Author Topic: Gibson and Miller Family - Edrom Parish  (Read 13380 times)

Offline MBarry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gibson and Miller Family - Edrom Parish
« on: Tuesday 06 July 10 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hello all. I live in America and am new to posting on this site, but I am hoping someone more experienced can help solve a mystery or at least suggest new records for me consult.

My GGG-Grandparents, John GIBSON and Elizabeth MILLER were married on 08 April 1831 in Edrom Parish, Berwick(shire) by the Rev. M. Ralston, minister of the Relief Congregation Dunse. [I located their marriage entry located on the site  ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk ]

I would like to find out who their parents are but am having difficulty due to it being before the law in Scotland required them to officially be registered. One article here in America made mention of John's father being "David Gibson" of Scotland but didn't list his mother's name.

I did notice on same site above that there is a "Anderson Gibson" born in Edrom Parish on 27 Sept 1818 and baptised the following month. Interesting enough, his parents listd as "David GIBSOn and Isabella RENTON."

Any suggestions how I can tell if this are same parents of my GGG-Grandfather?

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson and Miller Family - Edrom Parish
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Did the parish marriage bann/marriage entry say what his occupation was, who their witnesses were and if they were 'of the county? Not that the latter meant that they had been born there.
Do you know what children they had as I can't find any with mother, Elizabeth Miller?  Do you know if Elizabeth was born in Edrom/area?
Anything like this could help.
I have found Anderson Gibson with parents David and Isabella in the 1841 census for Berwick on Tweed with William 20, Thomas 12; all children born Scotland. No sign of a John Gibson born to that family.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 July 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Doing an IGI search with parents David Gibson and mother Isabella produces four baptisms at the Golden Square Presbyterian or Scotch Church, for:
John Gibson in 1807 ,Alison Gibson in 1809, David Gibson 1811 and Robert Gibson 1815.

As is common in churches in England, the mother's surname is not given, but it looks highly likely that John 1807 is your ggg grandfather.

If you search on Scotlandspeople statutory deaths, entering 'Elizabeth Gibson' and maiden surname Miller, between 1855 and 1875, one match is found. (Sorry, I don't have any Scotlandspeople credits at the moment.) You will be able to see Elizabeth's death certificate, and statutory death certificates in Scotland give the names of the parents of the deceased, including the mother's maiden name.
I can't find a match for a death of John Gibson with mother's surname Renton, but that either means he died before 1855, or he died in England.

regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 10 18:11 BST (UK) »
I think we have made contact via another topic, Gibsons of Coldingham.
Only found your query today and I have a death Certificate for DAVID GIBSON dated 1861 March 20th at Burnhall Parish of Coldingham, widower of Isabella Renton, and a farmer.

One of my middle names is GIBSON from my Maternal Grandmother's maiden name and I also know that My Gr Grand father JOHN Gibson was brought up at Burnhall.

On the Death Cert, The parents are given as David Gibson (farmer) & Alice Gibson (m.s. Tait) and it was registered by William, son, of Burnhall.

Direct email to (*)

regards

John

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline vancouvergb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I have just spotted this conversation , and am taking great interest because all the Gibson's from Coldingham mentioned here are related to me ( through my mother ).  I have several cousins from different brothers at grandfather level doing work on the same group of families, so it would be interesting to make contact and compare notes with each other.

regards,
Gary

Offline vancouvergb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 December 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
This note is specifically to John who notes that his ggrandfather was John of Burnhall.  Depending on which John is your gr grandfather, he would have been either a brother or cousin of my direct line.

regards
Gary

Offline patschwartz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 December 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for directing me to discussion, Gary.  I have perhaps only been focusing on the 3 younger sons and forgetting about the 4 elder children (one being John b. 1807) because they already had left home by the 1841 Census.  I am going to do a little more research in that regard.   ::)

Offline vancouvergb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 December 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
No worries !  Its seems uncanny that in the past month I've run in to both yourself and this topic on a family I've been researching for over a decade with no prior contacts ! 

Gary

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 January 11 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to All

I am still trying to work out which part of the Gibson family you are descended from.
I am guessing either Robert Anderson (1856) or Thomas (1863)

I have started again on the Gibson's in Berwick-shire, around the end of 19th century and 1901 census in Berwick-0n-Tweed, but they keep moving from Scotland to England, and is time consuming jumping between the different records.

regards

squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )