Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121441 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 08:54 BST (UK) »

Doh !! Senior moment.

With it now :) You would expect an Elizabeth somewhere after the marriage. What a pity the BT's did not cover the earlier years for us to see.

I did look in those BTs upto c1785 and couldn't see another mention of a Gibson bar one burial of a labourer Joseph G.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire and All

When a child of Richard Gibson's was born/bapt at Selby, the Selby Parish Register stated Richard Gibson was the son of Thomas Gibson of Hall's Gates, Nr Newcastle.

Alan has pointed out that occurrences at Halls Gate appear in the Gosforth Register, but parts of the BTs are missing online.

dobfarm has found an image for Thomas son of Thomas Gibson in 1769, which supports Alan's information, that those of Hall's Gate were baptised at Gosforth.

Rather than just accept the 1762 Newcastle Baptism of Richard Gibson to father Thomas Gibson, which does not tally with Richard Gibson's age at his 1792 Marriage at Selby and also with so many Gibson families at Newcastle, then I feel, we ought to have a holiday nearby and go and look at the actual Gosforth Registers (as BTs covering some of the 1760s are missing online) and hopefully there is a Richard Gibson Baptism and others in the Parish of Gosforth (where those of Hall's Gate were baptised), which corresponds with his marriage age and a baptism of circa 1766 (not 1762).

I hope to get sight of these Bankruptcy Registers and Indexes, it would be great, if they say Gibson's Selby Cooper business was taken over by Nephew George Hood and the BT 98 Muster Rolls, as John Hood, was a Mariner.

After all this, I am only trying to firm up the George Hood to John Hood link, using dobfarm's original suggestion and the wonderful input and suggestions from you and others, I've had on here and on other threads (see my sketch, a few posts back, yesterday).

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 11:55 BST (UK) »

Well I hope you have a lovely holiday that proves beneficial in your quest for answers, and don't forget to negotiate your wife's shopping allowance accordingly - us women don't come cheap :D :D
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
Copies of the Gosforth registers are held at Tyne & Wear Archives, which are in Newcastle itself, and also at Woodhorn (Northumberland Archives).
Transcripts are also held at Newcastle Central Library
http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Gosforth/ChurchRecords.html

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
Gosforth Baptisms are on the IGI.

The only Gibson baptism showing there to a father named Thomas is the 1769 Thomas.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01id4/

Unless there is a gap in the record?

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
If you note earlier discussions on where Halls Gates was located and maps links by Jenb and 1854 map by myself: You will note;- St Andrews covered Town moor and Nuns moor where Halls Gate is located.

Parish boundaries are not straight lines and the parish church is not always located in the centre of a parish and sometimes a road to a boarding parish church is nearer, closer and easier to get too in those days because of poor road networks in bad weather or winter. It is not unusual to find an entry in a parish register with an abode located in the next parish.

The main objective is to find by grouping children born/baptized after a marriage of a Thomas Gibson !!! looking for year where two independent family child baptisms pop up by a Thomas Gibson or sudden start appearing in a register as baptism or child burials after a marriage. (Not always in the same parish church but near ones.)

Also I said earlier Bond and Dades parish age at marriage of the couple 18th century are not always dead accurate +/- a year or two.

Its also not unusual for ancestry trees to dry up to a  hard stop dead halt, around mid 1700's with no age at death before pre registers 1812 ancestors, or pre 1754 simple naming couple only in a single line entry marriage -  thus commanding 19th century accuracy of confirmation like post 1841 census and  1837 BMD certificates is not even in the thought range pre 1812 registers. (Apart from dades registers.)

All you can do is put alternatives with the best possible to the best probable tree and this Newcastle theory is a strong possible to try a make a very strong probable at best.

We will all wait in wonder!! of your finding in Northumberland/Durham research Mark like waiting for the ending of a good book manuscript by its author

Good luck

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Thursday 01 September 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
If no entry can be found of Elizabeth Gibson 1758 to 1760 and Richard Gibson 1766 to 1767 in Gosforth parish register.

Then All Saints Newcastle (Tyne) by occupation.

From the few pages not missing in BT's Fam/search baptisms

Need to check occupation of Thomas father of Elizabeth Gibson baptism All Saints Newcastle church register 1759

Richard son of Thomas Gibson a Yeo (Yeoman is a farmer small freeholder) 2nd June 1762 All Saints Newcastle

Mary daughter of Thomas Gibson a Ship wright 27 Aug 1769 All Saints Newcastle page 19

Thomas son of Thomas Gibson a Maltmaker 29 th Oct 1769 All Saints Newcastle page 18 last entry above Steptember bap entries.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Friday 02 September 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
Had a flick through the Gosforth transcriptions at Newcastle Library this morning. No further Gibson records around the right time. There were a few baptisms and burials from other families resident at Halls Gate. John Anderson burial 1765. Robson and Reay baptisms 1784 and 1785.

The Elizabeth Gibson baptism at Newcastle All Saints, 5 Aug 1759, father Thomas Gibson - Brewer.
Probably the Malt Maker from the 1769 Thomas Gibson baptism.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Friday 02 September 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
Putting aside Richard Gibson a Cooper Wren lane Selby history for the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Elizabeth Gibson baptism at Newcastle All Saints, 5 Aug 1759, father Thomas Gibson - Brewer.

Working only on John Hood born 1756 X Elizabeth Gibson born 1759 marriage 1779 All Saints Newcastle,

George Hood son of John Hood (Possible John Hood innkeeper Ship inn)baptism 1786

George Hood b 1787 - d1845 Selby a Cooper, brewer, tanner - businessman/farmer?-  wife Sarah Straw hat maker/Groser selling alcohol in Selby