Author Topic: Gareys in London from 1700  (Read 10683 times)

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gareys in London from 1700
« on: Monday 22 November 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I only started posting on Rootschat a couple of weeks ago, so I went to the Beginners' forum, and I had amazing responses from some very alert people there (Gareys in London around 1800). But I would like to go further. If my correspondents see this, I hope they don't mind my posting here too. I did mention the possibility to them, and it seems the logical place!

I have for some years been trying to trace back my Garey family in the East End of London, using family legend, Internet and, when possible, Kew and Guildhall. I got stuck at:
Edward Garey m Mary Warner 1807.
After that it goes:
  Henry William b 1816 m Elizabeth Jones in 1835
    Richard Thomas (1845-1914) m Augusta Unger (1848-1902) in 1869
      Marcus George 1882-1957 m Sarah Ann Green (1883-1968) in 1912
        Cyril Marcus (1916-2007) m my mother

Richard Thomas was a walking stick carver. He went off from London to the Stroud area. I note there was a new walking stick factory there, and that was his job.

My problem was to get back further, and my correspondents on the beginners' section guided me through finding 2 more generations back, taking me to Hampshire, and particularly Stockbridge, and a family of carpenters who must have moved to Shoreditch.

However, there were a lot of Gareys around the Shoreditch area around 1800, so I wonder if anyone has a link between these possibly related families.

Thanks.

Laurence

Edited to remove details of living persons. Thanks for the advice!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gareys in London from 1700
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 10 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the other thread .....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,496401.0.html

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 10 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurence,

I believe you would be better working back your own family line and if you want to move sideways, work forwards carefully from known siblings in your own tree. There were Gareys in London as early as the 1500s (eg Mary De Garey buried at St Botolph, Bishopsgate in 1592 and the marriage of a Stephen Garey at St Botolph, Aldgate in 1582), Garey immigrants from France and Belgium and, if the information on one tree on Ancestry is to be believed, a possible change of family name to Garey. Although the name Garey is not particularly common it is also not sufficiently rare (particularly when allowing for phonetic equivalents such as Gary, Geary...) for unrelated family groups to be living in close proximity and even in the same parish in London.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to put your advice into effect and have a question about one (or two?) mid-nineteenth century London Gareys. I refer to Edward Bryant Garey. I hope I am not offending forum etiquette by referring to the following.

He was a solicitor, tried and  found guilty at the Old Bailey in 1846 and transported for 15 years. Age 51, so born about 1795. There is a headstone in Hobart, Tasmania, of Edward Bryant Garey, who died 1852, age 65. Therefore born about 1787.

In Abney Park Cemetery in London, there is a burial of Edward Bryant Garey dated 11/4/1859.

I have a wife for Edward Bryant, Elizabeth Dean, married in London 1819, and also in St Catherine's Marriage Index another marriage of EBG in 1849, Shoreditch.

I found the marriage of his daughter Sarah Elizabeth in Marylebone in 1844, in which her father is mentioned as a solicitor.

So are we dealing with two Edward Bryant Gareys, one died and buried in London, and another, the solicitor buried in Hobart, or is it possible that it is the same, who married twice, who died in prison, was buried in Hobart, then repatriated some years later and buried in London in the family cemetery?

I have not found the parents of Edward Bryant.

Thanks for any advice.

Laurence

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Can currently find the following: -

1. Edward Briant Geary - born 13 Mar 1796, bap. 20 Mar 1796 at St Giles, Cripplegate, London. Parents - Geo. (hairdresser) and Susanna.

The baptism of Sarah Elizabeth Garey at St Sepulchre, Holborn on 14 Apr 1822 names her parents as Edward Bryant (attorney) and Elizabeth Garey.

2. Marriage at St Mary, Haggerston on 11 Jan 1849: -
Edward Bryant Garey, full age, bachelor, bonnet shape maker, father - Joseph Garey, Angola hat maker &
Harriet Robinson, full age, spinster, father - John Henry Robinson, surgical instrument maker

Baptism at St Leonard, Shoreditch:
30 Jul 1827 (born 14 Jul 1827) - Edward Garey, son of Joseph (bonnet maker) and Ann

The Edward Bryant Garey buried at Abney Park on 11 Apr 1859 is probably the husband of Harriet. There is a burial for a Harriet Garey at Abney Park on 22 Nov 1858 (age 32).

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Edward Bryant Garey's convict conduct record confirms that he died in Hobart Town in 1852 http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-88,207,79,L,80

It also mentions that he had 6 children. As far as I can establish these were:

Maria Louisa 1820
Sarah Elizabeth 1822 (m Edmund Elsden Goldsmid 1844)
Loetitia or Letitia 1824 (m Richard Ward 1845)
George Washington 1827 (died a bachelor near The Hague in 1867 - administratrix his mother Elizabeth of The Hague)
Eliza 1829
Mary Ann 1831

The one that married in Shoreditch in 1849 must be someone else. EBG the solicitor was in Tasmania at that time.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Ah... there was another son!

EBG's widow Elizabeth died in Holland in 1870. Adminstration granted to her son Napoleon Edward Byron Garey of Nimes in France, gas engineer
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nigel and Shaun. When I recorded the Abney Park burials a few year ago I noted that EBG's wife might well be Harriet Robinson, so that seems to be clearer now. I also had a list of our solicitor friend's children, but I can now update that. It certainly seems that we are dealing with two separate EBGs, for which many thanks.
I cannot link this family to my own as yet, but am working on it!

Laurence

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Shaun: in my records I have Napoleon Edward Byron (name dropping a bit? A real solicitor's son!) who married a German lady, Anna Friedericke Nathalie. He was born in Clerkenwell in 1826 and died in Bromley in 1914. They had daughters Natalie Elizabeth (b Hoddesdon 1857, m 1884 in Croydon) and Adele Letitia (b 1859 in Italy and m Croydon 1881). They seem to be globe trotters. Now I can link Napoleon to EBG's family. Thanks

Laurence