Author Topic: Disposing of all FH Records  (Read 15633 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Disposing of all FH Records
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bethgem. That's very interesting reading. The only caveat I have is the issue of copyright. Does that mean people in the future have to ask permission to use any or all of your research that has been deposited? I don't why, but alarm bells rang when I read that bit.

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 06:44 GMT (UK) »
The way it is written means the SOG would own everything you leave when you die and can do whatever they like with it with no restrictions.

It is a totally onerous codicil which I would be very reluctant to sign.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guy. I am glad I wasn't just having a conspiracy theory moment. I was thinking along those lines myself.

Darren

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Darren and Guy. That confirms my own suspicions about this. I did think that it would be ok at first when I read it, and even thought about how I was going to send a tidied up version of my research, but then it got to me later as some of the words went round in my head. Ah well, that's it then. Nowhere to store it. May as well mark it all as no longer required. But then, someone in our family just might look at it all, the once, before they decide what to do with it.

It still poses a question: what do people do with all theirs and where does it all end up? There has been a deeper and more interest in family history since the televised programme WDYTYA on BBCtv that there must be a need for a place to deposit them without strings attached.

Bethgem
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't really given it much thought before your thread, Bethgem. I suppose I had a vague notion in the back of my mind that if not my son someone in the family would at least take it all, if not continue it.
It does give food for thought.

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Food for thought, indeed. Maybe one day a website will appear that offers everything needed for this, but beware, there are sharks in the website business. We wouldn't want any trouble. Best I/we forget the whole idea!

Offline kazfoster

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bethgem
Came a little late to this discussion.

Have you thought of scanning it all and putting it on the web on your own family site?  You could then put a sum of money into trust to ensure that the website is maintained???
I am sure some body could do this?

The originals you could then pass on with instructions.

I know how you feel though - my Mother threw out my Grans papers when she died - and I have only just managed to extract what is left of my Dads war documents - she is in the process of clearing out - and unfortunately has already destroyed so much (Including giving away an Edwardian wedding dess belonging to my great aunt to some stranger she met at church - Thanks Mum!!!!)   :'(

Hope you reach a conclusion
Womble - Notts/Dby
Stevenson - Staffordshire
Malpass - Staffordshire
Gallimore - Staffordshire
Bettany - Staffordshire
Aldridge - Staffordshire

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 14:41 GMT (UK) »
That is all very interesting stuff. I will read the pdf again, soon, to check it over. Maybe it could do with being updated. It was mentioned in that email they sent me that the section on computer based research is somewhat out of date. In the meantime, thanks for the information and comments. It all helps.

Bethgem

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 19:20 GMT (UK) »
A brief intervention. After reading that information I shall certainly not be leaving my writings on deposit to the SoG. It is of course our right to dispose of them as we think fit. Forty years ago, today, as a matter of fact, my brother and I together with our mother were going through Dad's very large trunk of diaries, he had been a railway driver, and had meticulously kept a complete diary of every day since he joined the GNR in March 1919. I asked Mum what I was to do with them, she said simply destroy them, so I did exactly as I was told, except for a very few items relating to future probate. I have since regretted it, but of course orders are and always will be orders.However, when I retired from being a councillor, I first had my papers professionally weeded by the relevant local government departments, to remove any personal references, and then deposited them in the local archive. Someone might want to read them sometime.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)