Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121434 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #396 on: Sunday 30 October 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Where was your line of granddad's born back to George Hood d 1845

ie Granddad

GT Granddad

GT x 2

GT x 3

etc to

to George Hood d1845
-----------------------------
Window tax -- They were use linking marks (})for other adults ie:- Jno Wood- Jane Poppleton assume same abode
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #397 on: Sunday 30 October 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I have descended from John Hood, Tanner and Bone Crusher of Selby, who married Sarah Richardson at Sculcoates and died Selby 1860 and obviously his father Ol' secretive George Hood married Selby 1815.

I've resisted putting the last few generations on, due to a privacy request.

Where we think, we'll go with this next I think, is Leeds Special Collections (who don't have a Selby Baptism for George) and see if there are any Quakers in this gap, because Quakers and Jews were allowed to have their own separate registration.

Quakers were like Mariners, they moved about to set up new meetings, or strengthen existing meetings, which could account for James Hood's movements too.

Selby Hoods - Pre Gap, 18th Cent.
Also I see John Hayes and Christiana Hood (believed to be a Selby Hood - pre gap) and Samuel Hood (recorded in the Selby Register) both appear to have married with a Bond. Samuel Hood has the Allegation too.

-----------------------

EDIT: Linking marks, possibly to show where one Messuage or Dwelling House, is divided into two or more Tenements. There were a few around Selby like this.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
 Was looking at George Hood bapt 1791 Leicestershire hence my question.

Thinking George Hood GT x 2 county residence from ?
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I have descended from John Hood, Tanner and Bone Crusher of Selby, who married Sarah Richardson at Sculcoates and died Selby 1860 and obviously his father Ol' secretive George Hood married Selby 1815.

I've resisted putting the last few generations on, due to a privacy request.

Where we think, we'll go with this next I think, is Leeds Special Collections (who don't have a Selby Baptism for George) and see if there are any Quakers in this gap, because Quakers and Jews were allowed to have their own separate registration.

Quakers were like Mariners, they moved about to set up new meetings, or strengthen existing meetings, which could account for James Hood's movements too.

Selby Hoods - Pre Gap, 18th Cent.
Also I see Christiana Hood (believed to be a Selby Hood - pre gap) and Samuel Hood (recorded in the Selby Register) both appear to have married with a Bond. Samuel Hood has an Allegation too.

-----------------------

EDIT: Linking marks, possibly to show where one Messuage or Dwelling House, is divided into two or more Tenements. There were a few around Selby like this.

Regards Mark

http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/gallery/browseimages.php?c=98

https://library.leeds.ac.uk/special-collections-leeds-cemetery-collection

http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb206-ms421

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Was looking at George Hood bapt 1791 Leicestershire hence my question.

Thinking George Hood GT x 2 county residence from ?

My 2 X Gt Grandfather (also called George Hood, born Selby to John Hood, Tanner) was a Commercial Traveller in the Leather Trade and had some link with "Henry Peters Tyler" but George Hood died.

I've only got the Inland Rev. (Tax) copy of his Geo Hood's Will mentioning Tyler, (but see info on Google and Peters Tyler / splitting of Tyler Bros in London Gazette) of Tyler Brothers, later the Tylers shoe chain, but George Hood went alone and set up an Office at Belvoir St Leicester, selling to the Leicester Shoe manufacturers, a big former shoe city.

Sadly much of the Leicester shoe making has all gone.

It saddens me greatly, that the youth here struggle to get a decent apprenticeship and all these great companies, are either gone, or turned over mostly to importing!

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thought you had checked out the Quaker records at Leeds uni library.

Tadcaster Quaker burial ground behind the Salvation army building comes under Selby authority

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: Sunday 30 October 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »

George Hood may not have been born 'Hood',  but was born illegitimately to 'Miss Blogs' who went on to marry a Hood.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Sunday 30 October 16 15:12 GMT (UK) »

George Hood may not have been born 'Hood',  but was born illegitimately to 'Miss Blogs' who went on to marry a Hood.

Thought has crossed dobfarm's and my mind.

Also, when there is no direct male Hood born (or dies young), sometimes a child, will take their mother's maiden surname (grandfather's surname) of Hood.

I had enquired with Leeds, but it was limited to a brief enquiry whether G.H. had a Quaker baptism - not found and a second enquiry re William Hood 1870 burial, which they have along with the Certificate releasing his body for burial.

Leeds have suggested, I ought to go and look at the Selby monthly and quarterly meetings and all the Selby births and burials.

Goughy looked at Catholics and the Methodists had little information.

Independent records for Selby don't survive before circa 1810/11 and another denomination, before late 1790s.

If this fails with Quakers, I'll pursue the Hood - Gibson suggestion, too.

Mark

Re Leeds General Cemetery:-
Rootschatter Calverley Lad has the Hoods listed at Leeds General Cemetery and the only George Hood burial in September 1845 is Staff Sgt George Hood (Army George), who died earlier in September (before my George Hood).

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
and Claire's mind  ;D

Don't ever underestimate Claire's talents - she's is very good at spotting overlooked or unknown stuff.

Also Jomot, Goughy and BumbleB as these are the best of the best of talented dedicated members along with other members who help  ;)

I just dabble in comparison  :-[.