Author Topic: West Mark School, Petersfield  (Read 69282 times)

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Mark School, Petersfield
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian
I've just sent two emails to Hants County Council and Petersfield Council requesting renter/owner contact details of West Mark. Timing OK for me late Spring early Summer, as you say we are all in our 70's. I'm afraid I'm not into Friends Reunited, Face book or any of these sites. Perhaps Ramsey can help out here - over to you Ramsey. Lets keep in touch via RootsChat, you never know who will read our plans.

Mike

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian
I've just sent two emails to Hants County Council and Petersfield Council requesting renter/owner contact details of West Mark. Timing OK for me late Spring early Summer, as you say we are all in our 70's. I'm afraid I'm not into Friends Reunited, Face book or any of these sites. Perhaps Ramsey can help out here - over to you Ramsey. Lets keep in touch via RootsChat, you never know who will read our plans.

Mike
That's great Mike,
I'll keep a eye on Friends Reunited, let's hope Ramsey is into Facebook#1
Brian

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian it is nice to hear from another West Marker,How about deciding a date for a reunion now ,then we have something to work to,may i suggest that we go for   MONDAY 13th JULY 2015 as that was the date West Mark closed  in 1956 . That gives us plenty of time to get things organised .I do not do Facebook but I do have a friend who runs a local news paper.I will make tentative enquiries.What say you
Regards Ramsey Barber

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ramsey & Brian

The 13th July is OK for me. I have had mixed replies from the councils. The most promising is a councillor for Sheet who is due to email me with info as to who rents/owns the old school land. Another attack is to contact the achieves/history section local news paper for help. I will keep you posted on progress. Facebook & friends renewnited seem a good idea to trawl for other exwest markers. regards Mike

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 08 January 15 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike & Ramsey,
Ok I can make the 13th July at a push,  the weekend is My Lancia Motor Club AGM at Stratford but the main business is on Saturday, so I'll give the sunday a miss.
I had a look on line at the Half Moon and their Restaurant seems a fair size and the Menu is not over the top, I'll check again just to make sure the Restaurant open on  Mondays, although if it's good weather they have a nice garden, not much point doing anything until we've had  a few replies (hopefully!)
I'm sure Brian Waxman would be more than happy to join us so at least we'll have a quorum.
One further point can we assume wives/husbands/partners/ Children are include?
Thank you for all efforts so far, looks like we will really get this off the ground.
I'll have a word with my daughter and ask her advice re Facebook, as she's a regular user.
Regards
Brian

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 08 January 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

Be impressed or what! I have found out that the school land is split into 3 parts. Two houses have been built on 2 plots and the 3rd is a field. A remaining dormitory is still standing!!! I have the names and telephone numbers of both homes and will make contact in due time. I am given to understand that both parties are willing for us to visit. I will keep you updated on progress.
I wonder if we can find Mr Evans's daughter, wouldn't it be great if she could be found and joined us. Any news from anyone on Facebook progress?
Regards
Mike

Offline mervynduncombe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 09 January 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
hi there Ramsey, as you can see i got my son to sort this to get me online, so i have found you and will try and keep following

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 09 January 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mervyn , Welcome to another West marker it was good to chat last night, it must be at least 55yrs since
we last met, remember the strawberry picking at Wisbech when we ran out of money on holiday? I still have
the airgun I bought there for 10 bob .As you can see Mervyn we are trying to get enough West Markers together and have a reunion at The Half moon pub[ that was pub that Eric [pop] Crane our Frenchteacher used] in petersfield and perhaps the school site [If we get permission] onMonday 13th july 2015 ,so if you know of any Westmarkers spread the word Via ROOTS CHAT.
PS don't forget to phone Liz
Regards Ramsey

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 10 January 15 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
What a result! keep up the good work!
Ramsey nice to see you've made contact with another old West Marker.
Last night I sent messages to about half a dozen or so of those who have previously posted on Friends Reunited, today I had 3 replies. Pat Arumets (N'ee Street lives in Australia) she sends her best wishes, but obviously won't be able to join us; while looking through the Magazine I found 3 references to Pat, the first said the she had represented WM at Netball all the Term, 2nd was a very nice Critique on Pat's performance over the term as part of the team by Miss E.M.Elson the Sports Mistress. The 3rd was in a report by the Headmaster listing those who had played a dramatic part in 'Cantara'.

2nd contact was from Mary Goff in Canada who was Rosemary Arnold, she is actually coming over here for a visit in September, her first visit in 8 years,  she also won't be able to join us.
3rd. Was from Len Green who provisionally will join us subject to his holiday plans, so one out of three is better than none.!
I will carry on contacting any others that I can on FR, then as soon as I can after I've done that I'll see what my daughter can do to help in setting something up on Facebook, up to now I've been very wary of joining Facebook, as I think it's very intrusive, but for various reasons this may be the time, as I don't want to get inundated with rubbish, I'll get Anna to set me up so that I get a minimum of rubbish to deal with.

Brian