Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121432 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #252 on: Saturday 08 October 16 15:46 BST (UK) »
John Hood

Dates
1776-1800

Gateshead

publican food/drink

ship, South shore, Gateshead

Source

Listed in An Account of Newcastle-on-Tyne, 1787, WHITEHEAD, William. Newcastle; Printed by T. Angus for the Author & Sold by him on the Middle of High Bridge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Hood

dates 1801-1825 ( 1825 could be John Hood's death year)

Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland

publican food/drinks

Rose and Crown, New Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland

Listed in A General Directory for Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead & Places Adjacent, 1824 ?. Newcastle, [Durham]; Printed for the Publisher ... 1824. [Printer, Francis Humble, Durham ]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Husband a mariner at marriage could be influenced to stay on land by a new wife (a very good reason to change occupations ie; wife's worry and marriage to have  husband at home to have/raise a family (or night time activities    ;D ;D)

Could be the John Hood buried in Ballast Hills Graveyard

http://www.tynesidesilentcities.com/page_ballasthills_burialground.htm

Must go as someone keeps waving a duster at me and pointing at the vac .  :-[  >:(

Thanks for your notes dobfarm, I'll look at them and try a few searches.

Wanted to reply on:-
John Hood, publican of the Ship, Gateshead

The scan (extract) of the page, I have previously posted was from Whiteheads 1787 Directory, so you've seen it.

~~~~~~~~----------

Re a John Hood you feel he died circa 1825.

Newcastle Journal, 22 Sep 1832
In this town, in Pandon Bank, on the 13th inst. Mr Jas. Faddy, jun. aged 30; and on the 19th inst. Mrs Hood, sister of the above.

This book by E. Mackenzie was published 1827 and the part on Ballast Hills cemetery names a John Hood and James Faddy on the same line.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1JvkAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA413&lpg=PA413&dq=%22john+Hood%22+%22James+Faddy%22&source=bl&ots=51NNMLIwUh&sig=lp3NkAz4EU0vE1Gy1Dr8vTrbWks&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtmIy1qcvPAhWrCsAKHblQBK8Q6AEIGzAA

Ballast Hills was a Dissenters Cemetery, so John Hood buried at Ballast Hills, unlikely to be George's dad unless he changed from C of E.

Done a search of North-east news Hood Obits (Brit. Newsp. Archive) and Directories and I can link up a James Hood, of Pandon Bank, to being a former Baker of Gateshead, whether James Hood fits in possibly with my George Hood, or the other Jabez and Anthony Hood lot of "Windmill Hills" Gateshead, is unclear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The next James Hood to crop up in Gateshead area after James Hood the Baker, is James Hood, the Shipowner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't view it, but throwing Hood and Selby into Ancestry search earlier, with some random dates circa 1800 & 1810 etc., with -/+ 10 years has thrown up two submissions to Ancestry ....

Margaret Hood 1773 Bagby village &

unviewable image of James Hood & Mary Morrison MARRIAGE Parish of Sunderland, linked to James Hood born 1787, so off to see, if any BT image.
No occupation for James Hood. BT copy of marriage has 11th November 1816, (Morrison in BT spelt Morrinson), both of this Parish, no Hood witness [image 518].

I've got hundreds of pages of Hood notes (mainly from BNA), when reading them occasionally, it is possible to link one Hood up to another, or one Hood here, with other Hood/s elsewhere, even when a spouse dies.

-----------------------------------------------

My George Hood seems a loner, can't really positively link him with anyone.

------------------------------------------------

A George Hood is mentioned in the Samuel Hirst diaries dated online (c.1831 - 1833, I think). Samuel Hirst dined with a George Hood, but can't be entirely sure which George Hood, as Hirst purchased a hunter [horse] from George Hood.

Although, my George had Stables at Gowthorpe, the George Hood of the Boroughbridge Arms was selling horses, around this period.

--------------------------------------------------------

So when an Emma Hirst born Ledsham, Yorks, showed up in the Hood household as a "Visitor" in the 1891 Census of Charles Hood born Selby, my brain cogs started.

Bumblebee answered some related queries thank you, but I checked at Library for Emma Hirst and she remains a mystery visitor to the Charles Hood, born Selby, household.

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #253 on: Saturday 08 October 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
Although, it is claimed Richard Gibson's Bankruptcy file was not saved, I've got a list of other possible archives, retaining papers, relating to Bankruptcy.

Photograph extracts are from a volume titled "Docket Book 1806 To 1808 " Cat. Ref. B 4/28 (TNA).

According to the r/h page Col. Headings ...
John James was the Solicitor or Agent.
Residence: Grays Inn Place.
Docket Struck: 21st May [procedure sometimes called - Striking A Docket].
Commission: 30th May 1807.

This was followed by the L.G. Notice, for Richard Gibson to attend meetings at the Guildhall, in June & July 1807.

When the Certificate was issued in 1810, the Certificates Register gives Richard Gibson's address as Little Britain, London.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Sunday 09 October 16 00:59 BST (UK) »
Another long shot

Can't find a marriage or death for George William Hood in uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
George William Hood is on the land Tax 1810 Holbon (Near Grays Inn) ST SEPULCHRE,LONDON then disapears off the Land tax

Richard Gibson was residing in London 1810

William Hood first son of George & Sarah Hood bapt 16th May 1816

George William Hood   
 baptism    24 Aug 1783   
 Christening Place     ST SEPULCHRE,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND   
 Birth Date     26 Jul 1783   
 Father's Name    Daniel Hood     
 Mother's Name    Jane 

Grandson of George and Sarah Hood

George William Hood

burial:

14 August 1857

Selby, Brayton, York, England
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Sunday 09 October 16 03:15 BST (UK) »
unviewable image of James Hood & Mary Morrison MARRIAGE Parish of Sunderland, linked to James Hood born 1787, so off to see, if any BT image.
No occupation for James Hood. BT copy of marriage has 11th November 1816, (Morrison in BT spelt Morrinson), both of this Parish, no Hood witness [image 518].

This James Hood is a Mariner, and his known children baptised in Sunderland are:
 2 Jan 1822  Jane Cockson Hood (could the middle name be connected to Jane/James Cockin?)
14 Sep 1824 Thomas Hood
16 Dec 1827 Catherine
2 Dec 1831 Sarah Hood, born 3 Nov 1831. (Image 55)

The abode for all baptisms was Ropery Lane.

Possible scenario?

1756 George Hood m Eleanor Wetherston, All Saints, Newcastle
1769 James s/o George Hood, Cordwainer
1771 George Hood aboard HMS Orford & writes will
1792 Marriage in Hull of James Hood & Ann Phillips
Baptism Tynemouth:
1795 James s/o James & Ann Hood of North Shore, Mariner
1798 Mary Ann d/o James Hood of North Shore, Mariner, native of All Saints by his wife Ann Phillips native of Hull
1800 Eleanor d/o James Hood & Ann Phillips
1802 George 2nd s/o James Hood of North Shore, Mariner Native of All Saints parish by his wife Ann Philips native of Hull
10 Nov 1816 James Hood & Mary Morrison, Sunderland

The family is still at Ropery Lane in 1841.  Thomas is an apprentice shoemaker.

This may also be connected:
Newcastle Courant 08 October 1841
At Bishopwearmouth, in Albion Place, on the 29th Ult aged 22, Mary daughter of James Hood, Mariner
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Sunday 09 October 16 04:51 BST (UK) »
Ropery lane will drive Mark nuts with Gibson's and Hood's

There's a few households Hood's and Gibson's - some mixed in same household

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Agibson~%20%2Bresidence_place%3Asunderland~&collection_id=1493745

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQBH-26F

Elizabeth North    F 50-54 Durham
 George North    M 20-24 Durham
 Elizabeth North    F 15-19 Durham
 Mary Henderson    F 20-24 Durham
 Jane Henderson    F 1 Durham
  Mary Hood   F 50-54 Durham
 Thomas Hood    M 16-20 Durham
 Catherine Hood    F 12 Durham
 Sarah Hood    F 9 Durham
 John Gibson    M 27-31 Durham
 Ann Gibson    F 25-29 Durham
 Elizabeth Gibson    F 5 Durham
 James Gibson    M 1 Durham

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQBC-8VH

https://wilthewonenamestudy.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/william-wilthew-pt-1-the-ups-and-downs-of-ropery-lane/

“William Wilthew, formerly of Ropery-lane, High-street, Publican, under the name of William Gibson, then of the White Lion, Union-lane, High-street aforesaid, Publican, under the name of Samuel Brown, and late of Union laneaforesaid,- all-in Sunderland near the Sea, Durham, Publican.”
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Sunday 09 October 16 06:01 BST (UK) »
Got a feeling John Hood mariner husband of Elizabeth Gibson marriage 1779 Newcastle
 possible  father John Hood of George Hood baptism 1786 Gateshead

John Hood.died in Newburn Tyneside  1786 burial across the river from Gateshead----- hence no more sibling bro's or sis's of George Hood b 1786 and seemingly no future on records of him, also would explain a lot why George Hood d 1845 Selby does not seem to have immediate relo's popping up in searches or his own history pre 1812.

A loose cannon except for Elizabeth (Gibson) Hood his mum and she could have died pre 1812 George Hood's arrival in Selby and possible uncle Richard Gibson his father form Newcastle on tyne.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Sunday 09 October 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
There is a double line after the Henderson's & North's so I think that's a different dwelling, but the Hoods & Gibson's are separate households within the same dwelling as far as I can tell.  John Gibson is a shoemaker. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Sunday 09 October 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
Another long shot

Can't find a marriage or death for George William Hood in uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
George William Hood is on the land Tax 1810 Holbon (Near Grays Inn) ST SEPULCHRE,LONDON then disapears off the Land tax

Richard Gibson was residing in London 1810

William Hood first son of George & Sarah Hood bapt 16th May 1816

George William Hood   
 baptism    24 Aug 1783   
 Christening Place     ST SEPULCHRE,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND   
 Birth Date     26 Jul 1783   
 Father's Name    Daniel Hood     
 Mother's Name    Jane 

Grandson of George and Sarah Hood

George William Hood

burial:

14 August 1857

Selby, Brayton, York, England

Thanks for the above.

After William Hood's death at Selby in 1870, aged 54 years (William - first Selby bapt of George and Sarah Hood, nee Russell), Jane Hood (alias Jane Casson Hood) is mentioned in 1893 as living at Westfield in the Parish of Brayton.

But no George Hood Sept 1845 burial listed at Brayton.

However ...
"Info from Goughy Nathaniel Hood marr Anne Loftas in 1732 at Brayton"

Think Loftas (or its variant) has cropped up again in one of the related threads, I'll have to chk my notes.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Sunday 09 October 16 11:19 BST (UK) »

This James Hood is a Mariner, and his known children baptised in Sunderland are:
 2 Jan 1822  Jane Cockson Hood (could the middle name be connected to Jane/James Cockin?)
14 Sep 1824 Thomas Hood
16 Dec 1827 Catherine
2 Dec 1831 Sarah Hood, born 3 Nov 1831. (Image 55)

The abode for all baptisms was Ropery Lane.

Possible scenario?

1756 George Hood m Eleanor Wetherston, All Saints, Newcastle
1769 James s/o George Hood, Cordwainer
1771 George Hood aboard HMS Orford & writes will
1792 Marriage in Hull of James Hood & Ann Phillips
Baptism Tynemouth:
1795 James s/o James & Ann Hood of North Shore, Mariner
1798 Mary Ann d/o James Hood of North Shore, Mariner, native of All Saints by his wife Ann Phillips native of Hull
1800 Eleanor d/o James Hood & Ann Phillips
1802 George 2nd s/o James Hood of North Shore, Mariner Native of All Saints parish by his wife Ann Philips native of Hull
10 Nov 1816 James Hood & Mary Morrison, Sunderland

The family is still at Ropery Lane in 1841.  Thomas is an apprentice shoemaker.

This may also be connected:
Newcastle Courant 08 October 1841
At Bishopwearmouth, in Albion Place, on the 29th Ult aged 22, Mary daughter of James Hood, Mariner

Thanks for this Jomot

Not sure if already mentioned, but whilst looking for the two baptism images (reminder from Claire), found a burial image of Eleanor Hood, 27 April 1782 in Tynemouth B.T., (image number 100). Eleanor W: of Geo'e. Hood No: Sh: Mari'r. 

I've transcribed what looks to be 'Sh:' as 'Sh:', but wondering quite what it is an abbreviation of? Wondered if short for Shields, or something else?

No George Hood Sep 1845 burial though at Tynemouth.

Also gone & attached (might as well leave it) 14th December 1783 Baptism of Eleanor D: of John Hood Shire Moor Mari'r.

Regards Mark