834 in the records.  There are DYEs in the parish and sometimes the writing is not too great. (I can talk mine is horrendous.) Good LUck MIK.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
MJR
      Hi Mik, you have produced a fabulous list of names for me again. I am doing the same, printing your information out, then working my way through it.
 Will get back to you on the results.
 Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 June 10 03:47 BST (UK) »
MJR
          You have excelled yourself again Mik. Just about all the names that you have given fit into my research.
     Children of Robert and Mary Copeman: I didn't have the baptism dates, thank you.
 I do have two other children though which you may have missed, Charles abt 1821
 and Edward abt 1825.
    ( No doubt Robert died at age 40 from sheer exhaustion )
  Hewing / Herving : I agree that it would appear from the birth dates that this is the one family .   The Ann Hewing that married John High is most likely an earlier child of this family.
 From her burial in 1834 at age 41, I get a birth date of about 1793  ??
  Mary Ann Hye : she fits neatly into the ones you found previously  ( John Hye shoemaker )
  The cemetery memorials appear to be for individuals of later generations than we are researching. Possibly the earlier ones have been removed or are unreadable.
      You have put a lot of effort into this for me. Thank You
Wyanga 

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 June 10 04:15 BST (UK) »
MJR and also anyone else following this thread:
  My direct ancester is Alice Copeman, daughter of Robert Copeman and Pleasance High,
 This has lead to the connections to the names Hye, Ewing, Dye and also King, as Alice married Thomas King at St Nicholas, Kings Lyn, 20 Sep 1851.
  I don't know how far back the records go that you are viewing Mik but if they go far enough we may be able to pursue:
    Henry High b abt 1771 and his spouse Elizabeth b abt 1770 both of Mint Lyn. the first child that I have is John b 1796  so a possible marriage of about 1795 or earlier.

John Hewing and Hannah .  First child we have is possibly Ann about 1793 ( we don't have a baptism for Ann Hewing yet. )   possible marriage about 1792
     The Holmes are the family of Pleasance's second husband , I don't need to follow them any further. The Dye family appear to be from West Acre and the King family from Norwich.
   If you can follow these it would help me thank you.
 Wyanga