Author Topic: Looking for Michael McGovern Russagh  (Read 23761 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Michael McGovern Russagh
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 December 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel - just in case you don't have the info, the two newspapers are:
 The Westmeath Examiner and the Longford Leader. Both have contact details on their website.

http://www.ardaghdiocese.org/page10.html gives the details of the parish priest. He may still have the original registers,if you are lucky. As it happens he is covering both St. Mary's rathowen and St. Mary's Street,  (which is a nearby village).

It might be worth sending him a copy of the letter too.

Russagh is very close to the Longford Westmeath border. Street or Streete is the next village to Rathowen, so right beside Russagh. Parts of the area  intrude into Co. Longford.
If you have looked at Shanes link, you will get the idea.

Local historians John Tormey and  Peter Wallace wrote a book about Russagh in 1983.

If you don't have this book, PM me and I will be able to give you a contact address.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000102037/Details

You probably have found Michael Jnr. on www.irlandeses.org

and this: http://www.irishgenealogy.com.ar/genealogia/G/MacGovern/michael.htm - he certanly had a large family! The owner of this tree may know more about the forebears of Michael and Brigid? 

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/westmeath/russagh.htm c. 1854

McGoven       John              Russagh                   Westmeath

And for Street:
Mc Govern       Patrick            Kilshallow         Street     Westmeath

is the only likely family listed -  either could well be Michael snr's father/brother/uncle,  but you need proof to link them.

PM

Offline isobel58

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 December 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic

What can I say, how fantastic all this great information. I am really very grateful to you for all your hard work.   I found Michael and his wife and in laws on the Argentina site.  I have also sent an email to Jorge who has the Argentinian tree.  My daughter in London is fluent in Spanish and she translated a letter to him.  I only sent it on Friday and I'm waiting for a reply.

The maps are great I didn't realise the layout of the different places.  I thought Street on the birth records had a bit missing I didn't realise it was a place.    I was going to write to the Longford Leader hoping I could jog someones memory.  I will PM for the contact details for the authors of the book.  Wouldn't it be great if the Tormey that was the co-author was related to my g.g. grandmother?

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 December 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Do hope that you have good results from Argentina. I will PM you the details of the book. Yes, Irish Placenames are very confusing. I think a letter to the Parish Priest might yeild results, seeing as the parish records go back to1822. Also he may be able to point you in the direction of the Local historians. PM

Offline isobel58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 December 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

i agree about the Parish Priest.  There is St Mary's I'll also check for the Chapel in Streete where they would have been baptised.

Also will put something in the Longford Leader.  Also waiting for Louis Keirnan from Mullingar who runs the Irish/Argentina Society.  He sent me an email weeks ago to say he would contact me when he came back from Argentina, no word from him yet.  I did send him another email to let him know about Jorge again no reply.

Thanks again for all your help.  i'll keep you up to date

Isobel

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 December 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
So Street is a civil parish... I searched for a townland with the name and couldn't find it..

It's also the name of an RC parish - see Streete PC Parish

Available record include baptisms from 1821, marriages from 1820, and deaths/burials from 1772.

See the following link for details of the Civil Parish in Samuel Lewis 1837 - Parish of Street

extract : Street, a parish, partly in the barony of Ardagh, county of Longford, but chiefly in that of Moygoish, in Westmeath...2 1/2 miles (N. E.) from Rathowen, on the river Inney and on Lough Dereveragh, and on the road to Granard.....
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is at Boherquil.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 December 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
The chapel in Street is also called St. Mary's. The same parish priest ministers to both - see link I sent you- so you only have to make one contact. Happy Hunting! PM

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 December 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
sorry pm for cross posting,

I didnt notice that your earlier link already included details of the chapel in Street

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline isobel58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 December 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emer

That's good Father Earley being the same Priest for the Rathowen and Street.  I will give him a call at the beginning of the week.   He might be willing to help I can only ask.

Isobel

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 December 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking back at this earlier post, I am very confused   Its James who is the problem: 25 in 1901 to 46 in 1911. Brigid is 74 and 60, which is ok. Did a search and can't find any other possibles in any county for Michael and Brigid in 1901?

For reference here's the family in the 1911 census in the townland of Russagh (as in the title of this thread)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Rathowen/Russagh/882056

Looks like Bridget and some of the children in 1901 census but Michael's not listed-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Rathowen/Russagh/1779314

Nice pic of church

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WM&regno=15303008&print=true