Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121417 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #513 on: Sunday 18 June 17 20:46 BST (UK) »

I should point out that the wedding of Peter Hood surgeon took place in Brighton Sussex

His wife Edith Thomson was born in London 1805 the daughter of John Tyler Thomson and Edith

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #514 on: Sunday 18 June 17 22:52 BST (UK) »

Thomas Gibson and Elizabeth Brown:  ( married 1756) Their children

Elizabeth bpt.  5 August 1759:  likely wife of John HOOD and father of George H bn 1786 Gateshead

Richard  bpt. 6 June 1762  Cooper of Wren Lane Selby

Conflicting baptism dates of the children show there may be more than one Thomas Gibson baptising children in Newcastle 

Thomas bpt. 1 October 1769 and another 29 October 1769
Mary bpt. 27 August 1769
John bpt. 25 December 1765

claire

Page 1 in link

https://archive.org/stream/localrecordsorhi03sykeuoft#page/n9/mode/2up/search/hood+

Jan 20th The cooperage belonging to Mr James Brown on the East side of Tyne Brewery

Page 126

https://archive.org/stream/localrecordsorhi03sykeuoft#page/126/mode/2up/search/hood+

Feb 22 1840 Mr Petrie Mr Hood and Mr Thompson

If the census was Pontop Collierley (not Colliery - easy spelling mistake) there is a potential location for the cooperage building where the barrels were made

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733961.9

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: Sunday 18 June 17 23:24 BST (UK) »

I should point out that the wedding of Peter Hood surgeon took place in Brighton Sussex

His wife Edith Thomson was born in London 1805 the daughter of John Tyler Thomson and Edith

claire

Hi

Thank you Claire for all the information.

That leaves me wondering if there is any link between 'Tyler Thomson' and Tyler Brothers of Leicester and elsewhere.

Tyler Brothers,
Shoe and Leather Factors and Merchants, Belvoir Street, Leicester, (at dissolution in 1886) consisted of:-
Alfred Tyler
Josiah Tyler and
Henry Peters Tyler.

--------

Quoted from previous Rootschat post ...

... George Hood had been a Commercial Traveller in the Leather Trade and his Office address was Belvoir Street, Leceister.

... Tyler Brothers established 1862, his personal office was also at Belvoir Street, Leicester.

The Tyler Brothers partnership was dissolved in 1886 and they continued separately.

Henry Peters Tyler set up on his own in 1886 as H. P. Tyler selling boots and shoes, becoming H. P. Tyler Ltd. Tylers shoe shops.

End of quote
 --------

The first children of George Hood (my 2 x Gt G.) were born at Wigston Fields and I have since discovered that the Tylers owned a farm at Wigston, according to a sale advert.

Henry Peters Tyler relinquished his Executorship to my George Hood's Will, passing it to the other Executrix Cecilia Hood.

The year after George Hood of Leicester died, the Tyler Brothers business was dissolved and they went their separate ways.

When Tyler advertised some of their property for sale, it stated that the Tyler brothers were in disagreement or dispute.

Bit about the Tyler brothers here ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VCPVAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT47&lpg=PT47&dq=%22Henry+Peters+Tyler%22&source=bl&ots=04OR06exJc&sig=m2CKrOCmdmbMFeUTU909yz6L9HE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjck4PSrsjUAhVsIcAKHTcuDJMQ6AEIJDAE

I've always wondered if there was some relationship connection between a Hood and the Tylers, or if it was just the Leather Merchant trade.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: Sunday 18 June 17 23:28 BST (UK) »

Are you sure that's the correct one? I thought John Hood was at the 'Ship' on Spicer Lane (1778 in the occupation of Jos. Liddell.)

Or am I mistaken?

Thank you, for this 1778 Directory link. It seems Newcastle and Gateshead are together in the 1778 Directory.

See my Reply 55 page 7 of this thread for 1787 image extract ... Hood John, publican, fhip, South-fhore
North-shore was along the North side of the River.
South-shore was along the South side of the River.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.54

Several Ship pubs, when searching "ship" and "fhip".

Bear in mind this other chap is between Gibson and Hood, if it was the same pub, or same Licence (by transfer-see below).

Even though the Gibson example says 'near New-gate', if it doesn't turn out to be near South-shore, it might very occasionly still be the same License, as old Licences were held by the applicant. Also a pub name could very occasionally transfer to other premises.

Our 200 year old Victuallers Licenses, name the Victualler, Township or Parish name and that he/she must live at their premises and virtually all by then, are giving his/her pub or inn sign name.

Hopefully, an Annual Victuallers Register survives for the whole of the period (giving pub/inn name, with the Applicant and His/Her Bondsman) and it should possible to compare year by year, any changes, by elimination. Also any new pub names which appear, or those which disappear.

Yes dobfarm, late summer break being considered (but just negotiating wife's shopping allowance - Laugh O. Loud).

Kind regards, Mark

Newcastle Courant May 7 1825 James Brown Cooper Spicer lane
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: Sunday 18 June 17 23:32 BST (UK) »

The last time James Brown appears in the polling records for Newcastle under the Cooperage is 1849 on Broad Chare.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: Sunday 18 June 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Further to my post (last page) if you refer to John Cook's 1773 Will and also presented at the 1817 Administration (free download on the Durham Probate site), you will see a George Brown mentioned too.

Will of 1773 is not enough in its raw form and I can't quite understand what is going on either.

Seems both John Cook and wife are dead 1773, had left some property to daughter Elizabeth Cook, but her Guardians / Trustees might have sold up or Leased on a long term, Spencers and Ralph Gibson a Cooper mentioned.

--------

Still interested please, if there is any link of my Hood - Tyler business link, to this other Tyler, you found Claire?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: Sunday 18 June 17 23:51 BST (UK) »

Another daughter of John Tyler Thomson was Elizabeth Bruce Thomson

She married in 1847 a Thomas Turner Stocker ( Teacher of Drawing). On the marriage entry John Tyler Thomson was a coachmaker.

John Tyler T was born in London 1774 to a James and Mary Thomson

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: Monday 19 June 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire and dobfarm

A trip to see the Quaker Minutes can't come soon enough.

Let's hope there are a few jigsaw pieces, that will confirm George Hood's relations and/or origin.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: Monday 19 June 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Working on Richard Gibson cooper Selby son of Thomas Gibson farmer Halls gate Newcastle wife Elizabeth Brown of Bedlington, the mother of Elizabeth Gibson bn 1759 Newcastle married John Hood mariner 1779.

James Brown cooper - Ancestry ?

Tyne Brewery- Owners names ?