Author Topic: Edwin Tyler JAMES  (Read 4380 times)

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Tyler JAMES
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 December 10 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone I am back with some news :D

I had the birth certificate today for Edwin James Tyler.
Birth: 7 January 1891.
Place: Station Road, Llangennech, Loughor, Llanelly.
Name: Edwin James Tyler
Mother: Elizabeth Tyler (James)
Father: Walter Tyler, worker in iron foundary
Reported by a women at the birth (not the father or mother).

Now is this another daughter of the family? And who is this Walter Tyler? Any ideas?
Wales.
Walters, James, Evans, Tebbutt, Bartle.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 December 10 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello David :)

If this is your Edwin it is going to be difficult to track him between his birth and 1901! I can't find a Walter Tyler in Carmarthenshire or Glamorgan in 1891 which is only a few months after Edwin's birth.  In fact, the only Walter Tyler I found in Glamorgan was a death in 1878 age 0 at Cardiff.

Perhaps Elizabeth was the mysterious Ditfield who only appeared in 1881?!
As the birth was registered by 3rd parties and probably illegitimate it will be difficult to find the truth.

Kind regards
Morgan

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 December 10 06:23 GMT (UK) »
I was in Wales last week speaking to three older family members, and it was agreed we have the right family, the same family was researched before, but not the birth of Edwin.

I spoke to my sister on the phone last night with the findings. We are wondering if Elizabeth died in childbirth? Walter Tyler may have left her months before the birth. The birth certificate looks like Elizabeth and Walter are married, but why did it take five weeks to report the birth by a third party and not the father? Or the mother? To report it.

A well know show reports "the clues are there" But I wonder who's ..... it is? Family history is like that, we can never know for sure. Still thanks for your help.
Wales.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 December 10 23:51 GMT (UK) »
David,

A word of warning; the January date may not be Edwin's real date of birth. The time limit for registration of a birth is 6 weeks and there was a financial penalty for not registering a birth. Sometimes people registered a birth late and then gave a date of birth within six weeks of the registration date so that they wouldn't face a fee.

If the registration was not made by the parent there could well be inaccuracies in registration, and of course people didn't always tell the truth! It would be interesting to know whether many births were registered at the address or by the same people, which would suggest a place for unmarried mothers.

I can't find a marriage of Walter Tyler to Elizabeth James, and I can't find a death of Elizabeth James or Tyler in the relevant period.

It's a really sticky one  ::)

Kind regards
Morgan

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 December 10 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

I started a street search on Station Road, Loughor in 1891 (using "find my Past" I must say that site is getting better then Ancestry) until I run out of credit (this is a costly interest at times, when you are using the 1911 and 1901 census, and certificates are being sent for, and a yearly fee to the likes of Ancestry). Sorry I wondered off the subject.

Well I checked house numbers 1 to 48, there are still some named houses to do. At number 20, Station Road, Loughor there is a James family.
James James age 51 born 1840
Margaret James age 50 born 1841
Then many children, even a Elizabeth James BUT aged 12 born 1879, bit young. But I did notice that the first child was born in 1872, when the mother was 31? So there may have been a older child born before 1872, so maybe this could be Elizabeth James the mother of Edwin? Now I am guessing. Why would they call two children Elizabeth?

Still thanks for your help.
Wales.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 December 10 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean Loughor or Llangennech?  There are 5 different Station Roads in Llanelly registration district in 1891!  ::)

At number 20, Station Road, Loughor there is a James family.

I had the birth certificate today for Edwin James Tyler.
Birth: 7 January 1891.
Place: Station Road, Llangennech, Loughor, Llanelly.

I think the James family were at Llangennech. Perhaps Edwin's Mother was a relative. I think you said his Grandfather John James was born Carmarthen so need to trace this James family further back to see if there is a connection? I suspect that James James and John James were brothers, but need to check 1851 Carmarthen  :)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 December 10 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Link to this thread to avoid duplication:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,499789.0.html

Offline 2023david

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 August 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello David, we were not told much family history, all I know is that Grampa's mother died giving birth to him, as I understand 'he wasn't legally adopted but brought up by his mothers parents as their own child.'
 Grampa was summoned to London by his father at the age of 12, taken there by train by his mothers parents 'the James's of Caerau' met his father in a hotel where his inheritance was settled on him in trust to his grandparents until he was aged 21, then his father who was of the then English aristocracy, left England to set up a new life in America.
 Some of Grampa's trust money had been spent by the time he reached the age of 21 but he did have enough to visit London again, pay to record a singing record, have a portrait of himself painted in oils, return to Wales, join a cricket club, buy his whites, join a bowls club and buy his bowls, he was also the first baby to be born in the first house to be built in Caerau but I do not know it's name, it may have been called 'ivy house' as I heard that name being spoken of quite a lot. According to my own DNA I have many cousins in New York and Williamston in the US which I have not wanted to follow up but I assume they stem from Grampa's father.
I hope this is of interest but I suppose it does not give any fresh leads for you.
God Bless. xx Margaret 'not the one now residing in the place we call heaven.' 
 Ahh I have a thought, he may have been registered as just 'Edwin James, as the child of his grandparents, he called their children 'his siblings.' 
Oh your Auntie Edwina passed in '1993' and your Auntie Katie(Mary Catherine) passed in '1975'