Author Topic: COMPLETED ... SALT family - Alton/Goldenhill/Church Lawton ... COMPLETED  (Read 18276 times)

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SALT family - Alton/Goldenhill/Church Lawton
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Back online after a night's sleep and a long day at work.  I can sympathise with you both and more.  It is so frustrating trying to reasearch families in Europe from this side of the world.  There is nothing like seeing things for yourself.  What I love about this game is the chase.  I have been down so many dead-ends, but found some gems along the way.
Alton: Salt;
Milwich: Handley; 
Fradswell: Hall; 
Leigh: Belcher
Cheadle: Lyemar
Macclesfield area: Salt, Ward, Fytton/Fitton, Bradley, Hanson, Williamson, Tinsley, Corbishley, Potts
Lisburn/Ireland: Herron/Heron
Suffolk: Robinson

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 09:37 GMT (UK) »
So I have found a Thomas SALT married to Elizabeth BRINDLEY on 21 Jul 1771 in Alton, Stafford.  This is looking very promising. 
The details on FamilySearch refer to Indexing batch number M03216-3, source film number 1278803 and reference item 7 p 8 n24.  Now that is the bit that doesn't mean anything to me.  Where do I look now?

I suspect they had a son called Thomas and he fathered my Matthew SALT, otherwise they waited 25 years before having my Matthew.
Macclesfield area: Salt, Ward, Fytton/Fitton, Bradley, Hanson, Williamson, Tinsley, Corbishley, Potts

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Claire:  No idea what that means, sorry.  But I could have a look at the register the next time I go to Lichfield.

Today's haul - not a lot I'm afraid, your Salts are very elusive (I think I now know how Dave felt about my quest  ;D).

St John, Longton - baptism 6 August 1814 - John, son of Matthew and Sarah Salt of Lane End, Grocer.  No other Salt baptisms at St John Longton which covers Lane End.

St Peter ad Vincula, Stoke on Trent - marriage 2 August 1813 - Matthew Salt bachelor and Miller and Mary Robinson, spinster, both of this parish married by Banns.  However the signature is SARAH Robinson (the previous marriage was for a Mary Robinson as well  ::))  Witnesses:  William Poulson and Jane Brassington (x).

Baptisms checked at Milwich, St Peter ad Vincula, and Stone - nothing at all.

I thought I was getting somewhere when I found a burial at St John for a Mary Salt aged 1 week on 13 April 1816, but no sign of Sarah's burial prior to Matthew's remarriage in 1817.

Parsons & Bradshaw, Staffordshire Directory 1818,

Lane End - Matthew Sault, Grocer and flour dealer, High Street and George Sault, Joiner of George Street.

So no sign, so far of Charles and James.

Sue
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at Historical Directories but there is no sign of a Salt (any spelling) in Lane End in
1828 Pigot or 1834 Directory of Staffordshire.

Sue
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 17 February 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I know, patrish - but I ONLY live here  :) :)  My research is Yorkshire, and I can't get there   :'( :'( :'(  So I do what I can for others.   But I feel a bit sad, because I get the "yahooo" feeling when I find something, and the person whose family it is, doesn't  :-*  You can't win!

Sue
quote]

Load of Salt's of Staff's in this tree

http://www.finneyfamily.fslife.co.uk/findex2.htm#SALT

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 18 February 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Claire:  I've been wondering whether the fact that I have been unable to locate baptisms for Charles and James is because Mary was nonconfirmist, and although she would have had to marry in an Anglican church, she had the children baptised as nonconformists - and, unfortunately, I don't have access at Lichfield to nonconformist records in Longton.  OR I was going to suggest that perhaps Matthew and Mary left Longton after they married, but then Matthew appears in the 1818 Directory, so perhaps that's not the answer  :-\  Ah, BUT that was the year of publication, and possibly not the year when entries were accepted  :-\  So they could have moved away by the time the Directory was published, and all the children, except John, were born and baptised in Cheshire.

Sue
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 February 11 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

You have obviously been doing this for a while as you seem to have a wealth of knowledge and ideas.  I am happy to take these on board as I have nothing to offer from this end of the world.

I have just read a response to my post about Thomas Salt and Elizabeth Brindley.  They had at least 6 children spanning 16 years, baptised at St Peters, Alton.  The youngest was a Matthew born 22 June 1788.  This is 5 years too early for my Mattthew  :-\ but I live in hope that I can see the connection.  :)

Claire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 February 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Looking at the info supplied by kind members of Rootschat also info supplied by yourself!

You seem positive Matthew Salt b 1793 in Alton on the 1851 census is your ancestor.

Batch Number: C032162
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyStafford_(A-M).htm#A

Alton seems to be isolated in the valley of the river Churnet between Cheadle and Denstone, in the above link is a list all Salt Baptism! so you need to check the Parents producing siblings around 1785/95

Matthew seem state  this Alton was is place of birth.

Census records only had to take info by word of mouth by the person who supplied it but not from the person who's actual  info events was being recorded. Only reasonable age or year of birth that can be taken as anything near correct is  infant/teenage entries with their parents but any later age as adults is always suspect! to slight inaccuracy by a few years.

The age of Matthew and Place of his birth and residence in later years are your key

Matthew SALT married Jane ?, date unknown and had 6 children and according to 1851 census:
father Matthew (born 1793, Alton, Staffordshire)
mother Jane (born 1794, Lawton, Cheshire)
son John (born c 1816, Lane End, Staffordshire);
son Charles (born c 1819, Lane End, Staffordshire;);
daughter Sarah (born c 1821, Macclesfield, Cheshire);  ???
son James (born c 1823, Lane End, Staffordshire);
daughter Elizabeth (born c 1826, Sutton, Cheshire);
daughter Rosanna (born 1829, Macclesfield, Cheshire).

It would appear that none of the sons married.
Daughter Sarah married Joseph HURST about 1843.
Daughter Elizabeth married William TATTON about 1848.
Daughter Rosanna first married George WARD in 1855. He died in 1869 so she married the widower Thomas Fytton/Fitton in 1872.  Rosanna lived and worked in Macclesfield as a Provisions Dealer/Grocer Shopkeeper in Fountain St, until her death aged 80/81 in 1909.

unquote

GRO
Deaths Sep 1852 

Salt  Matthew    Macclesfield   8a 112

This should give his age at death

Manchester Rambler  supplied this info

Matthew SALT (son of Thomas SALT) married Jane WARD (daughter of Benjamin HANCOCK) t St James,
 Gawsworth on 5 August 1844.  "Age 52 y" ( b 1792)

GRO
Marriages Sep 1844   
SALT  Matthew     Macclesfield  19 99 (Jane Ward)

Therefore with this info above based on no other Matthew of  Alton only Matthew baptised 1788 well within the inccuracy of census age for adults of 5 years that is acceptable with Death ages, lies told on marriages info, illiterate informants on census and death certificated and many more event's.

I think  a broad view commonsense says Matthew bapt 1788 is your Matthew based on his Alton place of birth 1851 census

Sending for certificate is costly! and not always the right one of your family but sometimes one has to buy them! for proof by elimination of others or Just to prove the event was or was not yours.

But that life if you want the best info  >:(

Hope it Helps

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 19 February 11 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes DobFarm, wise words indeed.  :)

I was waiting for a few more chickens to come home to roost (so-to-speak) before I did a batch order of birth, marriage and death certficates.  I have a photocopy of the Wills of both Matthew SALT and Jane SALT, that's how I knew the married names of the daughters, long before I started looking up Census information.

There seems to have been a flood of information all at once and I have needed time to sort it all out.  Add to that the family recollections passed down through the years which also needed to be sifted through.
I have already contacted the people at Staffordshire records. 

DobFarm, thanks for helping out.

BumbleB, I still owe you a coffee and probably lunch for all your help.
I will be touring selected sites of Staffordshire/Cheshire for sure in mid July.

Thanks again, Claire