Author Topic: The MAY Family to Australia?  (Read 9834 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: The May Family to Australia?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 May 12 02:00 BST (UK) »
There is a possible birth to Richard and Mary on NSW BDM

1551/1859    MAY    MARY A J    RICHARD J    MARY A E    SYDNEY     

A little after Richard's death but possible ...

cheers,
   Ros

(poor Neil  :( )
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 May 12 02:06 BST (UK) »
Well spotted Ros .... and yes, poor Neil.

If it is Tony's family, then a transcript of the bc should list the names and ages of all the older living siblings, and the gender and of any deceased, and state that the father was deceased.   

Cheers,  JM  (off to keyword search some pdf files for MAY .... as a surname and not as a given name or as a calendar month ... I think it could be almost /nearly /approaching those "as easy as" searchings for John Smith).
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 May 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
Well I am back, walked, fed and showered.  Done the shopping and helped with the washing now back to the May Family.   :D

I have pretty well assimilated all the detail given so far but am somewhat cofused as to the Hospital allusion.  Am I missing something?  I would join in the medical history with my laproscopic radical nephrectomy but will resist the temptation.   :-X

Having looked at the NSW Family History Site I was happy to confirm deaths etc. for Mary and Richard.  I had a quick look at Ancestry and they had the Richard J death at Camperdown, Newtown, NSW.  Any thoughts on that?

I will chase after the other possible child, Mary A J, to see if she ties back in any way.  I will certainly consider buying her BC or at least a transcription when I have exhausted my search.

Being a natural cynic I looked to see if Mary A A had any children after Richard's death.  Whoops what did I find?  Maybe a red herring but here it is; any thoughts?

1169/1864   MAY Richard H  Richard  Mary AA  Sydney   ???

I have a John Smith, he's a first cousin but also my main branch has Smiths from a small village called Stourmouth in Kent.  Got them back to c1690 but luckily no Johns mostly Samuels.

Best regards,
Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 May 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Good morning all (11.50am BST) and good evening to all of you down under,

I have been looking through all the resources and the newspaper sites, in particular, but no luck.  I think the next step should be to order a transcription of the Death Registration of Mary A. May, 1888 as posted by Neil.  Following that a transcription of the Registered Birth of Mary A. J. May, 1859 as found by Ros.

My only concern is that JM said ( in an early posting) not to buy anything yet.

What thinkest thou, JM?

Regards,
Tony

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 May 12 10:53 BST (UK) »
No, not yet,  I need to make a phone call tomorrow evening (ie in around 22 hours) to a friend, they are away this weekend, and they have borrowed some of my offline hardcopy resources....  (we share a vast library between us)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 May 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
Ummm.....

Interim info only, needing further efforts, and some waiting time from Thanet (I have forebears who were born and raised there and none of us descendants are actually reknown for our own patience  Shhhhhhhhh  ::) ) ....

There’s this death:  Richard MAY, son of Richard and Mary A, registered in Sydney in 1858  (#1053) .... this is a civil registration, only a year or so after the commencement of civil registrations.   It could be for a wee babe, or for an old man or someone between those two extremes.... It should have lots of info on it, eg, his full name, occupation, age, place of birth, years in the colony, the maiden surname of that Mary A, (and what “A” stands for), and if married, if so, where and when, and the children’s names and ages of that marriage (if living) and the cause of death, the duration, the attending doctor, and the gender of any who are no longer living, PLUS the equivalent of the burial order, so the clergy, the denomination, and the cemetery.

This is a different reference no. from the one that Neil has provided (V18587031 122A/1858) for a Richard Jones MAY.   And the “V” alerts us to that particular record being ONLY the equivalent of an English burial order (so not much chop for family history).... BUT .... the surname of my friend just happens to be MAY .... (expat Kiwi married to an Aussie) and she has done stacks of fh on her OH’s line...  Fingers crossed she may have some wallpaper certs ....

My fingers are crossed (hopefully I won’t need to go to RNSH to have them uncrossed ... it has been in the news lately with various adverse issues and it is located right next door to a very historic cemetery where some of my rellies remains lie).

Cheers,  JM.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The MAY Family to Australia?
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 May 12 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My friend has checked her wallpaper collection and she does not have any NSW BDMs that could help with this MAY family.   We have both also checked http://ausbdm.ucoz.org in case there were any relevant ones there.... and also this site : http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mgfhs/dawnsbmd/h2.htm

So, if this were my forebears,  I would start with the civil registration dc for Richard May, and hope that his wife was the informant, thus giving reliable info about their children ......  I would hesitate to seek any of the Early Church Records certificates (ECRs references at NSW BDM online start with "V") as they follow the English practise of very little information.... In fact the "V" series for deaths is not actually for deaths, but ONLY for burials...    NSW civil rego certificates are quite informative, not as informative as say Victoria's or Scottish certs, but not far off that depth of detail.....   Also, I would NOT go for the 'real deal' certificate but a transcript as per Neil's post at reply # 1.  All three official transcription agents are well respected and diligent in their efforts and will send by email attachments (NSW BDM real deal certs come by snail mail).

Fingers crossed this helps, as I notice that the 1858 civil registration for Richard MAY could be for a wee babe with parents as Richard and Mary A .... but it could well be the civil registration for the "V" series burial for the Richard J May that Neil found...

Cheers, JM    ::)  Hoping this all makes some good sense....  :-X,  I did try to get the reply within the 22 hours  :)

Hi Tony,
Mary Ann May died St Leonards Sydney 1888 Ref#6040/1888  Aged 65 years.
Richard Jones May died 1858 Ref# V18587031 122A/1858 NSW no further info
Sarah A May died 1854 as an Infant. IE under 5yrs old
Ref# V1854352 41A/1854  Sarah A May INFANT No Further information.

This is from NSW Birth Death and marriages.
 http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

The actual certificates can be purchased online or transcripts shlightly cheaper can be ordered

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

Cheers Neil ;D From Oz

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 May 12 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM well within the 22 hours.  8)

I shall now order a transcription for the death for Richard May and hope that it is the husband of Mary Ann Alice and not a child.  ???

Will post results when to hand.  :)

Best regards,
Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 May 12 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi JM et al,

I have received the death certificate for Richard Jones May.  Unfortunately, a very sad time for the family, as it concerns the death of a two year old boy.  :'(

The details are briefly
Date of death, 30 Aug 1858, Sussex Street, Sydney.
Father Richard Jones May a Sailor.
Mother - Maiden Name Mary Ann Barnes.
Informant Mary Ann May, Sussex Street.
Buried Camperdown 31 Aug 1858, Undertaker James Curtis.
Witnesses Richard May and John Barnes.
Where born, Sydney, NSW.

So which is the next Certificate to get transcribed?  ???

And who on earth is the witness John Barnes?  Is this a can of worms?  I hope not!  ???

Regards,
Tony