Author Topic: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle  (Read 59551 times)

Offline Wortle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I posted a while back in hope that I could join the party, but no joy yet so
are any of you linked in to

Donald McIntyre b1781 m Janet Cook b 1780  OR

Archibald Hamilton b 1797, m(1822) Janet McAlister b1798

If you are have you got any further back?

Thanks
Coleman, Colebrooke,(London) Gilson, Rattue, Matticks before 1780(Wessex)

Offline McIntyreDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for not replying to your earlier post but that was in the beginning for me. As I didn't (and still don't see a connection) I left your post aside.

From my research I am aware of other family seats in Arran, Sliddery has also been mentioned along with other locations and not just in Arran.

I suggest you contact Arran Heritage Centre in Brodick ask for G.S. They have a good stock of family records and are more than helpful.

I do have the email address but don't believe I can post that here. Ask Madame Moderator - Arranroots knows.

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 14 April 11 03:42 BST (UK) »
having visited my parents recently, dad reminded me of what our cousin jim jack had said. jim lived in Lincolnshire many years and has said that there were quite a few family members who lived there.
marc

Offline lancing35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I just found this site and it raised memories. My mother Barbara Smith (nee Gray) always told me that the family had come from Arran / Holy Isle. I had a aunt and uncle of the McIntyre name who, like us, lived in Saltcoats. When I used to go across to Lamlash, all the older people use to recognise me by my family looks and seemed to know my mother and grandmother without me uttering a word. I found it somewhat amazing to be honest.
 I remember being told a story of my great great great grandfather ? (Old Will) who farmed on Holy Isle having seven daughters and how he stood on the top looking for suitors for his daughters. I am not sure how much truth there is in it.
 I seem to recall playing with either a Jim or Robert (when I used to go to Lamlash or Brodick on holiday). Bobby or Jim Dick also rings a bell.
 The comments from members just made me recall it. Not sure how much truth or what the coonection is. But would be interesting to find out.

Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Tom,

You might be connected to John McIntyre(1828-1904) from the Holy Isle, Lamlash, Isle of Arran.

There are a two Barbara Grays but you need to add dates to your ancestors and your connections.

There was Archibald Gray who married Margaret McIntyre b 1856 who had 8 children.

This may be your connection : William Gray/Barbara Gray (around 1900's) and their son and daughter Archie Gray & Barbara Gray(around 1930's). Unfortunately I don 't have any of their exact dates

Let me know if this is where you want to be, also my tree is on MyHeritage.com

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom-I think the Jim Dick your referring to is likely Jim Jack. Jim is the son of Annie, my grandfathers sister.
I believe he is near brodick.
Marc

Offline lancing35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 09:16 GMT (UK) »
 Hello McIntyreDownUnder,
 I think I just lost the reply I composed. So lets try again!  Apologies if it appears twice and slightly different.
 My Grandfather was William Gray, his children, my mother and uncle was Barbara and Archibald Gray born in the 1920's. My Grandmother Gray I believe was nee McIntyre. I had an Uncle Robert McIntyre (my grandmother's brother) who lived in Saltcoats. My Grandpa Gray was in his seventies when he died around 1973/74. So all of that tracks with what you know.
 Interesting to hear about the family of 8 as that could be the one I was always told about. Love to know more about your tree as it has really piqued my interest. I have a cousin, another William Gray who is the son of my Uncle Archibald and Aunt Margaret Gray.

Hello Flyderaght,
 You may be right about Jim Jack, although the name Dick is firmly stuck in my mind. I may have a picture somewhere of him and my older brother George, teasing  me on Lamlash or Brodick beach. they had a bit of seaweed and told me it was a big crab. I could only have been about 3 - 4 at the time.

Tom

Offline lancing35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again McIntyre Down Under,

I just read further back another interesting point you raised. My Mother, Barbara nee Gray told me that part of the family were master builders and some moved to Aberdeen where they built much of the old town.

Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I will get the tree made available to you. there are some protocols to go through but I've forgotten so I will speak to the moderator.

In  case you had not worked it out flyderaght and I, we found out through this site, are second or third cousins but we are still sorting out the tree. you probably fit in there somewhere!

I think you are on the right track and now you need the exact dates and names etc. can you access their certificates or someone who remembers them? I knew Robert and Mary Gray in Salcoats but not Robert McIntyre. are you sure of the names? I need to say I also need to check this