Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24293 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
If you email the Lending Library at Boston Spa they will know if they "hold" the "Selby Advertiser" and if so, the years of publication. 
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 06 October 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
If you email the Lending Library at Boston Spa they will know if they "hold" the "Selby Advertiser" and if so, the years of publication.

Hi Goughy, dobfarm and All,
Sent, enquired about start date of newspaper and copy survival dates too.
Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 06 October 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Seems the "Selby Advertiser" will not go back far enough to report George Hood's daughter's burials 1853 - 1855.

Seems the Selby Advertiser was mentioned in other papers, 1857 to 1860.

Extract of the Advertisement - Leeds Mercury 2nd October 1860 ...

Selby, Yorkshire.
Important Sale of News and Jobbing Types. Printing and Book-binding Materials, Presses, Office Fittings, &c., on Wednesday, the Third of October, 1860.
The Entire PLANT of the "Selby Advertiser" Newspaper, will be offered for Sale by Auction, with about 100 sorts of Jobbing Types, some of which are nearly new, and of the most modern founts,- from Besley's and other eminent founders.

The sale was to be held at the premises in Finkle Street, Selby.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 06 October 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
In those days sometimes little bits of news items were put in laboriously long columns of trivia about local happenings and just basically yapping about gossip drifting a long in a paragraph as if one issue.

Week after the death in the next weekly issue, not a obituary as such but some like:

Mrs Hood of ----- died last week after an aging illness and was buried at------, the service was by Rev ---- ----: Mr Kelly found rats are on his farm again: It is said Selby may get a new railway station: ---so on----and on --
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hello

My four times Gt. Grandfather was George Hood of Selby, Yorkshire, England, who married Sarah Russel at Selby in July 1815. They had five sons and three daughters baptised at Selby.

Their son William Hood married Jane Casson at Scarborough in December 1851 and was known as Jane Hood and Jane Casson Hood, of Wren Lane, Selby, laterly Byefield alias Byfield, Selby and Brayton, Yorkshire, according to our Hood Family papers and that both were understood to be buried in the Quaker Burial Ground at Selby, Yorkshire, England, UK.

They had three children Edwin Hood, Marion Hood (who became the wife of George Scaum of Pontefract, called Marion Scaum) and Beatrice Hood.

EDIT: Four children, 4th was Alfred William Hood.

I understand Jane Casson Hood held family papers in the 1880s, which are still held by a Casson family member in the USA.

I would be most grateful please, if your family papers shed any light on William Hood's father, known as 'George Hood of Selby' in 1815, or even, where George Hood was buried when he died at Selby 18th September 1845?

Hello All

I came across Edwin Casson Hood in the 1942 Probate Index and a Frank Tomlinson, retired Railway Clerk claimed Probate.

Edwin Casson Hood (son of Wm Hood of Selby) married Mary Ediss in 1910, (Free BMD & 1911 Census) and was the Grandson of the elusive George Hood (George Hood = Sarah Russell, Selby 1815)

Although, I cannot quite link to Frank Tomlinson, retired, yet (in the 1942 Probate), an Elizabeth Hood born/bapt Knottingley married an Alfred Tomlinson in 1857.

Some of these Tomlinsons also went to the USA. 

Unfortunately, I have little information at the moment on Frank Tomlinson, if we can link him please to Elizabeth Tomlinson (nee Hood), I've likely got a sideways relative Thomas Hood at Knottingly, to my elusive / mystery George Hood?

Also a John Hood & Sarah having children at Knottingley 1776 & 1778.

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
I checked out that George Hood land tax (off hand about circa 1813 or 14) living in George Wilkinson property Knottingley- There was also a Francis Hood on the land tax other near years land tax 1810 to 1830's Knottingley, who stemmed from a John Hood Pontefract 18th century but who the George Hood Knottingley L/tax was ? did not seem to link to anything. Unless Francis was Francis George Hood or George Francis Hood.

Thing about around Selby, Pontefract, Hull, Wakefield, Snaith, Leeds, York being East-West and (south of York) North Yorkshire - There is no baptism of any George Hood baptism  1780 to 1790 to link too of any Hood clans in above areas,

Seeing as some of George's kids went Cheshire- Leicester -Northampton down stream -maybe its time to widen your search into Staffordshire as there are a few George Hood baptisms 1783 ish to 1788/9

Bearing in mind there is no actual direct occupation (except his own a cooper) of any Hood linked to George Hood resident Selby 1812 and no actual Hood mariner linked to George Hood married 1815/death 1845 himself- The Scarborough/Selby Hood's could be just coincident. as same surname as George Hood an outsider to Selby 1812 from afar (From where ???).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
There's quite a bio on Elizabeth Hood/Tomlinson & family on Find a Grave:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37479
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 27 October 16 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks.

Re: Find a Grave, I noticed that this evening.

Ordered the 1942 Will & Probate (up to 2 wks) as I need more information about this retired Frank Tomlinson.

After reviewing a few things:-
an unknown Mr Hood, link with a Samuel Hirst of Kellington (1833) and an unknown Emma Hirst (Visitor) with Charles Hood born Selby, at Whitwood Normanton (near Castleford) in the 1891 (Charles Hood was another Grandson of my elusive George Hood);

the fact that George Hood's Marriage Bondsman Chester Newby of Whitley baptised Kellington, was prepared to offer a £200 Bond to verify George Hood in 1815;

a George Hood in the Knottingley Land Tax in 1813 -1814 with Wilkinson the owner (per dobfarm) we know the Selby Wilkinsons are linked to Sarah Arundel who married James Hood born Selby (James Hood's father was my elusive George Hood).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728231.msg5801884#msg5801884
Quote from: BushInn1746 on Saturday 07 November 15 17:37 GMT (UK)
1858 John Wilkinson Hood (James Hood was Son-in-Law of 'Head' Mary Wilkinson, but James wife was nee Arundel)?

James Hood was Son-in-Law of Mary Wilkinson, per Census.

Quote from: Goughy
Sarah Arundel was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Arundel who married John Wilkinson, therefore Mary Wilkinson is the mother-in-law of James.   Sarah Arundel is living with John and Mary Wilkinson in 1851 Census (may be he was Sarah's father, or just brought her up as his "daughter")

End of Quote.

Hopefully, I'll know more when the 1942 Edwin C. Hood Will arrives.

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 27 October 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
I assume you have the 1911 census for Edwin.  I obviously cant  post the details but he is listed as the son-in-law of someone not called Ediss.

Once you review the 1911 you should see where Frank fits in:

01 Jan 1897 Heage, Derbyshire
Frank Tomlinson s/o Benjamin married Annie Shore d/o Joseph Smith Shore.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSJL-K8H  (Note Occupation)

Added: 10 Jul 1871, Heage, Derbyshire
Joseph Smith Shore 18 s/o Isaac
Alice Elizabeth Ruth Stone 19 d/o John
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.