Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41858 times)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #99 on: Friday 26 October 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
:) mmn is short for Mothers maiden name.
Keyboard86
sorry just a bit confused I take it it's Sarah maiden name and I take it she only had 2 girls

I only showed the two who were at the marriage, in 1871 we have John 37 Sarah 31 William 16 Elizabeth 12 Emma 10 Ellen 4 Fanny 5 or 3 Jane 1
Keyboard86

PS John Walker married Sarah Jellyman March qtr 1858 Banbury
hi I copied and pasted this and I need to know if this is wrong or right.Well, I just typed a reply and couldn't get it to post so I will try again.

From https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl ....

There is a marriage for a Thomas HaNbridge to an Emma Walker in the Dec qtr 1881. The original image of the parish record is available on ancestry and has the name spelled with an N as well.

Thomas Hanbridge 23 Bachelor Labourer of South Banbury Father James Hanbridge Labourer
Emma Walker 18 Spinster of South Banbury Father John Walker Labourer
03 Dec 1881 in the Parish Church of South Banbury
Thomas and Emma signed with their mark (x)
Witnesses Henry Harwood (marked his x) and Ellen Walker who signed for herself

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 26 October 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

We are volunteers on here who look for info to help others with their family research. It is then up to you to verify the info and decide if the info is correct, bearing in mind that names of ancestors are not always spelled the way we expect them to be. You need to collect a paper trail of such things as BMD certificates, baptism and burial records, and census returns to help you with this. As I pointed out, the image of the parish record of the marriage is on Ancestry so you don't even need to order that certificate. If you don't have an Ancestry subscription, check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition....this would give you access to the images.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 26 October 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
:) So many people wanting answers on the Hambridge/Walker families, The parents from my findings of Thomas Hambridge 1857 were James Hambridge who married Frances/Fanny Brayne/Brain/Brains 1845 Banbury, the marriage of Thomas/Emma at present I cannot locate but Bertie b 1894 was with mothers name Walker.
Keyboard86

OK who was the Fred/Frederick Hambridge b c 1897/8 Braddel?? Buckinghamshire with Bertie/Bert/ Thomas/Emma and family in Nuneaton Warwickshire in 1911, where was he 1901?  he appears to marry March qtr 1920 Nuneaton a Florence M Hinsley and his death looks to be Dec qtr 1973 Nuneaton?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 27 October 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Keyboard86
sorry just a bit confused I take it it's Sarah maiden name and I take it she only had 2 girls

I only showed the two who were at the marriage, in 1871 we have John 37 Sarah 31 William 16 Elizabeth 12 Emma 10 Ellen 4 Fanny 5 or 3 Jane 1
Keyboard86

hi I copied and pasted this and I need to know if this is wrong or right.Well, I just typed a reply and couldn't get it to post so I will try again.

There is a marriage for a Thomas HaNbridge to an Emma Walker in the Dec qtr 1881. The original image of the parish record is available on ancestry and has the name spelled with an N as well.

Thomas Hanbridge 23 Bachelor Labourer of South Banbury Father James Hanbridge Labourer
don't you mean Hambridge not Hambridge

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 27 October 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Keyboard86

Keyboard86

don't you mean Hambridge not Hanbridge

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
The Curate has written the name down as HaNbridge with an N. Thomas and Emma did not sign their own names which means they likely could not read and may not have noticed how the name was written.

In my own family tree there are names that are spelled much more differently than what you are looking at here. After gathering much info from BMD certifcates, baptism and burial records, censuses, and other records for my ancestors, and their siblings too, I was able to confidently say I had the correct family.

It is up to you to do likewise and decide for yourself based on the evidence you collect. We cannot make that decision for you.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again, and maybe other than the previous reply, can you can reply to my previous question ref who was the mother of this Fred?

Thomas Hambridge 54 occ Boatman Master of Canal b Oxfordshire
Emma 49 b Oxfordshire
Thomas 23 occ Miner Bondsman b Smethwick
John 19 occ Miner Bondsman b Smethwick
Bert 17 occ Miner Bondsman b Oxfordshire
Fred 14 occ Boatman b Braddel, Buckinghamshire
Residing Nuneaton in 1911.
Keyboard86

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
There was a William Hambridge, Canal Barge owner, but not operating in the Braunston area (at least in 1893). He is mentioned in a Court case -

Jackson's Oxford Journal, May 20, 1893

UNFOUNDED  CHARGE - John Clawley, of Summertown, was summoned by William Hambridge, canal barge owner, of Thrupp......

The newspaper item in reporting the Court case also mentions William's son "Henry".

regards
hi how can I find this news paper please
is there a reference number I could have please thanks asi would live to find what it was about at the time.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi is their any chance you can answer the later replies given to you, rather than going back to one sent much earlier?
Keyboard86