Author Topic: Jonathan Jagger born about 1770 Kirkburton Completed with thanks  (Read 15620 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Jagger born about 1770 Kirkburton
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 October 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

You have done Well!  ;)

Knowles (Nowles or Knewl or knewles) is near Inbirchworth and Upper Denby in or near Emley Parish I think off hand and not that far from Hepshaw

put this in google maps
Knowles  Huddersfield Road, Ingbirchworth, Penistone, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S36 7EZ John Jagger 

Baptism16 Nov 1760 
EMLEY,YORK,ENGLAND 

only possible marriage for him but while hubby is away he will play

JOHN JAGGER  Marriage: 19 JUN 1786 Silkstone, Yorkshire, England

Went You say Penistone-

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Maps/WRYParishes.gif

(Click on the map in link to enlarge)

That barren moorland tops over Hepworth other side Penistone around Cumberworth on to Emleymoor, which right on the boundary line of all these parish's

Look up these two above parish events for abodes and out of parish place etc

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 October 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Pure scandal but! Mr Baines Directory 1822 rusty old key with abit of penetrating oil may just turn with coal mine links and that Matthew Jagger witness 1823 marriage of John Hirst

Remember the mines around Hepshaw

Jonny come lately having a bit of 'hows your father' at each pit head inter linked underground mine network

Flocton Seam

EMLEY in Baines's Directory and Gazetteer Directory of 1822.

Coal owners,

Bedford John
Jagger James
Jagger Matthew
Jagger Robert <<<<<<
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Emley/Emley22Dry.html

later years

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=2494-col3&cid=0#0

John Jagger Bapt 1761 Emley father Robert  <<<<<

John Jagger died 1814

quote you

At John Hirst's marriage, in KB on 5/may 1823, one of the witnesses was Matthew Jaggar. He himself has written his name, it was not a verger etc and it is quite distinctive. I have been wondering who he was for quite a while.

Now I have also found the same signature at the marriage of Enoch Hirst's marriage in KB on 14/9/1801 (he was Ellin's brother). So, that means that the Hirsts and the Jaggar's were friends.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 October 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRINGER-JAGGER-LTD-EMLEY-MOOR-MINERS-MINING-PIT-CHECK-/380367097817

EMLEY.
DD/S/III/25. 4 March  1820. Lease for 19 years for £210 p.a. rent of 2 seams of coal called Yard Bed Coal & Thorncliffe Green Bed lying under Savile property within Emley. The Rev.Johm Lumley Savile of Rufford to Matthew Jagger of Shelley, Kirkburton & James Jagger of Emley, coal miners. Document contains pencilled alterations of parts (as draft for later deed). (26)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=204-dds&cid=0#0

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cmhrc/list80.htm

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobby,

You have completely outclassed me again! How do you do it? It will take me time to digest all you have, once again, very kindly given me!  Interestingly,  I have found a marriage for a Matthew Jagger and Elizabeth Jessop (Penistone 15/10/1810) where the witnesses were John Jaggar and Jas Jaggar (they have both signed), which fits in well with your latest posts.

Thanks again, the info you have given me is brilliant! I've little doubt that I will be in touch,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

From that foggy Baptism of John Hirst b 1796 Kirkburton abode Hepshaw Mother Ellen Hirst Father Jno Jagger or how we have got this far on near nothing

It must be

Divine intervention maybe.

As I would not say outclassed as you have come up with some very well thought out ;) liner info searching but most of my info has been stuff popping up in random google surfing! last being that 1822 Emley Baines directories. that seems to be a key to link alot of scattered info to fit together. Mine is corkscrew thinking with a touch of screwball or in laymans terms mean wondering about in the dark room with sunglasses on till you trip over sumat. ;D but seems to work with both our combined efforts  :)

Dobby

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
If Penistone, 1814, Burial
John Jagger Abode (I think it says Sophley?)  Jan 31st  53 was the father of John Hirst he would be only 18 and if John Jagger was one of this coal mine owning family of Emley they would have had wealth and John may have left a probate Will with John Hirst mentioned in it. That would clinch the theory.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 October 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Dobby,

As usual, good thinking! I'm still mulling things over, but I'm sure I'll be in touch,

Kindest regards,

Chris

Offline TrevorFawcett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 16 October 11 04:52 BST (UK) »
Do you know about the former drinking house "The Jagger Arms"  If you want to know more email me on .................   I may have some information that would be helpful to you

Offline TrevorFawcett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 October 11 04:53 BST (UK) »
sorry wrong email spelling