Author Topic: Getting confused over Liverpool Road/Street, Auckland - Can you help?  (Read 17464 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Getting confused over Liverpool Road/Street, Auckland - Can you help?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 January 16 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The link below suggests that that road was called Liverpool Street in the 1920s. This suggests that the reference to Liverpool Road is simply a mistake. How it was made would depend upon the process used at that time to create the Electoral Roll.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gtk/

Andy

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 January 16 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Just throwing this into the mix.........

From 'Papers Past'-

All entries (20) for Liverpool Street Glen Eden, cover the period 1928 to 1944.

All entries (15) for Liverpool Road Glen Eden, cover the period 1935 to 1945*.

[*This being the cut off year in 'Papers Past for the Auckland newspapers.]

??? ???

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 January 16 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Andycand.

The plot thickens, for the non-local, just like my various spellings for Waikomiti. They are all in print [over time] found in the last 12 months of my research.

What can confuse, even further, in your example, is the [Location] description of Huia Valley, in association with Glen Eden. They are many hilly miles apart, and the "Huia Valley" in this context is more probably a broad area, nod to electoral or demographic areas.

Have a good look at todays maps, and you will be perplexed. Even more so if you were to walk that way each week, as many did in the 1920's, from the Glen Eden railway station, to their job building the great water storage dams of Nihotapu and Huia, in the Waitakere Ranges. Even today, by car, it is a 15 to 20 minute drive, up the West Coast Road or out along to Titirangi and then the Huia Road, to the Manukau Harbour Entrance Channel, and various bays.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Oral History recording - Mary SHAW - re Oratia,
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 January 16 11:22 GMT (UK) »

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that map Alan.  Interesting to see how different it was then to what is there now.  I see that you marked Tahi Terrace for me.  Do I assume that Liverpool Road got renamed Street and is now Tahi Terrace?

On the modern day map Tahi Terrace appears to be a road that looks like two sides of a square (roughly!).

Good morning - I think though, rather red eyed.

Recapping:-

As per reply 1 and link, West Auckland Street names history from the Auckland City Library.

#1. I have no reason to challenge their statement that Liverpool Street marked on a survey plan of the 1920's found this morning [Map 7937] became known as Liverpool Road and then possibly after it was extended down through lotts 158 & 159 to Fruitvale Road, became renamed Tahi Terrace.

#2. In the section of the 1906 Survey plan already posted it can be seen that there were a number of small allotments 165, 158 & 159 in the area you are interested in. I can privately supply a copy of the full TITIRANGI survey plan that I photographed from a Museum wall display.

#3. In the [Map 7937 c.1920's] in the Libraries Heritage maps section, is a clear survey plan showing lott 165 subdivided into quite a number of house sections with Liverpool street being a no exit street off Rua Road that ran parallel to the railway, along the shoulder of the rising land, BUT not turning down between lots 158 and 159 to reach Fruitvale Road. Note also in this plan, to have done so, would have required the cancellation of sections already surveyed along Fruitvale Road.

[EDIT - OOP's upon looking at the now posted 1920's plan I see that Rua Street was formerly known as CROYDON Road so the roading in that immediate area, when through some name changes. Interesting and a challenge for researchers]

#4. In the [Map 2258 c. March 1944] in the Libraries Heritage maps collection is a very detailed survey plan showing not only the cadastral boundaries, but also land contours and buildings plus the hedge rows and trees in ever expanding orchards of the area. Not sure if actual from aerial photos, or figurative from land surveying.

My online copy is low resolution, so is hard to blow up to see and study the detail. From what I could make out I was assuming [in previous posts] that the initial subdivision of lot 165 had been into one acre lots, which was a common practice of that area in the Waikato. However upon locating Map 7937 this morning it can clearly be seen that the lot 165 was surveyed into house sections at an earlier time than I had anticipated. Therefore my comments about possibly being on a small farm could well be in error, unless the ENGLANDS were there before the Great Depression.

#5. I was recently advised by the Library, that high resolution copies of their heritage collection can be purchased, and supplied by email for NZ$15.50. Assuming any material you want a copy of is free of copyright.

Email address;   library_photos@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz

#6 I have checked my copy of the interment plan of the Oratia Cemetery, on the West Coast Road almost opposite SHAW ROAD Oratia, but could find no SHAW burials. Perhaps they were Catholic ?

Now very late for todays awaiting farm work, so must be off. Hope you find this research interesting.

- Alan.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Out of curiosity I drove through Tahi Terrace yesterday,there are a few bungalows which would have been built in about the 1920's and then a lot of 1940-1960 styled houses

http://www.renovate.org.nz/bungalow/

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Out of curiosity I drove through Tahi Terrace yesterday,there are a few bungalows which would have been built in about the 1920's and then a lot of 1940-1960 styled houses

http://www.renovate.org.nz/bungalow/

Cheers Janette

SNAP, or at least you beat me. Should be up that way again in a few days to mow my relatives lawn, and was thinking would try to get some camera shots. Have got rather involved trying to find old survey plans and photos of that general area. Wished I was a better navigator and advanced searcher within the Auckland Library Heritage Collections. Could have done to have found this mornings map find months ago, would have saved making ill founded assumptions from my limited resources.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Unearthing the history of Liverpool Street, Glen Eden.

- Alan

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 January 16 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Well much to my surprise I have had a reply from Battersby the funeral directors.  However I am no further forward and in fact she said the address was Liverpool Street.

She did say that back in 1938 Glen Eden would have been mainly farms and orchards.   So there may have been a farm or orchard name to the property, or they were the only ones living on Liverpool Street.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire