Author Topic: Ladykirk Farm 1851  (Read 25663 times)

Offline Violetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ladykirk Farm 1851
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I am back doing more research and need some advice.  I am making progress with the Smith family.  Today came across George seniors 1811 1869 record of will probate. Newcastle 348.  By his name were the letters OF1459.  Can anyone tell me how to take this further. I am lost!!  I am so excited to have found him.  The executer was his wife Grace anne so I know am on the trail!  Many thanks in advance!

Offline beagriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 04 December 09 07:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a great deal of informatiuon on the Nicholson family from Norham as James Nicholson was my g.g.grandfather's brother.

I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Christian Smith and James Nicholson.  They were only married for about 3 years before he died quite young.

I am curious to know what happened to Murton Farm where he lived.  According the the census Christian stayed on at this farm with her brother John Smith.  Anybody know anything about this farm?  Did it by any chance go back to one of the Nicholson's?

Offline Violetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 04 December 09 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello there

I do't know if the farm was a Nicholson one,  I know there is a Nicholson at a farm at thornton park still.  I will ask my mother if she remembers Murton farm.  Christian is my gg aunt as you know. I don't know if this is a Smith farm.  It seems that in that era money and land married money and land!

I will see if I can find any thing out.  Have you been in touch with Bruce Nicholson?  I can send you detail if you are interested. 

I will be in touch but must go to work now.

Jane

Offline beagriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Violetta on Ladykirk Farm 2009
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 09 January 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
If you are still looking, I think you may have the wrong Anne Fish.  There is an Anne Patterson Fish married to a John Smith but it is a completely different family.  I hope you haven't spent a great deal of time chasing the wrong family.  I have all the details on the John Smith and Anne Fish family who were in Ancroft, Norham etc. one of the first children to be born in Ancroft rather than Scotland.  There was another John born to the same family in 1844 who died age 7 in 1851.  It was not uncommon for another son to be called the same name as the deceased one. He was the son of George Smith 1840-1869 and Grace Anne White Young 1811-1880.  Anne Fish had a sister Jane born 1830 and a brother David born 1874 and a niece, Ellie Fish Born 1897.  Christian Smith, John's sister, married James Nicholson my g.g.uncle who was a farmer in Murton.  They were only married a few years when he died and her brother John moved into the farm to help out from what I can understand before marrying Anne Fish.  Does this help? beagriff   

Offline beagriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Violetta on Ladykirk Farm 2009
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 09 January 11 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry made a small mistake on my first message.  Anne Fish's sister was born in 1870 not 1830.  beagriff
2     England (Counties as in 1851-1901) / Northumberland Completed Look up Requests / Violetta on Ladykirk Farm 2009    on: Yesterday at 20:48:06
If you are still looking, I think you may have the wrong Anne Fish.  There is an Anne Patterson Fish married to a John Smith but it is a completely different family.  I hope you haven't spent a great deal of time chasing the wrong family.  I have all the details on the John Smith and Anne Fish family who were in Ancroft, Norham etc. one of the first children to be born in Ancroft rather than Scotland.  There was another John born to the same family in 1844 who died age 7 in 1851.  It was not uncommon for another son to be called the same name as the deceased one. He was the son of George Smith 1840-1869 and Grace Anne White Young 1811-1880.  Anne Fish had a sister Jane born 1830 and a brother David born 1874 and a niece, Ellie Fish Born 1897.  Christian Smith, John's sister, married James Nicholson my g.g.uncle who was a farmer in Murton.  They were only married a few years when he died and her brother John moved into the farm to help out from what I can understand before marrying Anne Fish.  Does this help? beagriff   

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Violetta on Ladykirk Farm 2009
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 09 January 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
best to go back to your thread and edit/modify the content there - this new thread isnt linked in any way.  ;)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Violetta on Ladykirk Farm 2009
« Reply #78 on: Monday 10 January 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have merged these two threads but they obviously relate to an existing post somewhere.   I will try to link them if I can find it.
Andrea
PS  Can't find it but provided by another rootschatter!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,394471.0.html

Now merged

Offline Violetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Beagriff

Will fill you in on details tomorrow.  Are you aware that Christian my grt grt aunt and her brother John's mother Grace Ann was a Nicholson as well?  James and Christian may have been cousins? I cannot find any information about their father - my grt grt grt grandfather -  there are so many Smiths! Have you seen the photo I posted of John Christians brother?

Offline beagriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 06:48 GMT (UK) »
I will send what details I have but as I am not up on RootsChat, how do I find the picture you have posted?  Thanks