Author Topic: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche  (Read 15435 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Why don't you just put a piece of paper on top of the embossed stamp and then lightly rub a pencil over it to get an image on paper??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 17:21 BST (UK) »
hello Hallmark, yes I have tried that; but the results aren't clear enough.  I think the photograph once loaded onto the computer and enlarged will give a much clearer view of the letters.

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 16 October 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Can roots chat decipher the printed word on the bottom right corner of this photo. The word is 3 cm long. I think the photo was taken between 1901 and 1906. Unfortunately only the top third of the entire word remains because the photo has been trimmed to fit a frame. The letters are indented not printed with ink. I have found a similar font on Microsoft office 2003 known as the 'kunstler script' which could be used as a template. The name of the studio could help narrow my search for the townland origins of my grandmother possibly from Waterford County. Please have a go. Thank you, G96. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 27 October 16 18:27 BST (UK) »
The writing might be a studio name or even address rather than photographer's name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 27 October 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
The last bit might be "Ltd" - not much help, I'm afraid . .
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 27 October 16 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey and eadaoin, it's great to see rootschatters still following my search; i noticed that there hadn't been any response for a while.

i haven't made any great breakthroughs, it's difficult to pin down a townland and know that the location is without doubt the town my g'mother came from.

Is it possible to trace journeys from  Rosslare to the coast of England; are there passenger lists (or any type of record) for people travelling from Waterford County to the nearest port in England?
 The Ancestry and Find my Past sites only cover the transatlantic migrant routes.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 27 October 16 23:29 BST (UK) »

Is it possible to trace journeys from  Rosslare to the coast of England; are there passenger lists (or any type of record) for people travelling from Waterford County to the nearest port in England?
 The Ancestry and Find my Past sites only cover the transatlantic migrant routes.

No, there are no such records. You can still just go get a ticket, and get on the boat.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 28 October 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
thanks wexflyer, well that rules out another possibility to trace her.

I have used the Irishgeneology site that you recommended; it's been really useful and makes a lot more sense than the marriage transcripts that appear on Ancestry and Findmypast.

the records however on all sites don't seem to be entirely thorough; I suppose they can't put everything on the internet. From your experience is it necessary to look on a variety of search sites to get a more complete overview of records, will 'familysearch' for example have records that can't be found on 'Ancestry' or 'rootsireland' or 'geni'. Look forward to your post and thanks for any help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 28 October 16 11:51 BST (UK) »
What records are you looking for?

Irish genealogy site will eventually have all the civil certificates (births, marriages, deaths) to view (free). This will be births and deaths from 1864, all marriages from 1864 (non-Catholic ones from 1845).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!