Author Topic: Disposing of all FH Records  (Read 15585 times)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Disposing of all FH Records
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 20 November 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the problem was a lack of radio reception in the 1950s.

She couldn't get the wood, you know....
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 20 November 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the problem was a lack of radio reception in the 1950s.

She couldn't get the wood, you know....

Maybe she didn't light the beacon! According to the ONS website there were no Cruns listed in 2002, however there were seven names with Crun as a first syllable, giving a total of several thousand Cruns, and 9986 Bannisters.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 20 November 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I do understand that your family aren't keen on keeping the history research, whilst reading this thread I was just imagining being a descendant of yours and discovering that the mysterious trunk handed down through the generations contained all this fascinating historical information  :D :D :D

Oh gosh, if one of my ancestors had somehow done the same!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 20 November 11 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I do understand that your family aren't keen on keeping the history research, whilst reading this thread I was just imagining being a descendant of yours and discovering that the mysterious trunk handed down through the generations contained all this fascinating historical information  :D :D :D

Problem would be whether they realised the importance of it when they came across it or just dumped it in a dustbin.  When my grandmother and her sister were clearing out their father's house in 1972 my grandmother retrieved from a dustbin an old photo album from the 1880s which my Great Aunt had thrown out.  However, if my Great Aunt had known Nan had this in the late 1990s when we first started researching and my Great Aunt was very interested, she would have been furious even though it was her that through it out because she would have wanted it. ::)  The problem these days is that people don't always realise what they are throwing out when they clear out a relatives property, often in a hurry, or get "a little man with a van" (to quote my Uncle who wanted to do this when my grandmother died) to clear it out for them.  In those circumstances the items would either be binned or possibly end up split up on ebay should there be any documents/old photos worth trying to sell.  Personally, I'd rather the research went to somewhere which you know would hold on to it and make it available.  Just had an tavern clock drawn to our attention for sale on a website which was made by an ancestor in the mid-1700s.  Apparently it had been donated to Sudbury Museum some years ago but they have obviously decided to sell it.  If it wasn't almost £14k, we would have been tempted to try and purchase it.  Sadly too expensive but it's annoying when items are donated but the organisations decide to sell them on anyway.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 20 November 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, Smudwhisk I do understand.  You are quite right, consign the research to the proper place and keep your fingers crossed they look after it with due respect.

I was just off in fantasyland, up in our loft, discovering a mysterious box in which......
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 21 November 11 06:09 GMT (UK) »
I encountered the same thing, Smudwhisk, when researching one branch of my wife's family. One of her ancestors was a clockmaker in the 1600's, and through a collector, discovered that this ancestor's clocks sold in the range of 9 to 10,000 pounds. That is just a LITTLE out of our price range!
But, like you, I was fascinated with the thought of something that old being made by an ancestor.

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 21 November 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
If people didn't throw things away then fewer items would gain a scarcity value. One of my relatives was publisher and engraver John Luffman who made many map engravings (not always very good ones) in the early 19th century. The facts that he was a prolific engraver and that some of his work wasn't toip quality mean that prices start at around £20. Problem is I still haven't found one though.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 21 November 11 17:19 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of John Luffman maps available for sale on the internet, though I do not know if they are the correct ones.

Try a google for "John Luffman" maps.
An example is-

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/images/raremaps/107129.jpg

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 21 November 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
can you bundle the family research with another possession of significant value (property, family jewelry or something else) so that the person inheriting the item can only accept it if they take on the task of preserving and handing down the research in perpetuity too?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk