Author Topic: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim  (Read 10378 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim
« Reply #45 on: Monday 09 September 13 16:03 BST (UK) »
As aghadowey has said, 14 was just a household number, that is, the 14th household the enumerator visited in that townland rather than a number allocated to the property itself that remained with it always.

Margaret McKeown may or may not have led the way for her sisters. To be sure, you would need to find the record of the arrival for the Margaret McKeown you found previously and work through the information gleaned to rule in/out it being her.

It is not that unusual for one member of a family to be present at the death of a parent and sign as witness on the certificate whilst a different member is present and signs at death of other parent, even if not eldest.

As you have had contact previously with St Mary's, did you ask them to check in case Arthur and Sarah married there in the 1850s - it would seem marriage records for the church exist from 1848 - 1880 (albeit if Sarah was from another church, it is more likely they married in that)?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 09 September 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
You've been such a great help and given me so much to follow up on. I really appreciate all your efforts. Yes, I can check back with the church to see what they may have. They may also have information on Arthur the son and Edward, regarding marriages, Christenings, etc.

I must have switched around the information on the birthplaces of Arthur and Sara from the "get-go". I have a print out of the original page from the census and went back to look at it after your note and sure enough, it clearly shows I had it backwards.

Thank you so much for all your help and all the leads that you and the others have provided. This is truly amazing and very much appreciated!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 09 September 13 21:09 BST (UK) »
Think I've finally tracked down Matilda in the 1900 census for you, with her surname transcribed as 'Mcheone'.

She is in Newton, which fits well, immigration year is 1899, so another good match, she is a servant, as you suspected and is in a house on Saltonstall Avenue, which is beside Essex Road, the street her sister Mary was in. She is working for the Saltonstall family, whose son was Leverett Saltonstall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leverett_Saltonstall

so another fascinating household, no doubt.

On this census, she states both parents born Ireland.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9TD-K6Q

(the Saltonstall family are also mis-transcribed, as Saltenstall)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
Isn't that amazing. She often spoke of Leverett Saltonstall and he had a lovely estate in Sherborn, MA near where I now live. The Norfolk Hunt Club often rides through the property on their fall hunts.