Author Topic: * COMPLETED* William BURFORD - Canberra/Tasmania Australia  (Read 10070 times)

Offline DavoBrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: * COMPLETED* William BURFORD - Canberra/Tasmania Australia
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
The girl with Edna is her daughter, Dorothy Lillian Shaw.
Her are my "notes" on William Henry Vincent and Lillian May Smith. I don't think they ever lived on a farm block
In the 1936 Electoral Roll
Myrtle Claire ( Home Duties ), Leslie Gordon ( Labourer ), Phylis May ( Home Duties ),
Lillian May ( Home Duties), William Henry ( Labourer), Ronald Henry ( Engineer ) and
William Harold ( Grocer )
are all listed as living at Braddon St Queenstown.
Raymond would have only been 15, so not listed on the Roll
They were still in Queenstown in 1943
In 1949 and 1954 Myrtle, Phylis, William Henry and Lillian May all lived at 4 Fulton St, Ulverstone.
His gravestone says he was 81 when he died, which would make his birth year as 1874 but the Archives Office in Tasmania says he was born in 1876, so have taken the latter.
From the Newspaper Notice of their Golden Wedding Burnie Advocate Saturday 22 May 1948
"Mr. and Mrs. William Henry Vincent, who are now residing in 'Ulverstone, celebrated their Golden Wedding last week-end. They were guests at a celebration arranged by thelr children, and which a number of grandchildren also attended
The couple, were married at Wynyard in 1898 by Rev. John Payne who was assisted by Mr. W. H. Pol lard. A year later the couple moved to Queenstown, where they resided until recently when they took up residence in Ulverstone.
Mr. Vincent was employed during all his 49 years at Queenstown by the Mt. Lyell Company at its smelting works. To reach Queenstown Mr Vincent travelled by train to Williamsford. and then walked the rest of the way. Mrs. Vincent joined him a month later, travelling by steamer to Strahan. Travel in those days was far different from now, the journey from Hobart taking two days as against the present time of five hours.
Describing conditions at Queenstown in the early days. Mrs. Vincent said there was no bird life or green vegetation due to the sulphur fumes from the smelters. These became so thick during foggy weather that it was necessary to carry a lanterns during daytime to see one's way about.
Mr. and Mrs. Vincent both enjoy good health. Mr. Vincent is aged 72 and Mrs. Vincent 71.
They reared a family of five boys and three girls, all of who are living. All were present at the celebration except one son in the Navy and another who lives in Sydney. ( Your Grandfather Ronald )
The Golden Wedding coincided with the 15th birthday of their granddaughter Dorothy Shaw."
Vincent - Tasmania - Australia
Oliver - South Australia - Australia
Oliver - Ash next Ridley - Kent - England
Doody - Victoria - Australia
Doody - Manchester - England

Offline TJM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you thank you thank you. Xxxxxx

Offline MOLLY22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 May 13 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you thank you thank you. Xxxxxx

Interested to have read  all the last  posts I was wondering what happened to Faye.

Graeme Burford

Offline DavoBrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Molly,
did you mean Faye, the daughter of William Harold Vincent and Gladys Rose ?
If so, I am afraid she passed away in 2004

Offline MOLLY22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear that  news  which I was unaware off, I fondly recall spending Christmas holidays in the 60"s at Jack and Dot Woodhouses' with Faye  and she was  the source of much amusement. The last  contact we had with her was  when she  visited our house  at Bellerive with her then new born  son to make contact  with Phylis ( my stepmother).

I have  watched the posts  and they have  brought back  memories of the Vincent family.

Kind regards    Graeme Burford.

Offline DavoBrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 31 May 13 08:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, I really liked Faye
She has had a daughter and two other sons since then. Can't make too much comment since they are all living, but they all have kids too, so life goes on.