Author Topic: William Tuckwood 1806 (Bap 16 November 1812)  (Read 12518 times)

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Tuckwood 1806 (Bap 16 November 1812)
« Reply #36 on: Friday 06 February 15 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Annie

Welcome to the community of the puzzled (or should that be confused?). I'll give my take on where we are, not least because each time I review it something else pops out at me.

I interpreted the original question as "is there any possibility WT of Willoughby is the WT son of WT and Elizabeth Grainger of Nottingham St Marys". I think we've all concluded no.

The question then becomes "what happened to WT jnr of Nottingham St Mary"

Your next question - what is the evidence for birth dates of WT snr and EG's children - see reply 32.  Also Maggie's last reply giving James as 32 in 1841. My own view is that the 1806 for William was introduced by someone (it's on worldconnect) who has wrongly equated WT jnr of St Marys with WT of Willioughby. But as I think you've picked up it's all a mess.

My reply also omitted John. There is John Tuckwood cordwainer aged 25 at East Leake in 1841, but in 1851 he's in Loughborough and gives his birth place as Leake. Marriage at East Leake 1836. Also in 1814 there is a John Tuckwood butcher in Nottingham St Mary. Can't at the moment find him in 1851.

That has a bearing on your next question- 1 or 2 Tuckwood families in Nottinghams St Mary. If Leake birthplace is correct, then still no argument for 2. 

The potential 1834/5 burial for a WT comes from me.  It follows from an examination of the 1829 marriage;  the 1835 marriage of Sarah Tuckwood to William Kidson, and subsequent data on Sarah Kidson.  I can't find a Sarah Tuckwood baptism, Sarah Kidson in 1851 census is born Norwich. There aren't Tuckwoods in Norfolk. Only marriage I can find to give a Sarah Tuckwood is 1829. So it all suggests that in 1835 she was a widow of WT. That implies a WT burial but we can't find it. Which WT?  I find it difficult to believe it's WT jnr. He's around 20 in 1829, Sarah Kidson / Tuckwood / possibly King would be 39.  This hypothesis also requires the burial age for Elizabeth to be wrong, but we can't see another Elizabeth Tuckwood. The overall theory is

Elizabeth Tuckwood (Grainger) dies 1825
WT snr marries 1829 Sarah King
WT snr dies around 1845/35
Sarah Tuckwood marries William Kidson 1835

but it really is speculation.

And it still leaves the question of where William jnr is. Wendy's found the discharge record, but that William seems to have attested aged 18 in 1835 and be born Jan 1817. Is there any reason Wm jnr would have understated his age to sign up? He appers to hav ebeen examined at Chathom Nov 1849, but I can't see him in 1851 census. There is in FreeBMD a Wm Tuckwood died at Nottingham 1850, but that is not on the NFHS CD.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 06 February 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I don't think that WT snr is the one who married Sarah King I looked at his signature on that marriage and the one on his 1803 marriage and they are totally different.  As we cannot find a burial for him or WT jnr I wonder if they are buried in the General Cemetery that opened in 1837 but cannot check those records until Nottingham Archives reopens in the spring.

If any of you would like copy's of the Church records I can get them next week when I go to the library again and email them to you just let me know.

Wendy
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline maggie.mae

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 06 February 15 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate the copies of the Church records,Wendy,and I've found another Tuckwood marriage. 7th August 1796 Abraham Tuckwood and Elizabeth Selby married St Nicholas Notts St Marys.
Maggie

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 06 February 15 12:46 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't help with the 1806/12 William but here is the Lincolnshire marriage of William Tuckwood and Amy Dring in 1779

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=542149&iid=181944

(by the way what evidence do we have that these are the parents of William Snr? I was wondering if perhaps some burials took place in Lincs if the family was originally from there)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I have found why John Tuckwood butcher doesn't appear in 1851 census. He was murdered in August 1850 - multiple press reports.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
The report in the Notts guardian would seem to suggest that he died as a result of being extremely drunk!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a copy of George's marriage cert online; Oct 25 1839, and he does confirm that his father (Willima Tuckwood, cordwainer) was deceased.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
OK will look at that marriage and get copies of records.  There's also a Thomas Tuckwood & Ann Collington at St Marys on 3 Oct 1814.  Odd that there is no christenings of Children for this Thomas  or Abarham.

Wendy
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:51 GMT (UK) »
There is the burial of John Tuckwood in 1835 at Nott St Mary, age 57 -- abode Fine St -- clutching at straws I know, but I can't find any other John Tuckwoods of suitable age on any of the indices and I am beginning to wonder if this was William and the register is incorrect.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)