Author Topic: Marriage and children of John Steel and Margaret of Byker  (Read 7243 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage and children of John Steel and Margaret of Byker
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This is an entry for Francis Steel and his family, whom are living in Byker in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Francis's wife Margaret is absent, so I assume she has died, there is a Margaret Steel whom died in 1840.

Head (implied)   Francis Steel   60 - 64
Son (implied)   John Steel   25 - 29
Daughter (implied)   Margeret Steel   25 - 29
Daughter (implied)   Ann Steel   4

I was wondering if someone could help in finding the marriage of his son John and his wife Margaret. Also according to family search, they had several children, Ann, born in 1837 and Francis in 1838.

I cannot find Francis in any succeeding censuses, but there is a possible death record in 1877 in Rotherham.

I would appreciate it if someone could help in find Francis.

thanks

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and children of John Steel and Margaret of Byker
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Is this 1841 census you are quoting from?
It does not give relationships, so how do you know John and Margaret are married and not brother and sister ( or cousins or anything else for that matter!)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
John is definitely Francis's son  :)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDVB-VQ7

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1851 census I think Margaret is actually John's wife and Ann is their child. Margaret might be Margaret Henderson before marriage as her mother appears to be living with them in 1851

Francis dies in 1841 and I see from the 41 census he was not born in county. I cannot find a marriage for him and its possible he married the senior Margaret outside the county

In 1851 they are living at Monkton Paper Mill in Hedworth, Monkton and Jarrow under reference

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2400; Folio: 416; Page: 25; GSU roll: 87078.

and John's age has been incorrectly transcribed as 56 on Ancestry
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a daughter Margaret baptised 08 Dec 1805

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDKW-QRP

Edit: There seems something wrong as the BT's say the father is James
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Francis was from Cumberland, he was born in Stapleton in 1776 to John and Ann Steel. He is my 9x great granduncle.

It is possible he married Margaret Harbittle in Gateshead, Durham in 1796 and they had two children, John in 1815 and Margaret in 1805

So the John Steel living in Monkton is him? I always thought he was a different Steel

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Well the 1805 baptism is for a Margaret and the mother was Margaret Harbottle before marriage and the father is from Cumberland, although the name on the BT's is James yet the familysearch site says it is Frances (sic). It would not be the first time the records differ between the parish registers and the BT's

Yes the 1851 is definitely him (John)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
This is what freereg says about the 1805 baptism so looks like it comes from the BT's

County Northumberland
Place Newcastle Upon Tyne
Church All Saints
RegisterNumber 
DateOfBirth 03 Aug 1805
BaptismDate 08 Dec 1805
Forename Margaret
Sex F
FatherForename James
MotherForename Margaret
FatherSurname STEEL
MotherSurname HARBOTTLE
Abode Stapleton Cumberland
FatherOccupation Labourer
Notes Entry reads - Margaret Steel 1st Dr of James Steel Labr of Stapleton Cumberland by his wife Margaret Dr of Robert Harbottle pitn [pitman] of Heworth Durham.
FileNumber 1081

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
thanks, I appreciate this

It looks like John had two more children I was unaware of, John and William

I have checked the census, but I cannot seem to find them, nor their child Francis, whom hasn't appeared on the census, though a baptism record exists. He may have died young, perhaps before the 1841 census.

It's no problem if Francis had his name written erroneously, it was definitely Francis.

Interesting that the family are living in Durham, quite a distance to travel, especially since all subsequent census entries give them as living in Byker. John is last seen on the 1881 census as an invalid