Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121453 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #153 on: Monday 29 August 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Ahood~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Anorthumberland~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1755-1775~

1779 Marriage of John Hood b 1756 & Elizabeth Gibson (daughter of Richard Gibson of Selby). Bondsman is John Scott, Waterman

The above John Hood does not seem to have been baptized in Newcastle  as there are two John  Hood father John baptisms, one 1760 and one 1769, looking like the 1760 baptism died. (If John Hood  b 1756 lied thinking his age being bapt 1760).
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #154 on: Monday 29 August 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
Possible baptism of Richard Gibson at Newcastle All Saints: 6 June 1762, father Thomas

For what it's worth here's the relevant baptism from the Durham Bishops Transcripts (bottom of colum 3) The word after Gibson is his occupation  ::)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i8y/

Have I missed something ...

30th October 1792 Richard Gibson's Selby Marriage, Gibson was aged 26 years, see attachment - giving a Birth about 1766.

But link takes us to 1762 baptisms and image dated 1762.

Seems BT images in the quoted link, jump from the end of 1762 to 1769 and the image we need to check (1765 to 1766) is missing.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 00:50 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Arichard~%20%2Bsurname%3Agibson~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Anorthumberland~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1764-1768~

Would suggest a look at Hood's/Gibson's on 1841c around Longbenton/Gosforth/Town moor/Gateshead areas of Newcastle see if there is a household with both surnames
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
Possible baptism of Richard Gibson at Newcastle All Saints: 6 June 1762, father Thomas

For what it's worth here's the relevant baptism from the Durham Bishops Transcripts (bottom of colum 3) The word after Gibson is his occupation  ::)

30th October 1792 Richard Gibson's Selby Marriage, Gibson was aged 26 years, see attachment - giving a Birth about 1766.

Seems BT images in the quoted link, jump from the end of 1762 to 1769 and the image we need to check (1765 to 1766) is missing.

Regards Mark

The link I gave was correct. It simply took you to the baptism referred to by Claire in reply #7......Newcastle All Saints, 6 June 1762  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello

Regardless of Richard Gibson, the Cooper being elusive at birth and death, I still believe there is something in the John Hood = Elizabeth Gibson marriage, it is the 'd' on the George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage Alleg/Bond and John Hood signatures, the stick is brought through itself, forming a circular pattern.

This Hall Gates, is outside Newcastle, so did anyone check the other Newcastle Churches from the link?
I'll have a look.

Scott - Gibson
Coincidence, or connection ... Hull Advertiser 16 January 1813

Summergangs, Near Hull.
At the House of William Scott, known by the Sign of the Nag's Head, in Summergangs ...
Lot I Sale of the Nag's Head and Garden.
A Tenement adjoining the Nag's Head Inn, and in the occupation of Perceval Wilkinson.
Lot II & III were late in the occupation of Mr H. Gibson, or lately occupied Henry Gibson, respectively.

At the bottom of advert, the owner was given as Henry Gibson.

Possible burial for Richard Gibson?
Provided nobody else is claiming it belongs to another Richard ...

Kirk-Heaton Parish Register of 1821 for August. (D 160/1/5/1 found on Ancestry)
Richard Gibson, Abode Dalton, 15th, 56 years.

Ancestry Member - Hood / Wistow
The Ancestry member Story, I wonder if the Member has seen a Hood plaque, in one of the surrounding Parish Churches, not recorded in the Register?

Will check Wm Wheater's book again, but the only Hood, was Matthew Hood marrying Elizabeth Byard at Wistow.

Matthew Hood (a Chirurgus) and Elizabeth Hood were buried in Selby Abbey 1717 & 1732 respectively.

Parhaps, the Ancestry Member has seen a Hood Memorial / Plaque in one of the surrounding churches?

Other Hood Marriage at Brayton - 1732

EDIT Nathanael Hood of Selby and Anne Loftas of Brayton married 11th January.

Perhaps a Hood Memorial or Plaque or Grave memorial inside / outside Wistow / Brayton (or surrounding) Church?

But nothing in the Register for Sept 1845.

Selby Abbey - Sexton Book
Had a reply, re Sexton Book, the Archive did not hold it, so will try the other Archive there (in same City).

Regards Mark.

EDIT : Rumoured that the Vicar of either Wistow / Brayton fell out with the Bishop and ripped out/up, some of the original Parish Register pages?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 09:18 BST (UK) »
This Hall Gates, is outside Newcastle, so did anyone check the other Newcastle Churches from the link?

Hall Gates fell within the Parish of St Andrew, Newcastle. It is very much in Newcastle, not outside.
Use http://maps.familysearch.org/ and search Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew, which shows the extent of the parish.
Just searching Newcastle upon Tyne on the same site will show you all the parishes.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 09:38 BST (UK) »

Regards Mark

The link I gave was correct. It simply took you to the baptism referred to by Claire in reply #7......Newcastle All Saints, 6 June 1762  :)

If after checking all Anglican churches, Nonconformist baptisms and Quakers births and your left with only the baptism of Richard son of Thomas Gibson All Saints Newcastle 1762.

Considering Richard Gibson was younger than his wife ? a bit of fibbing could have been going on with Richard about his age 26 at marriage 1792 Selby- (it won't be first time thats happened ! Thinking of my dads age at marriage which seem to change a few years when he retired at 65. and mum discovered his real age [bit of verbal ear bashing went on for weeks after}----- ;D --- ;D---- ;D )

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

Regardless of Richard Gibson, the Cooper being elusive at birth and death, I still believe there is something in the John Hood = Elizabeth Gibson marriage, it is the 'd' on the George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage Alleg/Bond and John Hood signatures, the stick is brought through itself, forming a circular pattern.

I'll have a look.

Scott - Gibson
Coincidence, or connection ... Hull Advertiser 16 January 1813

Summergangs, Near Hull.
At the House of William Scott, known by the Sign of the Nag's Head, in Summergangs ...
Lot I Sale of the Nag's Head and Garden.
A Tenement adjoining the Nag's Head Inn, and in the occupation of Perceval Wilkinson.
Lot II & III were late in the occupation of Mr H. Gibson, or lately occupied Henry Gibson, respectively.

At the bottom of advert, the owner was given as Henry Gibson.

Ancestry Member - Hood / Wistow
The Ancestry member Story, I wonder if the Member has seen a Hood plaque, in one of the surrounding Parish Churches, not recorded in the Register?

Will check Wm Wheater's book again, but the only Hood, was Matthew Hood marrying Elizabeth Byard at Wistow.

Matthew Hood (a Chirurgus) and Elizabeth Hood were buried in Selby Abbey 1717 & 1732 respectively.

Parhaps, the Ancestry Member has seen a Hood Memorial / Plaque in one of the surrounding churches?

Other Hood Marriage at Brayton - 1732

EDIT Nathanael Hood of Selby and Anne Loftas of Brayton married 11th January.

Perhaps a Hood Memorial or Plaque or Grave memorial inside / outside Wistow / Brayton (or surrounding) Church?

But nothing in the Register for Sept 1845.

Selby Abbey - Sexton Book
Had a reply, re Sexton Book, the Archive did not hold it, so will try the other Archive there (in same City).

Regards Mark.

EDIT : Rumoured that the Vicar of either Wistow / Brayton fell out with the Bishop and ripped out/up, some of the original Parish Register pages?

Looked at Road Map Kirkheaton and Dalton, are in Northumberland (Dalton near Ponteland), WNW direction from Newcastle.

Age at burial of this Richard Gibson, gives birth year circa 1765.

EDIT

And

"DALTON, a township in the parish of KIRKHEATON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from Huddersfield, containing 2289 inhabitants."

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Kirkheaton/Kirkheaton35.html

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 13:15 BST (UK) »

Looked at Road Map Kirkheaton and Dalton, are in Northumberland (Dalton near Ponteland), WNW direction from Newcastle.

Age at burial of this Richard Gibson, gives birth year circa 1765.

EDIT

And

"DALTON, a township in the parish of KIRKHEATON, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from Huddersfield, containing 2289 inhabitants."

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Kirkheaton/Kirkheaton35.html

I couldn't make out yesterday if it was a WYAS scan, but something led me to believe it was, but just discovered there is another Kirkheaton, with a Dalton township near Huddersfield.