Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121422 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #378 on: Saturday 29 October 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
Cannot find a burial for Jane as Poppleton or variant. On the 24th Nov 1724 a ROBERT POPPLETON married a JANE JARROTT at Holme on Spalding Moor.

There is a burial of a Jane Poppleton in SELBY Dr. of Robert Poppleton 23 May 1755.

A burial also of Robert Poppleton Selby 4 Oct 1774, which is interesting.

I'm wondering if the earlier burial of Jane is the mother ? Maybe a mistake in the register.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #379 on: Saturday 29 October 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has the following at Costa Mill:

John Hood 74 Miller    
Eleanor Hood 74      
Elizabeth Hood 45      
John Hood 14 
Eleanor Hood 7
All born in County

And at nearby Westgate, Pickering:
John Hood 48 Miller   
Rachel Hood 40 
William Hood 11      
George Hood 9      
Jane Hood 5      
Elizabeth Hood 1 

The two John's would appear to be father and son:
10 Jun 1792, Middleton in Pickering– John Hood 25 & Eleanor Smith 25 by Licence
10 Mar 1793 John Hood s/o John of Costa Mill
07 Aug 1794 Elizabeth Hood d/o John & Eleanor of Costa Mill

The age on the census and at marriage put John Sr's birth at 1767, as does his burial in 1863, but I cannot find a baptism for him.

1798 Land Tax records for Middleton show a John Hood and also a William Hood.

I wonder if there is any significance in John & Rachel naming a son George?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Saturday 29 October 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
A Miller and Maltster playing with grain were much the same
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Saturday 29 October 16 21:22 BST (UK) »
Claire found these familysearch resources not me. (dobfarm)

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/729257?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Quote from Mark on Resources board

Thanks dobfarm

Great find, thank you.

Should be at least one other reel of images before this lot, too, according to the leader.

I'd seen a 1788 Window Tax document (no Hoods in at all in 1788).

I see, by the late 1850s the Gowthorpe Tan Yard of John Hood (widow Mrs Hood carried this on for a while, after John Hood's death) must have been sold, because Mary Jackson is the owner.

The other Tan Yard occupied by son George Hood is now owned by Hutchinson.

Please take a note of the image number, if anyone should find any 1845 burial reference, to George Hood, coffin, or taken to the bier-house at ?? etc, or put on train / water transport to ??

Thanks Mark

~~~~~~~~-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9F6-4JY6?i=720

page 721

1788 Window tax

Jn'o Hood Miller

Jane Poppleton inkeeper
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Saturday 29 October 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thank you very much for all this brilliant work and tireless effort.

Re: 1789 Selby Window Tax (images).

I saw the actual 1788 Selby Window Tax document in the flesh and I looked at this very carefully for 1788, as I was expecting to find a John Hood mentioned, but I did not.

I noted it as Jno Wood Miller (NOT STRUCK OUT by the way in 1788), as there was a fine line off the bottom of the right stick of what seemed to be a H (which you can also see on the image, I have had in MS Pic Manager restore and then darkened).

I now wonder if it was meant to say John Hood, but when any mistake creeps into these documents that are written up each year, the mistake tends to get accidentally copied.

What does the Selby Land Tax (on Anc.) say for Hood & J. Hood etc., for these years (as it usually gives the occupier, but no occupation)?

Wood should probably say HOOD
After looking at the Selby Parish Transcriptions, it is my belief it probably should say HOOD as the only John Woods (of any threat) recorded (transcribed by Yorks Arch. Soc.) are:-

29 Jul 1793 John WOOD died Selby, Sailer and a Stranger Drowned by accident aged 20 & buried in the Ch Yard.

29 Jan 1804 John WOOD baptised 2nd son of Thomas [of] Selby, Ironfounder Born 26th Jan

The following are listed as Millers:-

Henry Anderson d.1796 a Miller
John Anderson d.1798, a Miller
Joseph Anderson was a Miller when he married Mary Wilson 1799
John Clarkson and Wm Clarkson of Osgodby Hemingbrough Parish was a Miller
1779 Wm Beck was a Miller when Hannah his wife died
Richard Attey, Ottey / Otty had been Millers in the past
Wm Brown a miller
Wm Cockle was a miller 1780
Cocks was a Miller when child bapt 1796
Robert Conway of Snaith 1801
Wm Clarkson of Brayton a miller
John Coverdale a miller
Samuel Heap 1793 - 1799
Fairweather of Cliff, Hemingbrough had been a miller
James Pocklington a miller 1801
John & Richard Quartan 1812
Thomas Reed 1781
John Dean of Castleforth
James Smith 1785
Joseph Taylor 1784
Benjamin Butterfield of Hemingbrough

Is this John Hood, Miller (seemingly written as Wood) in 1788, but none to be found in the Selby Parish transcriptions, but perhaps Wood never had any event to record at Selby?

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Saturday 29 October 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm :)

BEAT ME TO IT BushInn1746, here are my observations from records on Anc*

I've been looking at that image over and over and I'm not convinced it is Jo. HOOD, I think it looks like Jo. Wood

But there is something odd in the Tax records on Anc*

From 1781 - 1786 John Hood appears with Mrs Slipper in a house owned by Mr Turner

From 1781 - 1786 Jane Poppleton  is in homes owned by T Coates and Widow Hawcroft .

No tax record for 1787.

1788 '89 and 1790 Jane Poppleton appears in the records in a home owned by JNO WOOD.

1788 '89 and 1790 NO records for J HOOD,  he next appears in 1795 in the records in a home owned by Mr Spencer

Jno WOOD appears in years upto 1795 as owner and occupier

No Jane Poppleton after 1790

Confused ???
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: Saturday 29 October 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
Claire found these familysearch resources not me. (dobfarm)

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/729257?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Quote from Mark on Resources board

Thanks dobfarm

Great find, thank you.

Should be at least one other reel of images before this lot, too, according to the leader.

I'd seen a 1788 Window Tax document (no Hoods in at all in 1788).

I see, by the late 1850s the Gowthorpe Tan Yard of John Hood (widow Mrs Hood carried this on for a while, after John Hood's death) must have been sold, because Mary Jackson is the owner.

The other Tan Yard occupied by son George Hood is now owned by Hutchinson.

Please take a note of the image number, if anyone should find any 1845 burial reference, to George Hood, coffin, or taken to the bier-house at ?? etc, or put on train / water transport to ??

Thanks Mark

~~~~~~~~-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9F6-4JY6?i=720

page 721

1788 Window tax

Jn'o Hood (WOOD ?) Miller

Jane Poppleton inkeeper

updated

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: Saturday 29 October 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
1788 '89 and 1790 NO records for J HOOD,  he next appears in 1795 in the records in a home owned by Mr Spencer
1790 is transcribed as Jno Hoad in property owned by what looks like LT Jno Spencer.   Bracketed with Jno Hood/Hoad is Robt Owen.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Saturday 29 October 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Have noticed not many records 1795 to 1812 Selby in FS