Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121424 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #288 on: Monday 10 October 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
George Hood's age at marriage and death suggest a birth of circa 1785 to 1787.

So began collecting some photocopies of documents involving a Hood (born Yorkshire) at the Library:-
mainly birthplaces off 1851 Census,
the odd marriage,
odd burial &
a narrow range off my IGI Yorks Hood surname p/copies of IGI fiche,

where the age of the Hood, or Hood Spinster involved, could be a possible brother or sister of George.

Obviously, many adult Hoods (including my George) have died before 1851, including some bapt on the IGI Yorks copies of the fiche.

But, it would give me many Yorkshire Hoods by:- a) place of where a Hood was baptised and b) a date and name, (no parentage), just a simple list for the purpose of establishing places of a Yorkshire Hood origin only, (but enough to refer back to the record).

I never really finished it.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #289 on: Monday 10 October 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
I remember awhile ago reading that on legal documents the parish of birth had be referred to (not the parish of residence, but only to state residence as to say where they lived) of named persons on legal documents, similar to the poor, where the parish of birth was responsible for relief payments of people born in the parish and even if they lived in another parish in another part of the country

Ie Joe Blogg born in the parish of --------living at ------ in the parish of-------

Any idea on who George used as a solicitor being a business owner and if any documents of that solicitor survive ?

Food for thought.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 07:26 BST (UK) »
Here are the baptisms of Mary Ann & George Hood in Tynemouth:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ic3/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ic4/

Hello All

Looking for comments about the Hood - Scott link and came across Jomot's post on page 17 and the post immediately below Jomot's post (quoted above) has two links to images of James Hood, the Mariner from North Shields.

Baptisms Parish of Tynemouth 1798
It also says:- Mary Ann Hood ... 1 D. of James Hood of No Sh. Mar'r N[ative] of Alls'ts? ... by his Wife Ann Phillips Native of Hull

line above has ... Alls'ts. P Newcastle.

Also, a few pages back, I posted a couple of Register extract images and at Eleanor Hood's Tynemouth burial, it describes her as either wife or widow ... W: of Geo'e Hood No: Sh: Mari'r.
Page 29. Reply #260 on: Sunday 09 October 16 11:19 BST (UK)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.260

Regards Mark

EDIT
Trouble is, George Hood of Selby in his Marriage Docs and Deed Registrations, seemed to avoid Courts and when he was elected Overseer of the Poor in 1838, they only seem to have kept the 1837 election!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 11:01 BST (UK) »
I read it as All Saints.

Re the burial of Eleanor Hood, I looked through a few pages and if the deceased was a widow then this was indicated as "Wid".   
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
"Parker & Weddall" Selby
I emailed their successors, who have not even acknowledged.

and

Thomas Eadon, Solicitor.
Eadon was linked to the Mittons.

John Luke Haigh mentioned.

Shearburn, Eadon, Mitton and Clark mentioned here
http://www.howdenshirehistory.co.uk/snaith-shearburn-clark-family.html

Clarkson to Hood
One of the Maltkilns (Wren Lane) purchased by George Hood of Selby, was formerly and likely in the occupation Henry Mitton of Snaith, Maltster, Gentleman, but belonging to John Clarkson of Newport, Eastrington.

Petre and Others to Hood
I'm looking at the 1836 registration (purchase) of the premises by George Hood, lately occupied by George Hood, but at the last Survey [of the Manor - not found] were occupied by Richard Gibson and Thomas Holliday [possibly alias Halliday].

The document of Edward Robert Petre, was attested by Edward Parker of Selby, Gentleman and William White of No. 108 Cheapside in the City of London, Gentleman.

Those involved in the Release document:- William Henry Francis Lord Petre and Henry Charles Earl of Surrey Edward Robert Petre Charles Henry Pigot of Great Marlborough Street county of Middlesex Gentleman George Hood Wm Mafrey of Selby Merchant Edward White of Great Marlborough Street Gentleman and Jonathan Hutchinson of Selby ...

EDIT: seems the above names don't help me much.

~~~~~~~~---------------

This kicked off too, later in 1807 in London, mentioning William White deceased and asking for the Hoods at East Stoke, Hampshire (might just be a coincidence) ...

London, November 25, 1807.
Notice is hereby given to George Hood, William Hood,
and Richard Hood, the Three Sons of Richard Hood,
of the Parish of East-Stoke, Dorsetshire, by Rachael Hood,
his late Wife, the Nephews of William White, formerly
Servant to Mr. Quinnell, of Chichester, and late of Ripley,
in Surrey, deceased, that if they do not, on or before the 24th
of June next, apply to James Taplin, of Maid-Lane, South-
wark, Maltster, or Abraham Fenn, of Cobham, Surrey, Vic-
tualler, the Executors of the said Deceased, and prove them-
selves respectively to have been resident within that Part of
the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland called
Great Britain, in the Month of May 1806, when the said
Deceased died, they will be excluded from all Benefit which
otherwise they would be entitled to under the Will of their
late Uncle, the said William White, deceased.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16093/page/1638/data.pdf

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Friday 14 October 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
Regarding the two Richard Gibson, London Gazette notices of 1807 and 1810, posted here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.144

B 6/15 Certificates 1810 . 1811
Index "Gibson Richard 44"

Page 44 says:-
Richard Gibson of Little Britain London
late of Selby in the County of York
Cooper Dealer and Chapman. 6th April 1810

B 4/28 Bankruptcy 'Docket Book' 1806 To 1808
Lists Richard Gibson, Cooper, Selby, stating ...
Docket Struck 21st May and the Commission 30th May 1807

Sadly in Gibson's case, there was little new information, only that he was in Little Britain London, in 1810.

Mark

Hello All

Thank you very much for replies.

Despite its catalogued date, I feel, we need to see this Will, to see if it is the same Gibson family? Perhaps the Hood - Gibson link was already established in a business way.

Will of Richard Gibson, Innholder of Little Britain London
PROB 11/800/419
27 March 1753
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D572084

The 'posh' Hoods (as dobfarm calls them) of Newcastle and Gateshead were involved with the Newcastle Hostmen (three Hood generations), a type of business cartel controlling the shipment of coal (and likely coal prices) from Newcastle to London. I posted some scan extracts from a book of the three Hood generations who were Newcastle Hostmen ... Page 26 Reply #225 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 23:37 BST (UK)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.225

Shipment of Newcastle coal to London.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostmen_of_Newcastle_upon_Tyne

Seems the working class Mariner Hoods were likely involved in the shipment, to London.

Mining is thirsty work and drink / brewing was heavily associated with mining areas and the Hood name too, hence my George Hood becoming a Brewer.

Control export & shipment, giving us Hood & Ryle of Newcastle and Hood Mariners and other families involved in the same work.

It is likely that each family involved, will have an Agent controlling the London end. Too much coal arriving and the price drops.

Regards Mark

William Ord, son of Thomas Ord were Newcastle Hostmen too and William Ord of Fenham Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, was near Halls Gates.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Friday 14 October 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
Well Little Britain is a known link or hard fact, to R Gibson a cooper, his dad was from Newcastle (Tyne) and Inn keepers did move about the country and the Hood Publican/Inn keepers around the Tyne area.

Which one was the loose cannon.

That other hard fact ! as a lonesome PR entry:-  no future -no links of before origins can be found baptism George Hood son of John 1786 Gateshead (NO sibings-Why - ?)

Least George Hood a Cooper Selby had a traceable future 1812 -1845

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Friday 14 October 16 17:14 BST (UK) »

The Will of Richard Gibson 1753 has been discussed before. All his money stocks goods and chattels were bequeathed to his wife Elizabeth Gibson. There is no mention of family. The witnesses were a John Jackson and John Sharp.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Friday 14 October 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
This may have been posted before, but I'm losing track.

Morning Advertiser 18 August 1830
BREWING Utensils - To be sold a capital Ten-bushel Mash-tub, a square Cooler and Under-back, a quantity of 63, 36, 30 and 18 gallon Casks, a capital Narrow-wheel Cart with chain sides, light and very strong, three large Sugar baskets - the above will be sold cheap. Apply to Richard Gibson No, 71 Blackfriars Road

Richard Gibson of Newcastle/Selby/Little Britain would have been close to 70 by 1830, but thought it worth mentioning for the connection to brewing.

Edited:  Seems this Richard Gibson was a grocer - he petitioned for the bankruptcy of Henry Gilbert, Grocer & Tea Dealer per Perry's Bankrupt Gazette 23 October 1828.  Also petitioned against Christopher Morris in 1820.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.