Author Topic: Sherrard's buried in Mallusk Cemetery  (Read 5793 times)

Offline lunapunk5588

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sherrard's buried in Mallusk Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 03 July 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Sherrard's that are buried in Mallusk. I was told years ago that my great grandad James sherrard (born 1881 possibly) was buried there. There is also a possiblity that his wife is there too - Eliza Sherrard (Chapman).

They had 4 children which are Roy Sherrard (unknown), Annie Sherrard (unknown), William Sherrard (buried in Portadown) and John Sherrard (buried in Omagh). They all lived in Belfast as children. My Grandad John Sherrard moved to Omagh in the later years.

If anyone knows of any information on this family it would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to search my dad's family for ages and its not going very well. My dad's dad died when my father was 13 so we are unaware of the family history. I know I've some records back home in N.Ireland but I live in England now.

Thanks for the help
Lynette

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sherrard's buried in Mallusk Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage for a James Sherrard to a Dorothy Chapman in Fortwilliam Park Presbyterian Church in 1913, is that a possibility?

Edited to add: Looking through the 1901 census, the closest [Edited: James Sherrard] on age is this one from Glengormley, County Antrim:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carnmoney/Glengormley/989585/

Edited again to add:

"If anyone knows of any information on this family it would be greatly appreciated"

Sherrards and to a lesser extent Chapmans are not particularly plentiful on the ground in Ireland so the omens for finding information would be better rather than worse. Can you tell us what info you already have?

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 July 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
Lynette,

There are 8 SHERRARD memorials in Mallusk cemetery.

Only 2 mention a James.
One is dated 1983, so not relevant.

The other, dated 1880, simply states "The burial place of James Sherrard, Belfast".
Location Ref: 124E in the "old" section.
[On the right, behind the hut, as you stand in the entrance off Park Road.]

There are no references to CHAPMAN on any memorial.

MALLUSK MEMORIALS
NIFHS, July 1997
ISBN 0-9524698-1-2

----
There are a lot of SHERRARDs about (big families) and they tended to scatter to the winds.
Many ended up in Philadelphia.
[The ones from near Belfast were originally Scottish SHEARERs.]

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline lunapunk5588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 July 13 14:31 BST (UK) »
From the top of my head I know that my Great Grandfather was James Sherrard (b 1881). Apparently there has been a James Sherrard (whether its first or second name) in every Generation for the last 6 years. There was a family farm somewhere up in the Coleraine area where my Great Grandfather is born. I've no idea on his other siblings or parents. Like I said my Grandfather died when my dad was 13 and my Grandmother lost contact with the Sherrard side. James Sherrard married a Eliza Chapman as my dad tells me (we are related to the Chapman's Farm fresh fruit and veg place in Portadown). James and his wife moved to belfast later on where my grandfather john sherrard was born in the house they lived in . He had 3 other siblings like i've said before.

It is very weak I know but we have been estranged from the sherrard side since my grandfather died back in 1969.

They might have been buried else where then. I've checked belfast burial records but no connection there. I am home in a few weeks so I might have to go investigating places myself in person.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I can find a James Sherrard who married DOROTHY Chapman in 1913 in Fortwilliam Park Presbyterian Church, Shankill, Belfast. The fathers' names were William Sherrard and John Chapman.

Regards

ADDED   Apologies to Gaffy. Just noticed that most of this information has already been posted.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline lunapunk5588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 July 13 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I've just found some records (I'm in N.Ireland) at the mo. James married a Dorothy not Eliza. it was his father who married Eliza. This just clarifies that this is them

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 July 13 06:36 BST (UK) »
If the James Sherrard living in Glengormley (link posted previously) is the correct one - and there's nothing to prove conclusively at this point, just that he is closest in age to your estimated DOB and that his father is William (Kingskerswell confirmed that the father of the James who married Dorothy Chapman was William), then just for your information the parents in the 1901 census are possibly William Crossley Sherrard and Agnes McIlveen, who married in Argyle Place Presbyterian Church Belfast in 1879, here is the father again in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carnmoney/Collinward/187758/

Offline lunapunk5588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 July 13 09:37 BST (UK) »
Then the information that was given to me must be wrong lol.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 July 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Then the information that was given to me must be wrong lol.

Maybe... or maybe not (my post was and is just a gamble), once you get your visit over and your head straight, post what you now know and no doubt folk will try to untease it.  :)