Author Topic: Staffordshire Travellers  (Read 19408 times)

Offline MeirSoul

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire Travellers
« Reply #63 on: Monday 10 January 22 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Obidiah Mayer Uttoxeter
Halket- longton Stoke on Trent / Banff Scotland
Cooke - Meir/Longton Stoke on Trent
Emery- Meir/ Longton Stoke-on-Trent
Shaw - Birmingham
Leese - Longton/ Fenton/Stoke-on-Trent
Neild/Nield/Neeld/Neald- Uttoxeter/ Abbots bromley
Hodgkinson/Hodgkins - Uttoxeter/Hanbury/Lichfield/Rugeley/Abbots bromley
Brassington - Uttoxeter
Thorley - Stoke on Trent
Mears -Wetley Rocks/Longton Stoke on Trent
Breeze- Hanley/Longton/Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire/Shropshire
Burton - Uttoxeter

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 10 January 22 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Brassington is another name that crops up often.  My great x2 grandmother was Clara Neild , daughter of Job Neild and Emma Brassington . Clara went on to marry Stephen Leese in Longton and became known as the grand old lady of longton.  By the time she died she had over 100 living direct descendants in the Longton and Meir area of Stoke on Trent . I actually remember my own grandparents talking about Clara . Apparently she was a fish Hawker at one time

Just to throw in another link - Obadiah Mayer (the Yoxall horse dealer, b. 1837, son of John & Maria) married Rachel Brassington in 1857. Emma's parents were Joseph and Ellen of Uttoxeter, while Rachel's were John and Elizabeth from Derbyshire, so not sure if a connection?

Love that title - 'The Grand Old Lady of Longton'! :-)
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline MeirSoul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 13:29 GMT (UK) »
https://audioboom.com/posts/1668289-clara-leese-lady-of-longton

Im not sure if it will work but a bit of audio for anyone that might be interested regarding Clara Neild
Shaw - Birmingham
Brassington - Uttoxeter
Thorley - Stoke on Trent
Burton - Uttoxeter

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 23 January 22 23:12 GMT (UK) »
A late reply, but thank you for sahring that audio on Clara Nield, MeirSoul - really fascinating and helps bring her story to life!

Best - Garen.
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 30 January 22 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I knew William Nield was Billy Button, but had no idea how common the nickname was - fascinating stuff - thank you.

I guess the only question now is - which William Nield was Billy Button? Was it Clement William Nield (b. Uttoxeter 1853), or was it William Clement Nield (b. Uttoxeter 1854)?! These two, who both went by the name William and only sometimes using the name Clement, have been easily mixed up by researchers (including myself, leading to me going down the wrong road a fair bit early on).

Clement William (1853) was the son of Charles Nield and Mary Ann Grundy, and Mary, in turn, was the daughter of Clement Grundy and his second wife, Mary Fenton. Clement's first wife was Ann Smith, and she was the mother of John Grundy - married to Maria Hodgkins for less than a day.

Maria Hodgkins remarried to Thomas Nield and was the mother of William Clement Nield (1854), later adopted by Josiah Hodgkins and Ann Smallwood. Why he should use the name Clement I'm not sure. It is this second William I believe to be Billy Button, as he was said to be 26 years old in 1881. He married Rosanna Wright in 1885.

Clement William married Hannah Mitchell in 1880, so probably wasn't in a gang of lads attacking Irish men for tobacco in 1881 (not impossible, of course, it's just a gang is more the environment for a bachelor ...)

A point of interest - when Charles Nield married Mary Ann Grundy in Uttoxeter in 1845, one of the witnesses was Obadiah Mayer, the grandson of the elder Obadiah, and the son of William Mayer and Ann Johnson. I believe William Mayer may have remarried to an Ann Nield.

To stir further - when Obadiah married Catherine Fennity in 1852, one of the witnesses was 'Caroline Blewer', and this is very likely to be Caroline Hodgkinson, daughter of William Hodgkinson and Elizabeth Mear (read Mayer), and who married a John Bloor (read Blewer) in 1850.

There is a another Clement who is stated as being related, he is one of the Crutchleys who are themselves interwoven with all names that are linked within all the stories told down through the years and the lifes of these peoples from in and around Uttoxeter, the name Clement could be a clue that links several families.

Derby Daily Telegraph - 03 December 1891

Petty Sessions, Wednesday.—Before Captain Dawson.  Charge  of Cutting and Wounding.—Clement Crutchley, labourer, of Uttoxeter. Appeared in custody  charged with having caused bodily injury to his brother-in law, John Neild, Saturday evening last. —The police stated that on hearing of a disturbance at Crutchley's house, they went and found Neild lying in a semi- conscious state, covered with blood, and with cuts upon his face which had been stitched by a doctor. Upon the floor there were broken crockery and an open pocket-knife.—John Nield himself said he went into his sister's house and saw her husband (Crutchley) fighting. He took her part, and struck prisoner, but was himself knocked down, and, falling upon the sharp corner of a sofa, he cut his face and caused the injury.—Mr. Wilkins. appeared for Crutchley, and submitted that there was really no case for him answer.-—The police, however, said they had expected two witnesses who saw the affair, but they had not appeared.—The case was adjourned until next Court day for the witnesses to attend. 

Burton Chronicle - 17 December 1891
 The charge against Clement Crutchley for  the alleged wounding of his brother-in-law, was withdrawn…………   

Thank you MeirSoul for finding and putting on here the story of Clara Neild, a great story of a great Lady

Offline MartyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 06 March 22 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to say thanks for all the valuable information that has been presented on this thread.

I was pretty thrown when my DNA profile came back as 1/8th Eastern European as I was only aware of having English ancestry. All the other branches of my family tree were complete and definitely from the Staffs and Leeds areas, but I'd had difficulty going up my paternal grandmother's branch.

Part of the issue was that my GM's mother's surname was marked as 'neald' on her birth certificate, which I initially thought was a mistake, but upon further research discovered was a spelling variation of Neild.

From this I traced my tree through to my GGM Maria Neild (1875), daughter of Thomas Neild (1845) whose parents were Thomas Neild (1817) and Maria Hodgkins (1818).

Through this thread and Garen's site I managed to get enough pointers to untangle the mystery and also learn a lot about the way of life and 'adventures' of the travelling people back then.  :)

Offline MeirSoul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 13 March 22 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to say thanks for all the valuable information that has been presented on this thread.

I was pretty thrown when my DNA profile came back as 1/8th Eastern European as I was only aware of having English ancestry. All the other branches of my family tree were complete and definitely from the Staffs and Leeds areas, but I'd had difficulty going up my paternal grandmother's branch.

Part of the issue was that my GM's mother's surname was marked as 'neald' on her birth certificate, which I initially thought was a mistake, but upon further research discovered was a spelling variation of Neild.

From this I traced my tree through to my GGM Maria Neild (1875), daughter of Thomas Neild (1845) whose parents were Thomas Neild (1817) and Maria Hodgkins (1818).

Through this thread and Garen's site I managed to get enough pointers to untangle the mystery and also learn a lot about the way of life and 'adventures' of the travelling people back then.  :)

Do you think the 1/8th Eastern European part of your DNA comes from the Neild/Hodkins side ?

Your GG grandfather Thomas  and my GG grandfather John were brothers.   John also married an Hodgkins who happened to be Marias sister
Shaw - Birmingham
Brassington - Uttoxeter
Thorley - Stoke on Trent
Burton - Uttoxeter

Offline MartyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 06 May 22 14:10 BST (UK) »
Oops, didn't get a notification :-\

I believe so as this line of the tree is the only one that I have little information about. I've managed to follow the rest back for a few hundred years and found nothing indicating European origins.

The ~12% Eastern European (Hungary, Romania, Poland, Ukraine) indicates that a great-grandparent was full blood European. Of course, it may be a complete red herring, as the estimates are not always accurate, but it makes me wonder still nonetheless.

Offline DBlore

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 00:33 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but some of the surnames listed here have me wondering about one of my ancestors. My 3 x great grandfather was Samuel Blore, sometimes spelt Bloore or Blower. He was born around 1828 in Trentham, Staffordshire. He was married twice, his first wife having died young. The confusing thing though is on his marriage record to his first wife his father is listed as Thomas Johnson but 4 years later, when he remarried, his father is listed as Thomas Bloore. Samuel was listed as Bloore on both documents. I could never figure out why his father would go by two different surnames. After reading this thread (which was very interesting btw!) I'm wondering if maybe his father was part of the Traveller community? My DNA ethnicity estimate came back 11% Eastern European which always confused me too. The only thing that gives me pause is Thomas is recorded as being a Joiner on Samuel's first marriage record and then a Waterman on the second record, neither of which are traditionally associated with the traveller community as far as I know?

What do you guys think?